Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #1
m_a_n_a

Best kind of camera

I know nothing about cameras/photography/anything, and I want to know what type of camera you reccomend that I buy for this kind of thing (taking pictures of cosplayers and the like.) Like, something that can take pictures indoors and out...

Can anyone help me? Pleeease?

<.<' I just noticed the sticky for this question... gomen!! '>.>

Well.. actually, after reading the sticky.. I'm still in need of some help. I'm willing to spend as much money as it costs, and I want a good camera! So, please, tell me which are some good ones...

Last edited by m_a_n_a : 06-08-2006 at 03:06 AM.
m_a_n_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
Sav

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84452

Please give more information on what your looking for. More of a point and shoot camera or a DSLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staereo
1) dpreview.com fredmiranda.com steves-digicams.com kenrockwell.com (Thanks, Eriol for the last two which I didn't previously post)
Also self research is a good idea and trying the camera yourself before buying one.

Last edited by Sav : 06-08-2006 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Added info
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

This is totally not meant to be negative, because I enjoy helping.

I would recommend the Hasselblad H2d^39, or The H2d, or H1d.

I would also recommend Mamiya's 645 AFDII with a phase one p 45 digital back.

I am being a little funny/sarcastic, but it makes a point. Those are undeniably good digital cameras. But they are also very pricey.

Check this thread out: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84452

Price range is the easiest way to figure out the best bang for the buck that you want to spend. Sav is also absolutely correct...

Cant wait to help! ^.^

Bruce

Last edited by staereo : 06-08-2006 at 07:55 AM.
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

The person taking the photograph is more important than the equipment. A good photographer can take decent photos with a humble point-and-shoot camera. Many cameras can take picture indoors and outdoors.

If you don't know the photography terms, you won't know how to take good pictures. Take some time to understand concepts like composition, shutter speed, aperture, lighting, exposure, etc. and then you can begin to find a camera to suit your needs.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

First, I recommend digital. Hoardes of pictures are always fun to do with Cosplay photography =)

If you get a mid-range digital compact camera, say $300 CAD or so, I think a person would be able to take pictures at the level of, or higher, than probably 85% of the cosplay pictures you see online.

Like most equipment (camera, sports, etc), I recommend going a little cheaper on the first purchase. That lets you figure out how much deeper into the field you'd like to go. More specifically, it helps you figure out what you need in a camera, rather than some generic salesperson.

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
m_a_n_a

Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about camera's and all that fun stuff, so a lot of what I read here just went in one ear and out the other (Well, not quite.. but, you know.)

More information about what I'm looking for? A camera I can take good pictures with indoors and out, while spending a reasonable about of money (...This probably sounds like a dumb question, but what is a reasonable price for this kind of thing? I'll save up my pay checks, whatever, money's not really an issue. I don't need the camera any time soon, so. I want to know what would be a good amount of money to invest into this...)

Uh, I'm not sure what else you need to know...

Last edited by m_a_n_a : 06-09-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
[SG]

Ask yourself how much you're willing to spend on a camera.

There's a few good ones in every price range so I guess finding out how much you want to spend first would be the best start.
[SG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
m_a_n_a

Uh, I really don't know. Lets say a couple hundred dollars... That can buy a decent one, right?
Unread 06-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
spheris

I would suggest a 35mm automatic,I got mine for about $167.You get really good pics with this kind of camera,you could also use a digital camera but the good ones cost alot.
spheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Jurai
hobby psychologist

When i bought my first cam, i had paid lots of "Deutsch Mark" for photo, made on a german Con. I had to scan those photos, to have them digital. In my opinion it'll be cheaper, to spend a few more Dollar for an new cam, which is extentionsable, than for a cam, maybe without a flash light connector.

The last decision is yours part.

Actually i own my third cam - a "Canon 20D" ... it's a semi prof. DSLR cam. I guess this will be too highgrade for, what you want to do. Maybe for you an "Olympus" or an equal one could be a good choice.

Jurai 8-)
Jurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
ocean_storm
Feathered Wonder

If your looking for a good digital camera that gives great results go for Canon. I bought a 3 mega pixels a long time ago and it still works wonderfully. I know own the Canon PowerShot A520 4 mega pixels and I love it to bits. The flash works pretty well in most light conditions.

Plus Canon includes in its software a good, though not perfect, editing program to change light/dark and color saturation in your photos.

Future Con's:
~ Otakon '08 (artist alley) ~ AnimeUSA '08 (artist alley) ~
ocean_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #12
Enchurito
Pantaloner

As someone who has sold digital cameras at two different jobs. I have come to like and own a sony. For a point and shoot it works really well. Also it works amazingly in the dark. (which many con photos are) The sony point and shoot cameras work well in almost all situations on the automatic setting. If you want to you can go in there and tweak apature, exposure, white balance and so on. But they also take amazing picture with just the regular modes. For example the following were all taken with my W5 (no longer avalible but the w line still exists with the w50, w70, and w100). The w series is the ones that sacrifice some size for quality and features. The T series is the ones that sacrifice features for being ultra compact. The H series is the ones that are the same quality as the w series but add a significantly better zoom, you sacrifice size for this as they are much larger than the w and t serieses. None of these have had any editing besides resizing on some. The photo I have as my avatar is from my sony w5 but I tweaked color in photoshop. For unaltered ones check on the ones below.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4...smaller7rj.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5...smaller2on.jpg

By the way the first one is me my friend and billy bob thornton. The second one is me gary jones, and paul mcgillion (of stargate sg-1 and stargate atlantis respectivly). I'd show you my one of the cosplay joker and harley quinn I took in near total darkness (it was a dark corner of a bar at dragoncon) but its on my other computer. I'll show it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by Enchurito : 07-03-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Enchurito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
deleriumx
i take pictures

well you'll have a hard time getting a DSLR for a couple hundred bucks, so if you want to be able to change lenses and have more control over your photos, you will have to be willing to spend more for a DSLR. if you dont care about professional features and just want something that will take clear pictures, a regular point and shoot will work just fine. i am not sure which point and shoots out there are good as i havent bought one in ages, but when buying a new camera i always look at the ratings on dpreview.com to help me decide. they are awesome because you can do a side by side comparison of all cameras in your price range.
But if you know nothing about cameras at all, i would suggest reading up a little bit to learn what things like megapixels, ISO, aperature range, etc. mean so you can decide what you really need. I made the mistake of buying my first camera without knowing what i needed (i actually did the same thing when i bought my studio lights. i am bad about that i guess) and learned quickly that i needed something different and had to upgrade sooner than i should have. So i suggest going to the bookstore or something and reading a bit about cameras before buying anything. (The Digital Photography for Dummies book has a ton of good info)
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
Rostao
Uber Rookie

There are many things you should take into factor when looking for a camera.
If you don't know anything about photography, get schooled in it. a few lessons go a long way. Especially if you want to fool around with the apature to make more dramatic photos. The other thing is your budget.

Here are my pics and why

DSLR - Cannon D30 - Cost you about 1500+ US I doubt you'll be able to find a used one since it just came out a few months ago. the D20 is pretty comparable. Just make sure you have a good flash and invest into a battery grip. It makes life easier when you don't have to worry about not having any juice.

Film Camera - Contax 645 - Uses Zeiss lenses and an all around easy to use camera. Able to switch from 120mm film to 35mm. film. Also there's an uber expensive digital back to it, but that cost around 2Gs.. so yeah... but a great camera none the less. Upi cam get a used one for about 1,000 US, but then the lenses are about 1.2Gs each.

35mm SLR - Cannon EOS series (anyone is good and if you decided to go digital, the lenses are compatable unlike nikons) I think they run for like 300 odd dollars

Now if you don't know jack about photography

Canon Coolpix - it's easy to use and just fun, not to mention it takes better pictures than the sony cybershot in my opinion. Draw back is that there's a delay when you want to take a picture, so sometimes action is tough.

Take some photo classes, understand what a light meter is and what it's used for, and know how to push your F stops to make things more dramatic.

If you're going super uber, then you'll have to talk about strobes and that's just pricy and unwieldy.

Good luck, and remember. It's the ability to read light well that makes a good photographer. ^_^ or at least my opinion. ^_^
Rostao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
gmontem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostao
DSLR - Cannon D30 - Cost you about 1500+ US I doubt you'll be able to find a used one since it just came out a few months ago. the D20 is pretty comparable. Just make sure you have a good flash and invest into a battery grip. It makes life easier when you don't have to worry about not having any juice.
I'm going to be very anal about this -- please get the model names/numbers right. Don't even think it's alright to interchange the letters and numbers of a model name because you just might confuse one model for another. As it so happens there existed an EOS-D30 around the year 2000, a 3MP Canon DSLR. Surely you didn't mean to recommend that.

I can see it now. Years later Canon will release a 60D and people will be calling it a D60, which btw also exists.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote