Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-16-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Need Help with Pictures

Okay, here's the deal: I run a commission business. When I am done with an order, I like to take a picture of it for my gallery, eBay, etc. Only... my photography skills rival that of a banana's.

What I would like some advice on is lighting, backdrops, etc. I'm not looking to go all-out, just something I can do easily at home.

Oh, and if it helps, the camera I use is a 5.0 megapixel Kodak EasyShare DX4530. Thanks! =]

Last edited by Rain Miko : 06-16-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

Wow 50 megapixels!!! I guess you mean 5.0 megapixels. After looking through your gallery what I would suggest is for the backdrops try to get a single backdrop such as a table or bed so that it's surface will be the only other thing seen besides the item you are taking a picture of. For the wigs I would recomend trying to find a blank wall or set of curtains as a backdrop and set it on a table like you did with the Sango wig. The basic reason for backdrops are to remove distractions from the picture so a good backdrop can be ANYTHING that does this be it a wall, bed, table, or set of curtains.
For lighting you can open the curtains and place the item in the light from the window. Another option is to use a lamp that you have laying around. You can also put something on the front of the lamp to diffuse the light so it isn't as strong; paper, plastic milk carton sides, and white fabric usually work really good for that. For lighting you will just have to experiment to see what gets you good results. Another option is to set the camera on a tripod and use a longer exposure time, just set the camera to auto and turn the flash off and the camera should do the rest. Doing this though you really can't hold the camera by hand so a tripod or something to set the camera on would be needed.

Just a couple of Ideas to get you started. Don't be afraid to experiment with things, just remember the beauty of being the photographer is you only have to show the ones you like.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Catch me on yahoo.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Oklahoma- Yeah, thank you. It is 5.0 megapixels (it was too early when I first posted for me to tell the difference). But thank you for the advice, I'll definately use it when I go to take my next set of shots.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote