Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

View Poll Results: Which version(s) do you like?
The anime 3 60.00%
The original manga 1 20.00%
The manga artbook 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Shukiechan
Other Worldly

CCS Rubber Kitty Decision

I'm actually going to go through with making the Cardcaptor Sakura rubber kitty costume. For those of you that don't know what I'm taking about...
Tomoyo, Sakura's friend, makes her outfits to wear when she goes out to capture the Clow Cards. In the episode where Sakura captures the Thunder card, Tomoyo created a pink and black outfit that she said is made out of rubber (it doesn't conduct electricity).
The point is, I want to make it authentically with rubber. Also, most people that I have seen in any Sakura cosplay for that matter have not properly gotten that "poofiness" that her skirts have. I'm trying to go for that as well (probably with wiring or something).

This is the anime version. The pink is a much brighter/hotter pink than the manga versions.

This is the manga version; yes, there are two types. The top one is from the manga itself with lots of extra underskirt and the bottom one with the smaller pink skirt is probably from an artbook. Notice that the manga versions are a much lighter pink, almost white, and have small bells at the end of the skirt compared to the anime version.

Here's my dilemma: I don't know which version I want to do and I don't know where to get rubber material. So far, I found a wetsuit material called Neoprene that is a spongelike rubber (or, at least, similar to it). And I plan on only making anything pink be made out of rubber. The black will probably be a spandex or stretchy material. Unless rubber's not that expensive (I doubt it), then I might try to make more with rubber.
I know I'm going to ask my friend if she'd like to help me make it. XD Does anyone else have any ideas?
Shukiechan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

I would say, since finding the material is going to be difficult to see which color you can find and base the decision off of that. I don't know anything about rubber, but maybe one color will be easier to find than the other.

As for the skirt you will need a very full petticoat to give it that poof. Cosworx has some petticoats in it's store.
Unread 07-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Shukiechan
Other Worldly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Chan~
I would say, since finding the material is going to be difficult to see which color you can find and base the decision off of that. I don't know anything about rubber, but maybe one color will be easier to find than the other.
I actually found something on eBay that might work. It's called latex rubber.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
It's going to be about $40 per meter though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Chan~
As for the skirt you will need a very full petticoat to give it that poof. Cosworx has some petticoats in it's store.
Those petticoats won't give me that poof that I need. I'm going to experiment with wiring to really make it stick out.
Unread 07-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Petticoat. Definately petticoat. Unfortunately with wire, if it's not really thick, it will sag and you will lose the fluff. If it's really thick and can hold up the skirt, it's a safety hazard to everyone around you.
May I suggest a squaredancing petticoat? Those things are monsterous, even for my standards. Or maybe a combination of a huge petticoat and very light wiring.

Small note, rubber is an insulator. It is DEATHLY hot. Be very careful.

~Ari-chan
Unread 07-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Shukiechan
Other Worldly

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief
Petticoat. Definately petticoat. Unfortunately with wire, if it's not really thick, it will sag and you will lose the fluff. If it's really thick and can hold up the skirt, it's a safety hazard to everyone around you.
May I suggest a squaredancing petticoat? Those things are monsterous, even for my standards. Or maybe a combination of a huge petticoat and very light wiring.
That was an idea I had. I'll still have to expirement quite a bit to see what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief
Small note, rubber is an insulator. It is DEATHLY hot. Be very careful.

~Ari-chan
That's why I only want to make the top part with rubber. The shirt/pants I'm just wanting to use a stretchy material like spandex. I'll have to find something breatheable. ^-^
I wore vinyl pants one year and that was pretty hot... But it's something you have to suffer with a little. Lots of water.
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

May I suggest using PVC instead of striahgt rubber? You can probably get a similar effect for a fourth of the price...

http://www.syfabrics.com/mojocart/di...fm?prod_id=628