Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 06-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
thefinal
Sapphira

Fabric to use and lace?

My friend is wanting me to make him an EGL costume. I'm unsure if I can do it but I sure am willing to try! Does anyone have any suggestions on fabrics that I should use and any good references for lace? I've been to Jo-Anns in my area in the past, and only on occassion do they have a wide selection of lace.

Also, anyone know any good "tutorials" or should I just try to get a Gothic Lolita Bible hoping I can understand what to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

2012 Cons
Katsucon - Dallas Comic Con - A-kon - AnimeFest - AnimeUSA

thefinal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

The Gothic Lolita bible is a great place to start out. Also there are various online shops you can look at for ideas/refrences.

As for fabrics and lace. I usually use whatever strikes my interest be it a light weight printed flannel, something I found for a dollar a yard at walmart, or rooting through my granny's stash. However for lace, it is better to go to one of the newer super jo-ann's for a bigger selection of lace and trim. I know the one near me in Schirville indiana had the perfect lace i needed for my Pyoko costume

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Asagi-syndrome
Oh the flamboyance~

for ideas *and* instructions, Gosurori magazine (aka Gothic & Lolita magazine). You have to modify some most basic patterns for majority of the costumes that are in there, though. But hey, instructions with pictures...! XD
Asagi-syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Celeste_Orchid
A Flower Found in Space

just whatever you do... don't go to Hot Topic even if it is a good store and buy a dress and claim it as your own. Original Lolitas are the best. I'm sure that whatever you make it will be goregous
Celeste_Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
thefinal
Sapphira

hahaha...that wouldn't work because I'm going to make a crossplay...and he's a very tall guy... - so no worries about Hot Topic, it's completely out of the question

2012 Cons

Unread 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
TeddyBearNarcs
Panda Loli-Chan!

The one thing I would say to avoid is satin. I hate satin with a passion, and it should NEVER be used on lolis. No shiny fabrics! Also, just a personal preference, avoid velvet, valour, or crushed velvet. That's only good for winter lolis, and even then it should be used sparingly.

For lace, buy crocheted lace or cotten lace. Don't buy raschel, or any polyester lace - it's cheap, but it looks cheap too, and is very itchy and uncomfortable. It's more expensive, but get some venetian lace too - it's very very pretty.
"Lolita is all about looking cute and innocent. If you want to look like a lolita and act like a whore, that's your perogative, but don't you DARE dress like a whore and call yourself lolita. That's not what it's all about."

Black Cutaway Lolita JSK ((for use with the red Meta cutsew)): 100% designed, 0% completed

BluexBlackxWhite Lolita: 100% designed, 100% completed

Last edited by TeddyBearNarcs : 06-20-2006 at 06:40 PM.
TeddyBearNarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

you can sometimes find nice venetian lace on sale for really cheap. <3

try to avoid broadcloath, as well. that tends to look cheap.

for dresses, i honestly have no idea what kind of material to use. XD for black skirts, i like twill, actually. it amazingly fluffs nicely, even though it is rather heavy.

but satin is bad (unless it is a really really dull one and used by someone with a lot of expirence...), broadcloth is typicailly bad, velvet, etc. is one of thsoe things that also needs a lot of expirence behind it, so i would say go with a nice cotton. not a cheap, thin, icky one, but a nice one.
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
TeddyBearNarcs
Panda Loli-Chan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
you can sometimes find nice venetian lace on sale for really cheap. <3
<3 <3 <3 cheaptrims.com is my best friend! <3 <3 <3
"Lolita is all about looking cute and innocent. If you want to look like a lolita and act like a whore, that's your perogative, but don't you DARE dress like a whore and call yourself lolita. That's not what it's all about."

Black Cutaway Lolita JSK ((for use with the red Meta cutsew)): 100% designed, 0% completed

Unread 06-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Tia

My absolute favorite fabric to use is the linen collection at Joann's. I can't remember which one it is specifically, but there is one that is about 6 dollars a yard. They feel nice and light on you, but they aren't cheap looking or see-through like broadcloth. I like casa crepe, too, but I know satin isn't everybody's favorite fabric. It's not shiny at all, though.
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
thefinal
Sapphira

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will keep all in mind when I start working on this It will be tedious, this I know for sure XD

2012 Cons

Unread 06-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Amaya De'Morte
Clearly Miscalculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBearNarcs
The one thing I would say to avoid is satin. I hate satin with a passion, and it should NEVER be used on lolis. No shiny fabrics! Also, just a personal preference, avoid velvet, valour, or crushed velvet. That's only good for winter lolis, and even then it should be used sparingly.

For lace, buy crocheted lace or cotten lace. Don't buy raschel, or any polyester lace - it's cheap, but it looks cheap too, and is very itchy and uncomfortable. It's more expensive, but get some venetian lace too - it's very very pretty.
Classic lolita looks beautiful in some nice, expensive dark shaded velvets... at least, I think so. Then again, I have a velvet love affair (and not the cheap velvet that sheds.. ohhh no. Niice soft velvet)

-cough-

But I do agree- no shinny. It distracts, and takes away from the child-like look you go for. Choose softer fabrics, that look delicate and soft to the touch.

That's what I go for, at least.
Tsubaki (soul Eater)
Rogue (xmen)
Once-ler (The Lorax Movie)

deviantART+facebook

“A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerated the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable”
Amaya De'Morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #12
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

i have some dark purple velvet that i want ot turn into a lolita dress so badly but i don thave enough, and oh is velvet expensive! D: plus, this stuff is quite old, and i am not sure if i can match the colour again. D:
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
TeddyBearNarcs
Panda Loli-Chan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya De'Morte
Classic lolita looks beautiful in some nice, expensive dark shaded velvets... at least, I think so. Then again, I have a velvet love affair (and not the cheap velvet that sheds.. ohhh no. Niice soft velvet)

-cough-

But I do agree- no shinny. It distracts, and takes away from the child-like look you go for. Choose softer fabrics, that look delicate and soft to the touch.

That's what I go for, at least.
Okay, you got me there. Classic lolitas can pull off velvet... I suppose it's just my personal preference ((I was forced to wear velvet for formal occasions, and I'd end up being so hot and bothered, and I'd get distracted from whatever I was supposed to be paying attention to and pet my dress! XD)).

Unread 06-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I personnally love taffeta - it's a bit shiny but not too much, and it's a real delight to sew.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote