Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 06-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Jitensha

Tokyo Game Show anyone!? ⌒▽⌒)

Hello, I'm planning to go to the Tokyo Game Show this September. I'm going to be moving to Japan...the first time I have gone to Japan by myself. It's a great country, just never lived in it before. XD I have never gone to a con in japan before either. I wanted to know if anyone is going to this!? I really want to go, and I'll be living in Chiba prefecture 千葉県(about an hour away). I will be going alone because my closest friends in Japan live reaaaally far away in Kagoshima (thats in southern Kyushu). Since I wont have many friends after living there for a month I wanted to know if someone wanted to meet up...preferrably a majority girl group...well I don't want to be raped by a strange man >_>; Not to bother you all day or anything like that, but to have lunch or something T_T and talk about cosplay or anything...I'm just very sad and lonely knowing I'll be leaving my friends and boyfriend behind (v_v)... or if you just want to post if you're going so I know how many gaijin but me will be there, well that would be great too :O

I'll be there studying for a yr+ so I'm scared outta my witts.

Last edited by Jitensha : 06-04-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Jitensha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

Hello Jitensha, I have went to TGS for the last 2 years and I will definitely be going again this year. (PS3, Wii !!! Nintendo don't show theirs in TGS but other companies will. Nintendo has their own private show)

I am not studying in Japan, but came all the way from Canada but I am Chinese. Depending on my time and $, might visit other parts of Asia as well. I usually take the train 京葉線 (from Tokyo to Chiba) to TGS. (Super crowded on that morning as it is in the same direction as Japan Disney Land)

Cosplaying in TGS is very different. For once, photographer and cosplayer are 1 to 1. Meaning photographer can take several photos while other photographer stand behind in a line waiting for their turn. They usually lined up in between the halls. Some cosplayers are hired by companies so they worked shift on the show floor as well.

I am a guy, so might not be what you preferred but if you want more info, I can definitely help. There are a lot of girls going to TGS, it is almost like going to a big school picnic. There are westerners going there as well. Last year I saw the Xplay crew.
(Anyone want to meet up with me, let me know)

Before the show, you can buy tickets at many game/anime stores. Will save you ~200Yen. Not too much but most people buy their tickets before hand.

Last edited by nightko : 06-05-2006 at 11:10 PM.
nightko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Jitensha

Can you buy the tickets through the internet? Also can the tickets run out!!? O_O; I've read in some cosplaying in Japan you need to pay extra fees for contest and other events. Do you know any fee's that need to be payed in TGS? And you're saying that TGS will be in Chiba? I know Tokyo Disneyland is technically in Chiba, no? I know I will be living about 20 min in car from Tokyo Disneyland, so if i don't have to waste so much money on a train that would be better ^^;
Unread 06-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

I don't think the ticket will run out or sold on the internet. You can buy it at door that day or buy it at other location before hand.

For TGS, Day 1 is restricted to media and industry people only, Day 2 and 3 is open to the public.

Train ticket are cheap, you are not using the bullet train, just normal public trains. Disneyland is in the station between Kaihin Makuhari and Tokyo. So I guess it is not Chiba yet. I might be wrong though.

TGS is held at Makuhari Messe (Mihama-ku, Chiba City), get off at Kaihin Makuhari Train Station. [Taking the JR Keiyo Line] Get some info where exactly you will be, you might be living very close to the convention hall already.

The ticket is 1200 Yen at door, 1000Yen advance for TGS.
Here is more info:
http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/english/index.html

For other convention, they might charge you extra for cosplaying since you need the changing room. Like Comicket they charge differently.
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Jitensha

wow thank you so much for the help ><!
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

No problem. TGS has so much to see, so long lines for everything. For me, I like to see the games more because there is not enough time even I attended for 2 days. The show closed at 5pm sharp. Meaning by 5pm, they really mean turning off the TV, staff going daily reviewing etc.
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Jitensha

wow thanks >< I'll make sure I go early!!
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

No problem. Oh one more thing, in the morning there is usually a lineup around the convention center, usually they will let people in before 10am. Also, there are three big halls there, the middle one is where all the big companies are (Konami, Capcom, Square Enix, Sony), so go there first as lineup for things are longer there esp. Square Enix.
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
ronok

Me and my girlfriend will be going and cosplaying as Byakuya and Rukia from bleach...... If you see us you can come over and say hi.

I also have a quick question..... What are the rules regarding cosplaying at TGS? Mainly regarding weapons..... I still need to get hold of a sword for my costume and ermmm I need to know what is allowed. ^^;
ronok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

That I don't know too much. All I know is that there is a big tent thing inside the hall for changing. There are certainly some rules at TGS, I remember some staff informing a group of western cosplayers last year, then I heard one of them saying, "Oh, so we have to ...this and that..."

I want to know about the rules for cosplaying at TGS as well.
Unread 07-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #11
elejonah

Smile Tokyo Game show cosplayer rules

Hi, everyone .
I am new here, I have been in Japan for 6 years and the TGS is only 20 mins from my place. I am planning to go to TGS with my sister and planning to dress up either Bleach or Fullmetal Alchemist. I am also hoping to meet some gaijin to go as a group. So Jitensha it would be great if we can all go together.
There are a lots of rules for cosplayer in TGS. it is quite different from other country.
The fee is, The Advance ticket is 1000 yen , Day ticket is 1200 yen. The fee for using the changing room is 500yen. Always change the custume in the changing room, it is prohibited to come or leave with the custume. Now allow to dress up in the costume of special occupation such as police , fireman, Japanese army and nurse. The custume that expose the breast, waist, thigh underwear etc is not allow unless you wear a leggings or tights to cover.
For the accessories and weapons, basically limilt the item under 50 cm and all the weapons are not allow unless it is made by the soft material . Which I am wondering how can I be Rangiku if I don`t have a sword?
Of course there are other rules such as not allow to use hair spray , no drinking or eating in dressing room such and such.
elejonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
ronok

Only 50cm? O.o I guess that ruins the possibility of me taking a sword when I go as Byakuya........ My girlfriends sword is also not under 50cm and she is going as Rukia.... That's kinda dissapointing.
ronok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #13
nightko
↓ ↘ → + P

Considering the large amount of people there, it isn't good to have anything that long really. (you don't have much room while inside the hall anyway, you still need to be able to walk to the dressing room you know.) Cosplay are in between the hall, everything else are inside the hall including that changing room.

Plus, it is still mainly a gaming event.
Unread 08-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Welll... me, ronok elejonah and her sister are going as Bleach charas, anyone else there coming~ ?
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:02 AM   #15
tsaiwes99
Cosplay newbie

Well..... I'm going to TGS too, but im only 14 years old, so im going with my parents t' japan. I don't really cosplay, the reason im at this forum is that i googled "Tokyo Game Show Tickets" and found this thread with nightko's helpful post (Thx nightko >"<). Just wondering if I can find you guys somewhere in TGS, company in japan would be good, considering i dont speak japanese at all. Do the cosplayers have a special area where they cosplay? It's my first tgs, I'm very excited and could use a little help in japan.

btw, i used to live Taiwan, so i can speak chinese too. And what a coincidence!!!!!!!! I'm living in Canada *gasp*, nice beautiful country, just too bad that i live farrrrr away from civilization. I live in vancouver bc, where do you live Night? we might be neighbors, you never know.

oh ya, any of u have msn or yahhoo?

Last edited by tsaiwes99 : 08-05-2006 at 02:37 PM.
tsaiwes99 is offline   Reply With Quote