Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Tigerzeyes
~ Evil Butterfly Minion ~

Pleat-ish ruffly-causing stuff... how do I do that?

I need to make a skirt pretty much exactly like this one:

http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/online...21181066414227

except minus all weird pockets, trims, etc.
Just a plain white skirt like that, maybe a little longer.
What's I need to know though... is how to do the pleaty stuff at the top to make it ruffle-y at the bottom.
I little more ruffle-y would be good actually
Should I make a circle skirt?
... if not... what should I make?
But again, most importantly, how on Earth to make the pleat-y things that result in all the lovely ruffle-age

Hope that made sense, lol
Thanks,

~Tiger

Unread 07-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

it looks like it was just gathered. i have no idea how to do it on a machine, but you hand-sew the top and then pull the thread until it is the desired size. i would reccomend using about 3x your hip measurement or more. just use a rectangle of fabric, gather it (the more fabric, the more ruffly it will be), and add on a normal waistband. one of the easiest skirts you can make.

good luck!
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

In order to gather with the machine, you can make two rows of straight stitches about half an inch apart, with the widest stitch you have and no tension on the top thread. You will then be able to pull the lower threads and gather it.
I'm kinda cursed with gathering, though, my threads seem to break all the time, or get entangled, so now I use another technique : I pin the ends of the two pieces of fabric together, then I fold them both in half and pin them at the fold, and restart with each half, and repeat until I can't anymore (that is, there should be three or four pins per inch). Then all I have to do is sew with my sewing machine, and remove all those pins. May seem time consuming, but with this method I never have to start over, and I hate starting over.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
evil_neko
evil nervous park squirel

Ashurachan: Which side do you sew? Along the fold? Would you mind making a tutorial for this, because it sounds really interesting but I really don't get it >.>;;;
Unread 07-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
l o l i t a
insert clever caption hur

You can actually buy a ruffler for your machine that will do it for you. I bought one and it works fabulously. I paid I think... 10 or 15 dollars for it. You should be able to find one in any fabric store or a Machine boutique. I bought mine at JoAnn fabrics back when I worked there.
l o l i t a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
aoisakura
=^._.^=

I usually just do ruffles by hand much easier as directed above, though I have done it by machine but I tend to do needle and thread, much less confusing and less nob twiddling -_-;
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by l o l i t a
You can actually buy a ruffler for your machine that will do it for you. I bought one and it works fabulously. I paid I think... 10 or 15 dollars for it. You should be able to find one in any fabric store or a Machine boutique. I bought mine at JoAnn fabrics back when I worked there.
how ruffled does it make it? can you change it, or is a it a set amount?
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Tigerzeyes

Quote:
Sorry, I'm super noob, what is a ruffler, and how does it work? Does it attach to your sewing machine or what? Is it easy to attach?
Unread 07-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #9
l o l i t a
insert clever caption hur

Yes--you can change the settings on it for differend size pleats / ruffles, and yes, you attach it to the machine and it is easy.

All you have to do is remove the foot of your machine, and slide it on. If you ask someone at the store you buy it in, they can usually explain how to put it on for you.. or you can even bring your machine into places like JoAnn fabric, and they'll teach you how. We used to do that when I worked there all the time. ^_^

You have to practice using it a bit to get the feel of it before diving right into a project, but it saves me SO much time!
l o l i t a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
Tigerzeyes

Quote:
Yes--you can change the settings on it for differend size pleats / ruffles, and yes, you attach it to the machine and it is easy.

All you have to do is remove the foot of your machine, and slide it on. If you ask someone at the store you buy it in, they can usually explain how to put it on for you.. or you can even bring your machine into places like JoAnn fabric, and they'll teach you how. We used to do that when I worked there all the time. ^_^

You have to practice using it a bit to get the feel of it before diving right into a project, but it saves me SO much time!
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna check it out