Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-06-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
Pediophobia
East meets West

Taking out or reducing blur?

To my disappointment, i've found that most of the pictures i've taken with my digital camera from my last con were blurry. I've searched the forum for a bit and found threads about adding blur, but I want to take mine out, or if that's not possible then try to reduce it at least and how would I go about doing this? Thank you.
Uraha [Shadows] from Gazette
Some video game character XD
Pediophobia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

What kind of blur are we talking about here? Is it the kind from being out of focus or motion blur from a slow shutter speed.

If it is motion there really isn't any way to get rid of it but if it is focus the picture can be adjusted very slightly with sharpen in photoshop and some other photo editors to make it possibly less noticeable. I am not great with photo editors so I will leave more for those who know more about working with them.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Pediophobia
East meets West

I guess it's from being out of focus. I'm not really sure why most of the pictures are blurry. I know my digi cam tends to blur only when it's low on batteries, but I made sure to charge them fully. None of the pictures were motion blur. These were regular stand still pose type pictures.

I'm not sure if I have sharpen in any of my photo editors, but i'll check. Thank you.
Unread 06-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Go ahead and post or link to a photo, that could help us figure things out.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Ollie
Between Worlds

Some cameras are finnicky with focusing in low light. Or, it could just be broken, or have had some obstruction in the way, or a number of other things. Unlike what we see in movies, unblurring a photo is not too easy. Photoshop CS2 (dunno about previous versions) has a "Smart Sharpen" tool that can help correct Motion blur or lens (Gaussian) blur. It does some pretty amazing work, but it won't really fully fix a photo. In short, I doubt there's much way to fix what you have already, but do post an example and we can probably help figure out what the problem is so you can avoid it in the future.
Unread 06-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
pxlbarrel

Actually, it's UNSHARPEN that you want to use. It gives you more control over how much and what you are sharpening.

I know that my Rebel seems to detest low light conditions and focusing becomes a bigger issue than when I had my point and shoot. Strange how things work, eh?
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

*lesigh*

Ziggy's called it right... it's hard to say what would help if we don't have an idea of what kind of blur we are dealing with. I've not responded until now, because I've been waiting for an example.

It would really help to see what you've got. Until then any advice I give would be speculatory and could easily be completely incorrect.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel
I know that my Rebel seems to detest low light conditions and focusing becomes a bigger issue than when I had my point and shoot. Strange how things work, eh?
Are you using one of those Sony's with laser patterns? I hope Sony will include that technology in their next DSLR.

Just to get on topic, I must say that I agree with the others. There's no way you can create details that simply isn't there. I hate when they do that in movies. Sharpening only fools your eyes (or your brain) by increasing contrast around specific areas.

Last edited by TomodachiFriend : 06-07-2006 at 12:15 PM.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Pediophobia
East meets West

My apologies, here's an example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...etrocon004.jpg

I guess it may be the light, I noticed the ones that turned out perfect where in one specific area with lots of natural light. But I can't drag every cosplayer there to take their picture so I guess it's time to invest in a new camera. Thank you everyone.
Unread 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

Here's a trick that might work if you plan on shrinking the photos down a bit for web use (I wouldn't try this if you wanted to print them): Take your full-res pictures and open up your image editing program of choice (photoshop, paint shop pro...) Duplicate the layer (so you'll basically have the same image stacked on top of itself. Take the new layer, and sharpen it a few times. It'll probably look rather noisy and a bit pixelated at this point. Next resize the photo. Finally, adjust the opacity levels of the two layers until you get something you're happy with. I'm not the greatest with photoshop, but I find that it's something that works ok with slightly blurry photos.
Unread 06-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

That was hand shake. Ill put 90% sure on it. Your shutter speed was slower than you were stable. Tripod, or a faster shutter speed would fix it. If you go to a faster shutter speed, it will get darker. To compensate, you can use a larger aperture (smaller number, f/2.8 is an example, the smaller the number the larger your aperture). Another option is to use faster ISO equivilancy speed. If you used 100, increase it to a higher number, say 400 for example, and try again.

If you took this on all auto settings, another way to fix it is to use the camera's flash. If you did already use the camera's flash, your next step is to brace the camera. Use a tripod, or a table to rest your elbows on, etc.

Last of all, what to do with your images you got. Well, as has been said, you cant create data that isnt there (Unless you draw it in.) So, you can make the images smaller, so the camera shake's blur isnt as noticable. Or you can literally edit the picture, near-pixel by pixel. That would be ridiculously tedious. But if you HAD to you could. The other option is to play with USM, but that will not yield satisfactory results. Ultimately, this is not something easily fixed, and is best just used as a learning tool.

Remember:
Brace the camera, by way of a stationary object, preferrably a tripod, but you can get creative.
Get closer to your subject and zoom out.
Faster shutter speed. (the 1/xxx number, larger the xxx)
Larger aperture. (the f/xxx number, smaller the xxx)
Higher ISO (the 100, 200, 400 etc... Largerthe number)
Use the flash.

Follow as many of those as you know how or are able to with your camera. It should help in the future. Try them out before dropping money on new equipment.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

I agree with staereo on it being camera shake. The only thing that I can add is if there is enough light but the camera is still picking a slow shutter speed you can turn the flash on to get it to pick a faster shutter speed and then just cover the flash so the picture isn't really bright.

WARNING: Some camera flashes that are built in fire VERY hot and can burn you if your hand is against it. I did this with my Sony Cybershot once with leather gloves on and it burned the leather on my gloves. I was lucky there and will never do that again with that camera either. It works but be careful doing it.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pediophobia
My apologies, here's an example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...etrocon004.jpg

I guess it may be the light, I noticed the ones that turned out perfect where in one specific area with lots of natural light. But I can't drag every cosplayer there to take their picture so I guess it's time to invest in a new camera. Thank you everyone.
I agree with staereo. That is very likely "camera shake" from my personal experience as well. I agree with his points on fixing this. You don't necessarily need to buy a new camera. Read this link about "Why Your Camera Does Not Matter."
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

I didn't find any EXIF data in this image file, so I cannot see the settings the camera used.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 06-07-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote