Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 03-08-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
rpd_girl
"the Biohazard girl"

didn't mean to start a fight... about Final Fantasy

I guess I should be more specific... I was meaning to say in a liquid bread kinda way... that... I love Final Fantasy... but I shy away from cosplaying characters because alot of people do....

so... I pose this question to the floor.. (not as an argument, but as a discussion)

Much like Finala Fantasy for me... do people shy away from thier fav characters in anything so not to be a duplicate of duplicate?

Do you rather dress as someone less common you like to be different?

Or do you enjoy seeing other Sailor Moons/Clouds/Etc. because it is fun to see how others did it and apprriciate the same character?

For me I like to be different,. Seeing someone else in the same costume is cool... just some of the stuff I'd like to do seems like a "saturated market" you know? Does that sound bad? (hence, am I the Devil?)

I guess that is more clear and less aggressive. the other subject was more of an attention getter and how I felt atm. I just thought those questions would come out as people posted... sorry >.<*
rpd_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2003, 01:22 AM   #2
Moomba
Pants-Stealing Bishoujo

Well, I personally like seeing the same costume in different ways.....last year at Sakura Con I was one of 9 Yunas, and we were all different! It was cool. But if there's a character without much room for "creativity", like say, Rinoa, then seeing a whole bunch of them would be tiresome......and rare characters are always good ^_^ but if you love a common character......why not?
Moomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 02:06 AM   #3
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Well, the real point of cosplaying is to pretend you're one of your favorite characters, or a character you can relaly relate to. There are always debates about should you cosplay who you like blah blah, and when it comes down to it, it's all up to the cosplay. Personally, I say you should cosplay FF characters, if you really like them.

It would suck if someone avoided their favorite characters just so they didn't seem to be following the crowd. People won't judge you. ^_^
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 04:43 AM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Some people don't cosplay characters because they're overdone, and won't do it as much as they love it.

Some people cosplay them anyway -- because they might just be Rinoa/Yuna #248735345, but it's THEIR first time, and their chance. ^_^;

I'm somewhere in the middle. o_o I don't know quite how to explain that.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 05:31 AM   #5
Nine
The busty one!

I don't care about over done cosplay. I really don't. I don't really like to cosplay characters that are uncommon, because I like to be recognised.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 06:00 AM   #6
Ginny
Bad Wolf
Special Agent

If I like a character and I wanna cosplay them, I do. I don't give a damn who else is wearing what. I do what I want. ^__^
Unread 03-08-2003, 06:25 AM   #7
Sailor Naboo
Cosplay Reformer!

I'm sure most people don't share my opinion on this, but when it comes to costumes that are done a lot, I have this "thing" about not making the costume unless I'm sure that I'll be able to do it more accurately (and yes, I know this might sound stuck up) or better than the majority of the others out there.

As an example, that's why I haven't done a Yuna costume! There is too much detail on the skirt and obi, and I have no drawing or painting ability. I feel like if the costume is done a lot, I really have to be able to show that it was worth doing again. As an example, there is no way my own version of a Yuna costume would even come close to what so many people are able to do! My obi would look like it was fingerpainted by a first grader!

Also, I won't make (or wear) a costume unless I know I'll be able to get the hair and shoes just right. Since I'm really not very good at styling my own hair, let alone a wig, this limits me to characters without ornate hair. Also, there are times where I'll just love a costume and I'll see that I could do the hair, but then the character wears huge ugly hiking-like boots. This happens a lot in video games. Sure, if they are treking all over the place and fighting evil, so I guess matching pumps are a bad idea...but I wish some of the RPG girls would take a foot fashion tip from Sailor Mars or even Sailor Jupiter. Jupiter wears boots, but they have style!
Sailor Naboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 07:15 AM   #8
ChibiRinoa
Dynamic Duo

there are times when i get an idea that i want to cosplay somebody, then realize how many other people have done it. then i think about how i could make it different. My first 2-3 costumes have been characters that are dubbed "overdone" (Rinoa, Squall, Sailor Neptune, and pretty soon, a Yuna) But then i make it an effort to make something on it "mine". i try my best to think of something that nobody has done before, or something that will make my costume stand out. For example, the wings on my Rinoa costume, i didnt paint them on, i used feathers, and the dont stick out from me like a set of wings, theyre just glued on there, and they're cute and fluffy. I havent seen anything like that done before, so im proud of my costume, even if it is overdone.
Yuna is overcosplayed. but i dont mind seeing her. its a great costume! ive even fell into the trap of cosplaying her, but again, ive decided to do one with flair. i took a picture of her, stuck it in paint, and inverted the colors. Im going to make an Inverted Yuna! Thats something that i havent seen done yet!
ChibiRinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 08:37 AM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Much like Finala Fantasy for me... do people shy away from thier fav characters in anything so not to be a duplicate of duplicate?

Yes. I don't like the 'cloning factory disaster' look. ^__^

> Do you rather dress as someone less common you like to be different?

I love less common characters. It's a great way to meet people who like the same thing you do... like Ramirez. You have to actually have played Skies of Arcadia to know him. You can't just know him like everyone and their dog knows Yuna whether they played the game or not. So when someone comes up to me and recognizes me, I know I can have an in-depth discussion.

Moreover, I like, through a costume, to bring attention to lesser-known animes and games, and try to convince people to give them a try. There IS a world outside of Final Fantasy RPGs! And some of them are *gasp* better too!

> Or do you enjoy seeing other Sailor Moons/Clouds/Etc. because it is fun to see how others did it and apprriciate the same character?

No. I like finding people from the same series, not the same character and even less the same costume. There is always an awkwardness there. If my costume was better, I'd feel bad for the person looking shabby in comparison, if theirs was better I'd feel bad for looking shabby in comparison. It's sort of a lose-lose situation.

> just some of the stuff I'd like to do seems like a "saturated market" you know?

Yes it's what I call the "banner ad syndrome". You know how when you surf the net your brain ends up conditioned not to see the banner ads? (it was actually proven in a survey and this is why we have overlays now ><) Well Yunas are like that to me, I just unconsciously edit Yunas out and I don't see them anymore... because I have seen so many.

> Does that sound bad? (hence, am I the Devil?)

No worries, if you're the devil, I'm one of your henchmen. ]=)~
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:40 AM   #10
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

As much as I hate to agree with you Rosiel I do. I love Yuna (as if the name didn't give you that impression) and it sucks that she's an incredibly cosplayed character. I'm remaking Yuna's costume right now becuase my other one was stollen, and it's kind of sad knowing that all the work and attention to detail that I'm putting into this costume is just going to be over looked completely by people like you. I mean, for AX, I didn't just throw on my Yuna costume for the masquerade, knowing that it would be the same Yuna costume that everyone had already seen. No, I put extra work into it, 145+ hours of extra work in it, to make it stand out a little to the judges. It's sad that all that work doesn't even get the benefit of the doubt because you've seen so many that one more coudln't possibly leave any sort of impression on you in the slightest.

I have this conversation with Mikey all the time: just because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad... or it wouldn't be popular in the first place. Just because everyone and their mother has cosplayed Yuna, doesn't mean that you have, or that should you cosplay her, no one would give a rat's ass. I would. I LOVE seeing people cosplay Yuna. I see 12 of them at AX and I think it's awesome. Don't let popularity disscourage you.

But on the same token, there are going ot be people who have never played Final Fantasy X who are going to cosplay Yuna. These people will only have th information about Yuna that they have gathered from the internet or from hear-say. Those people piss me off because as a huge fan of the game, and more over Yuna, they are the people that totally take away from the costume and just make it "another Yuna."

You have to ask yourself how much you like the character and how much you're willing to put into a costume that most people are just going to pass over and dismiss.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:57 AM   #11
Sana-chan
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by G-chan
If I like a character and I wanna cosplay them, I do. I don't give a damn who else is wearing what. I do what I want. ^__^
Amen XD.

I agree though with Nessa about people who just see that it's the costume everyone's doing, and then decide to do it too @_@. You should cosplay someone who you really like. All of my costumes have costed me well over $100 to make so I don't think I'd feel like putting so much time, money, and effort into something I didn't even love.

Personally I like seeing other people dressed as what I'm dressed as. It's fun to discuss with those people on how the two of us made our costumes and what not. I remember at AX02 all the Lulus were talking about the hardships of all those belts and sharing ideas on how they could all improve it to make it more comfortable.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #12
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I'm remaking Yuna's costume right now becuase my other one was stollen

It was? O_O This is horrible!

> detail that I'm putting into this costume is just going to be over looked completely by people like you.

It's sad but true, after you see a costume a number of times, they don't stand out anymore. I remember the awe at seeing my first Lulu, pointing her out, everyone staring because it looked so cool. Now it's "oh, look, another Lulu" and we go on our way.

As for yours, of course I would notice it, because I /know/ you! *laughs*

> It's sad that all that work doesn't even get the benefit of the doubt because you've seen so many that one more coudln't possibly leave any sort of impression on you in the slightest.

See, on top of it all, like quite a number of people, I haven't played the game. So unless the costume is really bad, I can't tell a good Yuna from an average Yuna. (Same with Lulu, Auron, etc.)

Sadly, work != lasting impression. One of the most frustrating costumes I ever made got almost no attention. If it doesn't look like a lot of work, people don't notice.

> Don't let popularity disscourage you.

Of course! This is a personal issue. There will always be Yuna/Lulu/Auron etc. fans, there will always be people who complain about seeing too many, there will always be people who just gloss over them due to overexposure.

You should cosplay who you want, as long as you are comfortable with the outcome. ^__^

For example, being unique/obscure means a lot of people coming up asking you who you're supposed to be and sometimes being overlooked at masquerades.

So there is good, and bad, in both cases.

You just need to figure out where you stand.
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #13
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

>It was? O_O This is horrible!

Yeah x_x I was going to remake the costume reguardless because of the gross inaccruacies of the first one and it just being out dated, but I didn't want that to be my push x_x

>As for yours, of course I would notice it, because I /know/ you! *laughs*

Well yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend who's doing a Lulu costume. She has been making this Lulu costume for over 7 months. Angela (Mandy as some know her) already made a $300 plus Rikku costume and has spent that much, if not more on her Lulu costume. I know it's going to just be AMAZING, but because there are *so* many Lulu's, not everyone is going to have the appriciation for it that I do. *sigh* I <3 Angela *o* XD

>For example, being unique/obscure means a lot of people coming up asking you who you're supposed to be and sometimes being overlooked at masquerades.

O.M.G. People come up to me in Lala all the time, "Who are you?" or "Just what are you supposed to be?" and it's like x_x; O can sfaly say that my Lala costume is absolutly freaking perfect (mostly because I didn't make it =D) but it doesn't just much appriciation for its accurasy becuase it's so obscure. Ojamajo Doremi isn't that obscure anymore, but Lala is. x_x The only other Lala cosplayer I've seen is Char and that doesn't count cause it's the same freaking costume x_x

>It's sad but true, after you see a costume a number of times, they don't stand out anymore. I remember the awe at seeing my first Lulu, pointing her out, everyone staring because it looked so cool. Now it's "oh, look, another Lulu" and we go on our way.

I do agree totally with that. I take that risk when I cosplay Yuna that half the people who see me are just going to look right through me. I understand that acpect of popular cosplay, so when I put on that costume, I take that risk. That's just my choice. You have to be able to make that choice when you are cosplaying, or considering the cosplay of a popular character.

Last edited by Yuna : 03-08-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #14
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I'm of the "if I like it, I'm going to cosplay it" mentality. It just happens that most of what I have cosplayed in the past is obscure, or not often done ^^;;.

Although, when I start thinking about a popular costume, I think about all the times it's been done SO well. . .and then I get discouraged. That happened with my Tohru costume. When I had it at home, I thought it was adorable! Then when I was wearing it at Katsucon, with four or five other Tohrus, I started to feel self-conscious, nitpicking at every little thing about mine. I guess this helps me improve, but it makes me feel bad at the time ^^;;

Besides. . .if your costume is done well, it'll get attention whether you're obscure or popular. I get the most comments on my Pretear costume, but the majority of people I talk to don't have the faintest idea who I am.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:21 AM   #15
Ravenous
threshold of pain

about the same characters or costumes----ive seen alot (remembered a fuhsigi con and a final fantasy con and shuddered)
i might say it seems like looking to a clone factory, but one would look at the aspect....which one CARRIES it better. And i dont care if i have a clone in a con ^^; I'll make sure I WILL carry it better.

Just my P.O.V.----so dont bite me O_o;;;
Match her fury and let fires reign.
There is no escape.
Nature means what she does."

---RaVen0us---
Ravenous is offline   Reply With Quote