Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 03-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

Qualifying Question

So here's the deal- I'm supposed to be performing in a skit with the members of my anime club, except I'm not sure if what has happened will be causing a problem. The costume I'm wearing for it, was originally going to be made by myself, but then my father and grandmother decided it would be too hard for me to do (they don't know me very well apparently, lol) and had me surrender my fabric and pattern to a friend of the family seamstress, who ended up making it for me (and it came out extremely nicely, so I can't really complain in that aspect). But my question is, does the fact that i wasn't the one to sew it now make me ineligible to cosplay with my group? I really hope not...I was looking forward to doing our skit in front of the judges...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Shima-Mizu~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shima-Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
cyankirby
I'm coming for you...

Check the 'unspoken rules about constructing your own costumes?' thread. There was a similar question posted there. It should have info in it that will answer your question.
Fubar (Suikoden III) - Finished
Warcraft costume TBA - In Progress
Serina (Magna Carta) - In Progress
Oki (Wolf form) (Okami) - In Progress
Dryad/centaur (World of Warcraft) - Finished

Last edited by cyankirby : 03-04-2003 at 10:51 PM.
cyankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #3
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

It depends on the contest. Check the rules page for event going to. Some will allow it in and others will not.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #4
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

Thanks, I was really quite upset when I learned they weren't going to help me out at home if I tried to make it (because the way I make my costumes is I cut and pin them and then show my nana where she needs to run the sewing machine through on)

and then when I realized the other day that this might not let me compete in my groups skit, I really started getting annoyed...only thing that keeps me happy is that the kimono is really purty, lol.
Unread 03-04-2003, 11:16 PM   #5
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

And I checked the rules for I-Con's cosplay this year, it doesn't mention anything about not having made the costume yourself--- it does state though that the Judges will choose three winners based on Craftsmanship, Presentation and Best in Show, so therefore I will make a note of mentioning to them not to judge me for Craftsmanship (which I would have expected anyway) ^_^. Thanks guys and gals.
Unread 03-05-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
Giant Alucard
DooD, it is Glorious!

It's okay. You just have to give credit before hand to the person who did make the costume for you, And you could go in to the craftmanship contest, they base it on how hard the costume was to make and now close it was to accual costume would look, you just have to give the credit to the person who made it before hand. Alot of people can't really sew and have costume made for them for cons, just give credit where credit is due and everything is basically fine.
Giant Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> It's okay.

I beg to differ. ^__^

> And you could go in to the craftmanship contest

From the POV of one of the judges at the con discussed... I'd have to check the specific rules, but I would never give my vote for Craftsmanship to someone who did not make their own costume unless the creator was there and had a valid reason not to be the one wearing it on stage (stage fright, anything really). The award would then go to the creator, not the model.

I remember last year we checked to see who had made their own costumes. It's unfair to give Craftsmanship to someone who did not earn it.
Unread 03-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
aimee
it's a sparkly!

I agree, it's fine to do your skit with your group, but make sure you tell judges that you had someone make your costume for you (as Rosiel says, it doesn't seem fair to get craftsmanship for that)
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

In general it is not a good idea to enter a costume in a Masq that you did not make. As you can see, there is some debate about this; please check the earlier thread on the subject for the whole back-and-forth, but in general it is highly frowned upon to enter a costume you didn't make, even if it's part of a group and everybody else did make theirs. Some masquerades will allow you to remove yourself from competition and still present your skit (Anime Boston is doing this) - but in a group presentation, that would probably mean disqualifying the entire group from award consideration, which doesn't seem fair to me.

You might also want to learn to run the sewing machine yourself - you will have a much greater hand in your own costumes, and it will be easier on your Nana.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2003, 09:37 PM   #10
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

I would learn how, except she won't let me touch her sewing machine, and it's the only one I have access to. But my Nana wasn't even involved in the making of this one at all. And as for the other people, I don't know of any single one of them who is making thier costume on thier own. Two are having thier mothers make it, the others will be making it with my help.

And I already mentioned above that I didn't plan on entering Craftsmanship anyway, but evidently many of you chose to not read that. I usually make my own costumes, this was the only time it was taken out of my hands, and I know that it's not cool for someone who didn't make thier costume to compete for craftsmanship. But best of show is based on performance and how you act as your characters primarily, so I don't see why there should be a problem with my group competing for that.
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #11
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

And you know what I was just thinking? I have half of Kaoru's gi costume done...if I finish that in time, I could use that instead. But chances of me completing it in time are slim.
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:45 PM   #12
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Shima-Mizu

And I already mentioned above that I didn't plan on entering Craftsmanship anyway, but evidently many of you chose to not read that. I usually make my own costumes, this was the only time it was taken out of my hands, and I know that it's not cool for someone who didn't make thier costume to compete for craftsmanship. But best of show is based on performance and how you act as your characters primarily, so I don't see why there should be a problem with my group competing for that.
I did indeed see that you don't plan on entering Craftsmanship, which is a good step, but... To me, a masquerade performance is the entire package - yes, the skit and performance are part of it, but it's more based on costumes than anything else. (and your costume is indeed very pretty.) Every judge has his/her own standards, of course, but I think if the majority of your group did not make their costumes, I would see if it's possible to do your skit without being considered for awards. Some cons do make this possible, and it's good that you've already checked the con's masq policy. In the end it's up to you to decide what you think is fair.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 03-06-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #13
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I know that it's not cool for someone who didn't make thier costume to compete for craftsmanship.

^__^ You can still enter for all presentation prizes though!

> But best of show is based on performance and how you act as your characters primarily, so I don't see why there should be a problem with my group competing for that.

I'll have to check, I always thought it was a mixture of presentation and craftsmanship, the one who had the best balance between the two... it doesn't mean the best at both but the one who has the best... whole I guess. ^__^
Unread 03-06-2003, 08:53 PM   #14
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

I've pretty much taken best of show to be best of everything meaning best skit and best costumes. Although some conventions do have separate judges for craftsmanship and for performance there still is a little grey area as to if the judges will take your costumes into consideration while judging your skit. I think your best bet would be to wear a different one that you made yourself. I've been at anime conventions where they specifically state that if you enter with a comissioned costume (regardless who made it or how it was purchased) you and/or your group will be dq'd for it. I would email the person in charge of the masquerade explain the situation and see what they say. But definately do give credit to the person who made it. There's nothing more worse than claiming you made it yourself when you didn't even do a stitch of work on it. Now I have also heard of some conventions that will allow comissioned costumes in provided the person who made it is present and the award that the costume may win would be given to the person who made it not the model wearing it. So you might be able to call yourself a model for the costume ^_^;

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 01:02 AM   #15
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

Ok---firstly I would NEVER claim I made the costume myself, and think about it- if I had been planning to do that, I wouldn't have mentioned my little dilemna here in the first place since some of you may be attending the con. But anyhoo, I realized last night, that if I can find it, I have a robe that would be very easy to alter into a Yumi costume, so tomorrow I will be scrounging through my mother's house looking for it. I personally love my kaoru costume, but I hate the fact that I can't win something for craftsmanship as I have always made my costumes in the past.

Also though, the reason I'm asking here in the first place, is because the i-con cosplay rules do not state at all anything about costumes you didn't make yourself. And the lady who made it for me, since you all keep referring to it as a "commissioned costume" well she IS a seamstress, but she made it for me as a friend of the family. It's not like we said here's money, make this, she decided to make it for us and we later reimbursed her for the few items she had to buy that I hadn't purchased for my costume (namley the butterflies / dots that were stuck on and some of the special thread used)

Anyway, I thank you all for all of your input, but I am going to look into if I can throw together another kenshin themed costume rather quickly before the date of the con. I'll still be wearing my kaoru costume for the rest of the con though if I make another costume for the cosplay.