Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 07-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Etiquette in borrowing images....

I deleted my original post, as it sounded too ranty...

What are peoples experiences with unauthorized uses of images, like people copying images from your site and putting it on theirs?

Last edited by staereo : 07-06-2006 at 11:01 PM.
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

The veteran cosplayers are usually very good about asking for permission. A lot of cosplayers are also very good with at least posting a link to my website if they don't ask for permission, which is acceptible. The worst offenders seem to be message boards and forums that link directly to the image, which I don't care too much about as long as it doesn't take up too much bandwidth or uses a photo to embarrass somebody. In that case, I will either take down the photo or rename it.

I think one of the stupidest things I've come across is a cosplayer who took a photo from my site without permission and used it on one of her personal pages which stated: "Do not use any photos without permission" or something similar to that and I just had to laught at it.

I usually don't do too much about somebody who borrows a photo without permission, but I will send them and email if possible and tell them to ask for permission in the future. If a cosplayer repeatedly takes photos without permission, I just don't take photos of them anymore.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)
Super No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
skypirate
There are four lights!

Welcome to the club. Cherish and reward the good cosplayers.
Unread 07-07-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I don't have a problem with cosplayers who take my photos for their site. They send an e-mail asking for permission beforehand, and always credit.
I don't care about message boards and such that direct link ; the server I'm on has plenty of bandwidth.
Once though I had a bigger problem... There had been a small con organized by a shop, and the webmaster took my pictures for their website without asking. And after I'd complained on the site's boards said webmaster maintained he was in his right... (stupid guy who doesn't know a thing about copyright shouldn't be the webmaster of a professionnal site in the first place). Everything got back in order when his boss (the shop's owner) came back from the hospital where he was when the crisis had erupted, but for a time my pictures remained on that website and even if my credits remained on them, I was really pissed.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Jurai
hobby psychologist

I don't earn money with my photos, but most of them are created be me. So my photos contain a little piece of me. Sometimes copslayers take those photos without asking for permissions. By using those photos on their own homepage, I remind them for asking next time and linking my page.

I don't like direct linking. It doesn't matter where ( Forum, Website ... ) When i recordnize that, I change those photos to others, by using a text inside those new photos.

I want to become a professionell in a few years. Maybe I'll get a software for secure my pics with an encrypted code. Will see ...

Greetz Jurai
Jurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
TR Rose
Meowing About

I've had problems with direct-linking myself... until I installed a bit of code in my .htaccess file that prevents anyone from direct-linking. It saved quite a bit of bandwidth.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
deleriumx
i take pictures

direct linking is obviously a no no... but as far as a cosplayer putting my photos on their website.. well, thats why i put a watermark on the photo. when i actually get a website, my watermark will link to my site so my photo is just getting more exposure. as long as the cosplayer doesnt remove the watermark, i dont mind at all if they put it on their site. but i dont like it when they edit them.
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
staereo

Well, theres times people take screencaps of images that arent available for download, as well as people that scan prints. Both of which the agree to not to before accessing those medias.

IF that makes sense.
Unread 07-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

I've only ever had a couple of my images copied for personal use. In both cases they weren't edited so I really didn't have a problem with it. One person listed the photo credit to me and the other was sent to them from a friend who didn't include where they got it from, both were on this site. Overall I don't have a problem with people using the images for personal purposes if there is no editing involved.

Something that I have found though, and am wondering other's opinions on, is posting on other websites. Some websites imbed their own watermark with copywrite information for the site into all pictures uploaded to them. So far I haven't uploaded to any sites that do this but that creates a double copywrite on the image which cannot happen due to copywrite laws. If someone uploaded my images to a site that did this I would ask that they be removed or have the site's copywrite removed. Since this falls under a very similar category as the starting topic thought I would put this here.

Anime Detour Staff:
Tech: Main Stage Lighting
Photography
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Fighterspledge
Unload, reload, repeat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose
I've had problems with direct-linking myself... until I installed a bit of code in my .htaccess file that prevents anyone from direct-linking. It saved quite a bit of bandwidth.
Is that code difficult to implement?
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
staereo

Theres only one code I know of to stop screenshots of images. Ugh. Im glad I didnt post my long ranty post. It was very very very long, and had a bite to it.

I think this is just something that happens with exposure.

Bruce
Unread 07-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
TR Rose
Meowing About

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterspledge
Is that code difficult to implement?
It depends. If you have a website host that allows FTP, it's not difficult to upload an .htaccess file. This page contains the coding you need:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess10.shtml
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose
It depends. If you have a website host that allows FTP, it's not difficult to upload an .htaccess file. This page contains the coding you need:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess10.shtml
In addition, the host may have this function built into the "control panel" web page of the account. I usually see the function listed as "disable hot-linking for all items in this directory" with a checkbox or something like that. However, when done this way, you can't customize it as you can if you uploaded your own .htaccess file.

There is Javascript code that can be put into a web page to disable the "save image as" when you right-click an image on a web page, but this can be defeated.

Defeating a screenshot capture is "impossible" at the current moment.

I've seen other people suggest displaying only thumbnails and watermarking them, but with this method, you can't display your images unaltered.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 07-07-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
Anime London
The man behind the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by staereo
I deleted my original post, as it sounded too ranty...

What are peoples experiences with unauthorized uses of images, like people copying images from your site and putting it on theirs?
I have no problem with cosplayers using my photos of them. In fact, when I hand my card for my site, I tell them they have that right.

What REALLY p!ssed me off was Yahoo photos cataloguing ALL my photos as their own without permission NOR going to my website when the person clicked on the picture. Google on the other hand opens the webpage to the picture. In the end my bandwidth was HIGH but actual visits were low.

What I had to do was MOVE ALL my pictures to seperate directory then using robots.txt to disallow the bots from cataloguing those photo directories. I've since then watermark my photos with my webaddress. It ticked the cosplayers but once I explain why it happen they quickly nod.

For those who don't know what robots.txt does, do a quick search on the net. The regular page that I direct people to for a tutorial is gone.
Anime London is offline   Reply With Quote