Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon > Rides / Roommates

Unread 07-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Mucai
Magical Girl

Ride needed New York

I'm wondering if anyone going down from New York will be able to give me a lift to Otakon. I should be able to help out with fuel/tolls if needed. I only need a ride to Otakon. I'm going to DC afterwards.

I'm also looking for a room for the Sunday night only. I have a room for Thursday-Saturday nights in the Radisson.

Thanks ^_^
Mucai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
MinekaC
Senet, game of the pharoh

You really need to let people know what part of NY yer hopin to get a ride from. Though it being 12 days till the end, that might be tough.
Anyway, I mean it's a big difference between Buffalo and Albany, and Albany and West Point. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Mucai
Magical Girl

I've been looking for a ride for the past month ^^;;
I'm in Osaka right now, I fly to London on Tuesday or Wednesday, then go to JFK sometime on the 1st.

If I meant Buffalo or Albany, I would have said Buffalo or Albany ^^;; I'll be staying at a hostel in Manhattan.
Unread 07-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Lethardicus

take the bus? at broadway?
Unread 07-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
khando

yea need 1, 2 from city (I can goto NJ if need be)
khando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Mucai
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethardicus
take the bus? at broadway?
Which gets off at the Geryhound station, an "unsafe" part of town, with the added issue of then trying to find a way to the hotel/BCC area.
Unread 07-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Mishiba
mikuru miracle beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloris
Which gets off at the Geryhound station, an "unsafe" part of town, with the added issue of then trying to find a way to the hotel/BCC area.
We're taking about the same city, right? NYC? (just want to make sure)
If so,
Greyhound station is in Port Authority on 42nd and 8th, and is rather safe. It's guarded with police, and especially heavily at night time. (I take bus there at least couple times a week btw)
Unless you are cosplaying at the station ^^, people won't even bother looking at you twice. Just take usual 'caution'.

Greyhound bus stops at a station near BCC. It is within walking distance (which I have done before), but at your own risk since I cannot say for Baltimore. For me it was eventless 15 min. walk.

If you are looking for somewhat cheaper transportation than Greyhound, there are chinatown buses. Just type in <Chinatown bus NYC> in Google. However this stops a bit further away from the BCC, and may need to take cab, which you can share with other Con-goers. (this is what I'll be doing this year.)
Hope this helps. ^^/

Dilly-Dallying in... Deviant Art

///06 OTAKON///
Yukari from Paradise Kiss
Chigusa from Battle Royale
wishful thinking-Haruhi from Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Mishiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
Lethardicus

i was talkin about the chinatown bus
http://www.gotobus.com/chinatownbus/
and basically, leave from broadway street around there, destination is, 5600 O'Donnell St, then you can take the #20 bus, which is like, 15-20 min to convention center/hotel area place, cheap, i suppose, its what im doing as well

Last edited by Lethardicus : 07-23-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #9
Mucai
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishiba
We're taking about the same city, right? NYC? (just want to make sure)
If so,
Greyhound station is in Port Authority on 42nd and 8th, and is rather safe. It's guarded with police, and especially heavily at night time. (I take bus there at least couple times a week btw)
Nope. I was at the Port Authority station last year, don't have a problem with safety there. Getting lost on the other hand... @_@;;. I was also at the Baltimore station a few days before hand last year. It looked to be in a run down back street type area and someone on the otakon forums mentioned that the area wasnít safe. It sure didnít look safe when I was there last year.
Unread 07-24-2006, 04:24 AM   #10
Mishiba
mikuru miracle beam

ah I see ^^//
Hope you find a ride...
but if you ever decide to use Chinatown bus, maybe I can help you somehow to not get lost. ^^;
yeah, Baltimore station seems rather run-down. I really didn't run into any trouble walking around the town though, but then again, I kinda have that 'don't-talk-to-me-I'm-so-gonna-ignore-you' look when I walk...;;

Good luck again!

Dilly-Dallying in... Deviant Art

///06 OTAKON///
Yukari from Paradise Kiss
Chigusa from Battle Royale
wishful thinking-Haruhi from Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Mishiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #11
Mucai
Magical Girl

Walking long distances with all my bags is not the sort of thing I really want to do... ^^;;
I have 3 bags total... 1 with all my cosplay stuff in it, 1 with my travel stuff and my carryon bag. I'm on a round the world trip.
Travel plan flight map
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Lethardicus

wooooow, very very very impressive
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
ForeverDevotion
Apples to Apples

Depending on if the other two people come in my car, I might have an opening spot or spots. The only catch is that you would need to take the train down to NJ where I am, but from a friend doing it last year, it was easy and a straight shot.

SN: DevotionDemoness
ForeverDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
MinekaC
Senet, game of the pharoh

If you still end up not being able to get a ride, and are forced to take the bus. I'll be glad to meet you n help carry shtoof. *smiles* Sailor scout honour. We otaku are supposed to help each other out. So if you're worried about the area cause you'll be allown and have alot of shtoof fear not, I'll complain quite a bit of carrying stuff, but I'm a good sort and won't care excessively. Though depending, I might be driving down via Albany (I'm in PA, but my bf is in Albany) and we might be able to make a side stop (not in NYC, but at one of the train stops outside of the city. He's rather a wuss when it comes to city driving. Don't tell him I said that though, please?) We're planning to drive down thursday. That is again, if he doesn't have to triangle to pick me up, and I'm in Albany.
Also I lived in NY for..... uhh...... long time. So when people say NY I think the state. They need to say NYC for me to pick up that it's in the five boroughs. Sorry, there's just a difference between local mentality and out of towners. *smiles* If yer intrested, I shall pm you when I figure out if we'll be coming down straight from Albany.