Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Planning CC costumes...how early?

For some reason I was thinking about this today, probably because I was going thru some of the wonderful pictures of CC24 and it got me thinking - how early do people plan costumes for CostumeCon?

And how many people are actually finished before the con?

I've got my main costume planned (for the F&SF masq) but I can't start working until the fall when I'm back in Canada. It'll be my first major undertaking and documentation deal and all that. A challenge, but I'm really looking forward to starting it. It has to be finished for a date 2~3 weeks before CC, as I'm going to trial-run it at a small local convention for wearability and comfort.

As for hall costume, no ideas yet, other than just wandering around in kimono since that's easy enough to do.

I'm assuming others have at least one of their costumes planned - if not underway!

I imagine planning a historical entry would start sooner?

(I've also got an idea for CC26, but I still don't know if I can make that one or not.)

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I imagine it depends on the complexity (and number) of your planned costume(s), as well as your own flexibility of schedule. Some people work for months on a costume, some more than a year... if you don't manage to finish a costume in time, I imagine you can possibly enter it the following year, depending on the mileage it will have gotten by then...
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
AuroraCeleste

I think it depends on you. I'll start Costume Con costumes right after AnimeNebrasKon in November, just because Costume Con will be the next thing I go to. I didn't make any new hall costumes for this year, though, just SF&F and FFShow. My hall costumes were re-wears from other cons' competition pieces or favorites I already had in my closet. I did notice people made new costumes for the Friday social, though, I just wasn't one of them.

As to plans, I have an *idea* of what I might want to enter in the SF&F, but it's only a glimmer. I imagine I'll not finalize until after DragonCon. I'm not even sure I'll enter the Historical, let alone what I'd wear. As for FFShow, the folio isn't even due yet, and they haven't mentioned whether there will be a single pattern event or not.

I guess, in all, it depends on what you do and how many costumes you want to wear compared to what you already have. I go to DragonCon every year, and have recently added Archon and AnimeIowa to my schedule, Costume con while it's still in the midwest, and a few smaller local cons. If I just make one new costume for each I have enough to wear new stuff quite often, so I don't feel the need to make everything new for just one con.
AuroraCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Gravely

We usually have about 4-6 'concepts' we'd like to get to, basically outlined and stuffed in a file.
They seem to need to brew for a bit.
We start boxes of possible fabrics for them.

Sometimes they take no time at all to want to get finished , sometimes it takes years.

It all depends on what con we are going to, what the stage is like. Who else can we work with that would make sense for the group.
when are they availible. What did we just finish doing, we try to mix up things from year to year. would hate to have people think we're just doing the same old thing

Our CC-22 and 23 costumes weren't even sketched untill the first of the year they got competed.
Funds were low so both groups needed to be made out of what was on hand as much as possible.

Our CC-21 and 24 costumes were originally going to be run in 1995 and 1996. but life happened and we didn't compete for a while.
They are totally different from how they originally were planned.

We even have one presentation on hold till the right time.
The presentation is done, we got a real studio to go in and do sound mixing and voiceovers.
all set. we just don't really know what the costumes look like yet LOL

Each costume just seems to get done when the time is right.
As for next year?
actually some of you saw pieces of them already being worked on as hand work at THIS years CC.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely
We even have one presentation on hold till the right time.
The presentation is done, we got a real studio to go in and do sound mixing and voiceovers.
all set. we just don't really know what the costumes look like yet LOL

Oh my! Now THAT sounds entertaining! A very different way to go about it, as far as my experience goes.

Thanks for your responses so far, everyone. I realize things depend on the person - some just go crazy for months and get it done quickly, while others need more time. I was just looking for other people's experiences, as I got the impression that CC costumes were planned (not necessarily worked on) something like a year in advance, if not more, and I don't know how common that is in the anime community.

Unread 06-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Lady Kathleen o
Maker of Fyne Attyre

I planned my entry for CC24, Mary, Queen of Scots, originally for Windy Con 2005 back in Feburary of 2005. But working at the Costume Shop here in Rochester did not give me an opportunity to finish the project on time for Windy.

So after resigning my position at the shop last July, I set out to start work on Mary. I had purchased over 60% of the materials I needed to get going. That was July of 2005. I was finished with Mary by the first of May 2006.

The ones I have planned for CC26 in San Jose will take me well over a year to complete. I promise not to disappoint. All I can say that my entry will be Historical in origin, but Fantasy in its appointments. SPECTACULAR as I can design them to be.
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely

Sometimes they take no time at all to want to get finished , sometimes it takes years.
Yeah, no kidding. I've got one that I think I came up with the initial concept on the way back from either CC13 or CC15, and it's still percolating because I just can't seem to get a good presentation idea yet. But it's planned for within the next.....11 years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycat
Yeah, no kidding. I've got one that I think I came up with the initial concept on the way back from either CC13 or CC15, and it's still percolating because I just can't seem to get a good presentation idea yet. But it's planned for within the next.....11 years.

Oh my! And I thought planning 1-2 years in advace was rather early. You'll find a lot of anime costumers who try to plan in advance, but then something new comes out and catches their attention instead. I think it's because anime fans tend to recreate a lot instead of working on original concepts. I'm just pleased I've not been swayed by anything for my costume...though that doesn't mean I'm not looking for new ideas!

Unread 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

True, recreations are easier that way. Originals involve a lot more thought beyond "how am I going creat the look and then how to present it". When I was doing Doctor Who stuff, there were just a few things I wanted to recreate. With anime, it's like being a kid in a candy store. It's more, "which one do I want to do next and how can I afford to do it"?

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote