Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
MonoyashaJLA
Creature creator

Unhappy Inuyasha needs HELP!!

Ok....I have recently finished the blade of my Emense Tetsusaiga, BUT I can't figure out how to rap the cloth on the swords handle. I'm a bit of a perfectionest and like to do things like there suppose to be done. I know its the basic wraping of a samuri sword handle......Help....
MonoyashaJLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Prince_Bejita
Pickle?

dood.......i can't help ya w/ the handle.....but i've been suckered into cosplaying Inu Yasha by a cute girl :-p Not that cosplaying him is bad, he was one of the ppl i wanted to cosplay as, but she asked. AAnyway, I was thinking about making the tetsusaiga as i saw this post! But if your talking about the one thats a demon's tooth, i would imagine it would involve a semi-heavy material ripped into strips instead of cut. ummmm........dunno from there. its really late so my brain is mush. when i think of something i'll drop ya a line.
Prince_Bejita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
FallinSouls
lin kuei warrior

hockey Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoyashaJLA
Ok....I have recently finished the blade of my Emense Tetsusaiga, BUT I can't figure out how to rap the cloth on the swords handle. I'm a bit of a perfectionest and like to do things like there suppose to be done. I know its the basic wraping of a samuri sword handle......Help....
k i'd use gray hockey tape man I can get it any time of the year at canadian tire but i dont know about the states though
FallinSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
UpstartCrow
Chicks dig it dude, PYON!

I'd reccommend using plain cotton hemming tape (not the kind that is heat bonding) it's basically just a thin (1/4 inch wide is best) strip of cotton fabric, taking you handle, a piece of 1 inch or so thick wood, planed to shape is best, coat the handle in contact cement.

Once the cement is dried, take the middle of the strip. And place it right at the bottom of the tsuba on the omote, the side of the handle that faces away from your body, if you were wearing the blade edge up, on your left side.begin wrapping each side around creating "X"s with the fabric, making sure that the fabric creates a zig zag pattern going down the length. Make sure that you DO NOT expose any of the diamond shapes that normally are part of a japanese wrap. this is very important. Once you have finished the length, tie it off, and leave some dangling. Now take a length of strip and contact cement the middle 1/3 of the tsuka, and wrap it around in a spiral, tuck each edge under one of the diamonds. once it is all held securely, and the contact cement is cured thouroughly, handle the blade alot with unclean hands, lightly rub it with coarse sandpaper now and again, basically put the pristine white cloth though a lot of abuse in a short period of time and you'll very quickly have a wrap that looks right. BTW this style of wrapi is called Hinari tsukamaki, or simply hinari maki, it is a type of battle wrap that came into heavy use during the sengoku jidai (warring states era) and was used to prevent the samegawa (ray skin) from being damaged by blood, sweat and the elements durring campaigns. actually throughout inuyasha, an understanding of the dress and customs of the sengoku jidai helps to keep you from overlooking a lot of easily misinterpereted details. Ie the type of hakama and kimono, the types of weapons, etc.
UpstartCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
InuYasha Girl

I'll tell you the steps.
1. Get an old white tee and rip it to a long shred.
2. Glue the end of the shred to the base of the handle by the sword.
3. Rap it like a candy cane swirl while glueing it to the handle.
4. When you get to the part where the gold is stop!
5. Then rap it down to where you first started but, When you do that rap it not as close as when you went up.
I hope that will help.
InuYasha Girl is offline   Reply With Quote