Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
KaosEfx
Pluck Nutty Man, Blah!!!

Question ISO settings and stuff on Canon 30D?

Hey people. I just got back from AMA, and I got some great pics. I didn't have any other lighting except for the small flash on the camera, but I was wondering from the more experienced photographers what settings they would have used. My ISO was around 400 or 500, and the pictures came out pretty good. I definitely couldn't complain.

I have a Canon 30D, with the standard lens that came with it. I need to get some more cash for better lenses. I also used a UV filter on my camera. I've been told by lots of photographers that it just helps protect the lens a little more. Who am I to argue with that? lol.

But what settings would you have it on? I did manual settings for my stuff, but that's only because I don't know the other settings well enough to do anything with. I should probably practice.

So, any suggestions? I'd really love to do some photography for people because I LOVE costumes, but I want to make sure I can do a good job with it too. Thanks for all your help!!!

:japan:

Unread 06-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

By settings, did you have some particular sets of settings in mind, or just everything? After all, with a camera like a 30D, you can adjust dozens of settings, outside of the controls of aperture, shutter speed, and sensitivity that seem most obvious. Not to mention those settings are usually going to vary heavily depending on the type of shot (big group shot? single person portrait up close? masquerade?) and the lighting conditions.

You might also consider just picking up a book on the basics of photography, just to learn some of the principles. In the end, every rule is meant to be broken, and while I'm sure we as a group could pile on enough recommendations to make your head spin, in the end you're the one in control of your own shots. But we can certainly give you a head start if you're willing to make the question a little more specific.
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

ISO settings depend on the camera used. A 30D has great high ISO performance. You could have used 800 and the pictures would still be great compared to a P&S. This definitely gives you more room to play with other settings.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnishi
By settings, did you have some particular sets of settings in mind, or just everything? After all, with a camera like a 30D, you can adjust dozens of settings, outside of the controls of aperture, shutter speed, and sensitivity that seem most obvious. Not to mention those settings are usually going to vary heavily depending on the type of shot (big group shot? single person portrait up close? masquerade?) and the lighting conditions.

You might also consider just picking up a book on the basics of photography, just to learn some of the principles. In the end, every rule is meant to be broken, and while I'm sure we as a group could pile on enough recommendations to make your head spin, in the end you're the one in control of your own shots. But we can certainly give you a head start if you're willing to make the question a little more specific.
Very well said. Every camera has different things about it that can be changed. Many of the people here can start spouting off the settings that they use the most but that would be for their conditions and not necessarily for what you need. Also, we really don't know how much you already know about photography and the settings we give may blow one part of the picture way out of proportion to other parts in the situation you use it in. I am working on putting together a, brief (well as brief as it can be) and toned down to non technical terms as much as possible, tutorial on what different things mean and how they will affect the final picture (still a couple weeks out, but hope to have a preliminary version in a week).

My suggestion is take a look at this and you should be able to tell us a little more so we can make better suggestions to you.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84452

As for ISO I use usually 400 with the built in flash indoors and 100 with my external flash indoors for walking around. At a masquerade since you cannot use a flash I use either 1600 or 3200 depending on the lighting. But all of this also depends on my apperture and shutterspeed and how I want the final product to look. As jtnishi said there are many things that can be changed on a 30D. I use a 20D and the best thing I have bought so far is my external flash, I chose this over a lense because it will help more than a new lens will at the moment. Do not underestimate that kit lense. Even though it feels cheap and poor it is actually a very optically good lense. At the moment I think a external flash will help better than a new lense unless you are looking at a long telephoto lense.

Just my $0.02.

Anime Detour Staff:
Tech: Main Stage Lighting
Photography
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
[SG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaosEfx
I did manual settings for my stuff, but that's only because I don't know the other settings well enough to do anything with.
Hmm .. interesting ... always thought it was the other way around :P

But back on topic .. there isn't really a standard setting like ISO XXX, shutter speed XXX, aperture XXX since photography is too dynamic for that. Pretty much what everyone else said, you can get a book or a few and read about it or do what I did and just take so many pictures and mess up so many times, you're bound to know what to not do
[SG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
KaosEfx
Pluck Nutty Man, Blah!!!

thanks! I really appreciate all the info. I'm gonna play around with the camera some more. my shutter speed is slow right now, and I think that a few more times looking through the manual will help fix that.

Thanks again guys!
Unread 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
gmontem

Well there do exist some guidelines for those who have to make exposures without a light meter, e.g. the Sunny 16 rule. I think there's one for the moon, too.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
deleriumx
i take pictures

slightly off-topic, but......

how are you liking the 30D? I am considering buying it, but am having trouble deciding between the 30D and the Nikon D200.
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
KaosEfx
Pluck Nutty Man, Blah!!!

I love my 30D! The more I use it, the more I find out what I can do with it. When I took some pics at AMA, all I did was change the ISO, and they came out great. The battery lasts forever too. I strongly support Canon with this. It's a winner.
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleriumx
how are you liking the 30D? I am considering buying it, but am having trouble deciding between the 30D and the Nikon D200.
Do you have any Canon or Nikon lenses? That usually steers photographers to one brand or the other.

The 30D and D200 compete in the same category of photography. The 30D wins in some regards while the D200 wins in other regards. It's a very close race between these two brands. I think you can't go wrong with either.

Have you read this review?
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._compared.html

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
deleriumx
i take pictures

I've decided to take the plunge and go with the 30D. Coming from a non SLR camera i had no loyalty towards either brand, instead i looked for the lens that best suited my needs for the price I wanted and it was a Canon. so, 30D it is! I will post some pics when i get it and try it out.
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote