Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Connecticon

Unread 07-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Masq Feedback

Hey guys. I was wondering what people thought of the Masq. Yes it was late, we all know that, so let's accept that a given.

A lot of singing. Everyone who went up did a great job with their musical number, but a word of advice from watching you all. You don't have to finish the song. After about 2 minutes people will get bored, especially if you're a stand-and-sing musical number. I did genuinly find you all to be talented, but short IS sweet.

Major LOL to "You're playying horribly" "Are you calling me short?!"

YAY dancing Lee!!!

But I felt the Voldo was gipped like crazy. He was covered in body paint, fishnets and a GOLD... well... you know... I mean, I know I'm not to cosplay judge here AT ALL, but he was a fan favorite and that costume was psychotically good in my opinion.

Only three awards? I'm guessing it had to do with prize money. Personally I find awards are more about the recognition. I've never even actually claimed my prizes. I think there needed to be a best dance number, best musical performance, Honorable Mention skit, 2nd place skit and 1st place skit. AT LEAST. A certificate with nice caligraphy or an impressive-looking ribbon means more ot me than a DVD I can buy with my own money if I want to.

My friends and I entered as Journeymen, but were told not enough people filled the category. Did ANYONE else apply as a higher level? I'm curious.

And now what did you think of the costumes, skits and the overall event?
Catelyn Stark - Game of Thrones
MagentaFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Shiro
Wandering Aimlessly. . .

Some of the skits did drag, and I'm kicking myself because of it. On the site it said there was a 3 minute time limit, so I cut 49 seconds out of the Final Fantasy skit to get it the right length, and I had to sacrifice my favorite bit of the skit, as well as some better comedic timing. Ah well, I suppose it didn't really matter since we wouldn't have gotten a chance to do it right anyway because our FFXI guy was stuck in an elevator when we were supposed to practice, but . . .

Also, I dont know if it was because it was the only song I recognized when people sang, but that Luna singing that Sailor Moon song was like . . . wow. And people waved their cell phones like it was a concert and stuff . . . That was really nice.

(And while it was funny, I thought that Ultimate Anime Showdown skit was a little too gimmicky for my tastes . . . Eh, next year my friends and I will rehearse many times before the con . . . I'll make sure of it.)
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Zepka's_Hollow
The other side of light

i woulkd have to say that the masq was really good. To my friends who did the CN PG naruto skit, you guys were awsome. im sorry that the audio wasnt loud enough in some parts, that kind of stunk. but overall the skit was awsome!!!!!

The Guy who was two skits ahead of them, the gravitation guy who sang. dude if you read this, you were FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!. i loved all the skits and the walk ons we pretty good too.

also...and i think everyone agrees, that the belly dancer ruled!!!1
Anime Boston 10
Connecticon 10
Otakon 10

Roronoa Zoro-One Piece-Multiple versions
Yoshimitsu-Soulcalibur (3 or 4)
Mifune-Soul Eater
Megatron-Transformers G1
----------------------------------------------------
Nakama means family. Family means no one gets left behind.
Zepka's_Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Adara

Yeah, I think there was way too much singing. Everyone who went up did an amazing job, but after the first few people it gets kind of old. x_X

I was surprised that there was only three awards, too. There should have been more categories. I think a few more skits really deserved recognition.

The only thing that really bothered me (besides how long it took to actually get in..) was that a lot of the skits had very poor sound quality. I mean, if you're not going to record it ahead of time, you should at least really try to project your voice and make sure you're heard. For a few skits, I didn't have a clue what they were saying, even though I was sitting in the third row right in front of the stage.

Overall, I think it was pretty good, and way better than last year's. Nice job to everyone who performed ^_^

2011 cosplay: Bellatrix LeStrange, Alice (SyFy miniseries)
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Fearix

Yeah, I was a little surprised that that the Ultimate Showdown song won 1st place. I didn't think they were a horrible skit but I think there were a couple of other skits that should have gotten the recognition. I guess my only real problem with the Ultimate Showdown was that there was not very much choreography to it and it the sound kind of tore at my ears... But congrats to them regardless. I was in the Masquerade myself with a couple of other people, but I wasn't expecting to win. I just do it for the sake of putting on a good show. ^^

I really enjoyed the the Rock Lee skit and I'm glad that it got recognized. However, it's too bad that the "Dude That Looks Like A Lady" song didn't win anything. And I also agree that Voldo got gipped. Did you guys know that this was his first con and costume? That's some freaking talent right there!
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

My friends who did the FMA skit (with the flute-playing Ed), were apparantly told that there was no craftsmanship judging for skits, which I know is wrong. So that was kind of sucky for them. I liked the craftsmanship judges better than the ones from last year, but I think the organization of the whole event could have better. For example, we could have NOT started a whole hour behind schedule. -_-

This is the year of very little cosplay. How sad.

My Livejournal: It's not angsty. I promise.
Mystic Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Uchiha Nick

lol hey guys, I apologize for singing. I was the guy who sang "Shining Collection". To be completely honest I didn't come to Connecticon with the intention of even being in the masquerade. I actually signed up to sing that for personal redemption. For those of you who came to the "Anime Dating Game" on friday might have seen the really bad performance that our Bad Luck band put on. Most of the band were back ups and we really didnt have much time to practice. So we Sucked.
So the masquerade was kind of a thing to redeem myself. I felt really bad for putting on such a bad performance the day before. I think I even told Brian "the guy I think that was in charge of the masq" that I didn't want to be judged. I just had to do it to prove myself something.
Anyway, The masquerade was enjoyable. It started late but so does EVERY masquerade LOL. My personal favorite skit was the one with the Dancing Rock Lee. oh... and of course that Sexy Leia XD
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Uchiha Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepka's_Hollow
The Guy who was two skits ahead of them, the gravitation guy who sang. dude if you read this, you were FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!.

Thanks a lot man!! That means a lot to me. I am actually starting a Band and we are going to be touring cons and performing more "Nittle Grasper" songs along with other Anime opening songs. So hopefully you will see more one day LOL

ALSO OMG HOW DID VOLDO NOT WIN A "BEST COSTUME EVER" AWARD?!
His costume was dead on. The body paint, the thong, the weapons, the walk, the victory poses... He even shaved his head!! He was fantastic.
I dont know if you noticed but when they were panning around the winners at the end he was even doing one of the voldo victory poses. God he was awesome.
Unread 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
SakuraBubbles
HIYA~!

At first, I thought that the people who DID win first place only won because it was their first costumes, but now that I know that the Voldo cosplayer was also his first time AND convention... it really doesn't match up. However, we shouldn't hate on those who did win first place, because it's not like they decided it. ... And don't hate on the judges, there's nothing we can do. .... Don't hate anybody. D:

But the good thing is that the Voldo cosplayer really got a lot of attention and wasn't mean or anything. Like, he wasn't full of himself, so he did a lot of funky stuff, like humping MisaMisa to death in the Chess Game. XD I dunno, sometimes the awards don't matter. If he had a blast, made a lot of friends, and did a bunch of cool stuff with other cosplayers, then that's really what counts, in my opinion.

And his walk was amazing.
Unread 07-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Nick
Thanks a lot man!! That means a lot to me. I am actually starting a Band and we are going to be touring cons and performing more "Nittle Grasper" songs along with other Anime opening songs. So hopefully you will see more one day LOL

ALSO OMG HOW DID VOLDO NOT WIN A "BEST COSTUME EVER" AWARD?!
His costume was dead on. The body paint, the thong, the weapons, the walk, the victory poses... He even shaved his head!! He was fantastic.
I dont know if you noticed but when they were panning around the winners at the end he was even doing one of the voldo victory poses. God he was awesome.
I don't know... I just don't.

I do know my friend the Misa is STILL talking about how amazing you are...
Catelyn Stark - Game of Thrones
MagentaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Michieru
Guru Of Magick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraBubbles
At first, I thought that the people who DID win first place only won because it was their first costumes, but now that I know that the Voldo cosplayer was also his first time AND convention... it really doesn't match up. However, we shouldn't hate on those who did win first place, because it's not like they decided it. ... And don't hate on the judges, there's nothing we can do. .... Don't hate anybody. D:

But the good thing is that the Voldo cosplayer really got a lot of attention and wasn't mean or anything. Like, he wasn't full of himself, so he did a lot of funky stuff, like humping MisaMisa to death in the Chess Game. XD I dunno, sometimes the awards don't matter. If he had a blast, made a lot of friends, and did a bunch of cool stuff with other cosplayers, then that's really what counts, in my opinion.

And his walk was amazing.
actually, the guy who cosplayed as Voldo almost didn't made it into the cosplay chess. If it wasn't for my idea to use him as a summon, he wouldn't have been there. Sometimes the people don't tell others to show up right on time or else face risking out of the event. I was the guy who cosplayed as the hero, though I went down with a major crash when Bakura summoned his friend and whammed me.
Unread 07-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
SakuraBubbles
HIYA~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michieru
actually, the guy who cosplayed as Voldo almost didn't made it into the cosplay chess. If it wasn't for my idea to use him as a summon, he wouldn't have been there. Sometimes the people don't tell others to show up right on time or else face risking out of the event. I was the guy who cosplayed as the hero, though I went down with a major crash when Bakura summoned his friend and whammed me.
I realize that. :b I was a summon, too, for Hohenhiem when he lost against... someone. I shot Hughes. :3

Actually, I thought it was pretty funny when Misa was against The Hero because he doesn't have a name, after all... so she can't kill him. XD Great cosplay, by the way, but I didn't like the game very much. I'll try it again someday, honest.
Unread 07-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
Uchiha Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaFox
I don't know... I just don't.

I do know my friend the Misa is STILL talking about how amazing you are...

*melts* thank u!!! You two were awesome too!!! You make such a great Raito ^_^
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #14
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
A lot of singing. Everyone who went up did a great job with their musical number, but a word of advice from watching you all. You don't have to finish the song. After about 2 minutes people will get bored, especially if you're a stand-and-sing musical number. I did genuinly find you all to be talented, but short IS sweet.
I concur; although I loved the songs, they can be edited or cut short to maintain audience interest.

Quote:
But I felt the Voldo was gipped like crazy. He was covered in body paint, fishnets and a GOLD... well... you know... I mean, I know I'm not to cosplay judge here AT ALL, but he was a fan favorite and that costume was psychotically good in my opinion.
I totally agree; what did it for me was, not only was it a phenomenal costume, but he maintained character every moment that he was on stage. He moved right, he even stood still right. He deserved more than he got.

Not that I know anything about audio, but sometimes people who had chosen to pre-record their dialogue were undecipherable due to bad audio, and sometimes people who were speaking couldn't project enough to be heard, either. Sadly, I probably missed out on a few good lines because I couldn't hear them clearly.

Was it just me, or were the first two AMVs a little bloody-- especially the second one? I was disturbed by it and I'm 24; I can't imagine it being really appropriate for a young child to see. Most little kids were probably in bed by then but I personally found them a little too graphic for a family atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I thought they were terrific (the first one was quite beautiful, in its own way), but maybe some indication should've been given that there was some graphic content so any parents could get youngsters out of the room.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro
Also, I dont know if it was because it was the only song I recognized when people sang, but that Luna singing that Sailor Moon song was like . . . wow. And people waved their cell phones like it was a concert and stuff . . . That was really nice.
What I loved even more about that was how she clearly responded to the enthusiasm the audience showed, and by the end she had gained a lot more confidence and was belting it out. Good for her.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote