Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 03-08-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

long shot - CostumeCon anyone?

Ah especially since it's the same weekend as I-Con, I believe, this is a long shot . . . but if I'm going to be the only anime cosplayer there, I'd like to know lol so I can represent as well as possible! ^_~ And of course if anyone else is going, company would be great.

The con is in Chicago (Skokie technically) this year, dates are April 18-20. Here's the site - http://www.jennifarse.com/cc2003/ . I've never been to one before, but think I'll learn a lot there, sounds like there are going to be some very useful panels. ^^

Unread 03-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Ayaka: That sounds like fun. If you're going, please let us know how it is. I think most people will be at Anime Boston or I-con that weekend. I myself will be at the Cherry Blossom Festival Parade (on Sunday the 20th) here in San Fran, so that'll be a fun cosplay event. (provided it doesn't rain..) $80 for the weekend for registration? That's the highest amount to $$ I've seen to pay for a reg. fee for a con. Even a HUGE con like San Diego Comic Con charges $65 the most..
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Yes . . . the price . . . it HURTS . . . ><;;; I'm hoping that it's so much because this is a major costuming convention and the panels will be really good.

But yeah, I'll take lots of photos to share (there MUST be people who come in costume!), and will hopefully bring back some great tips for making stuff! (I'm taking a notebook!)
Ayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
KuroBara
dog of the military

Ayaka, I-Con is March 28th, so no conflict there. 0_0 that is a painful price! I thought BAAF's $75 was steep!
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #5
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

I think the reason it's so expensive is because it isn't simply just a "lets get together and play dressup!" con... it is an event to show off SUPERIOR costume construction skills. The ultra serious costume designers attend this event... 99% of the cosplay we see at anime cons wouldn't hold a candle to things at this con.

But this is only what i have *heard* I have never attended it before...I dont think i have the skills =p
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

KuroBara - D'oh! You're right, I'm an idiot. lol. Thanks for pointing that out! ^^

Maryssa - Yah, I don't think I'm going to go *in costume* to this one. ><;;;
Ayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2003, 06:18 AM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I'll be at Anime Boston that weekend, which is a downer because I actually have friends from England coming in for Costume Con. But I can't afford another con I have to travel to this year...
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2003, 02:56 AM   #8
sundancekat
geek of all trades

I so wanted to go to Costume Con but I don't have the finances to travel up there. ~_~ But before I had to scrap the trip I was planning to go with a few other anime con cosplayers, so there will probably be a few others there as well.

From what I hear, the con is a very humbling experience, but you will learn so much from everything you do that weekend.
sundancekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryssa
I think the reason it's so expensive is because it isn't simply just a "lets get together and play dressup!" con... it is an event to show off SUPERIOR costume construction skills. The ultra serious costume designers attend this event... 99% of the cosplay we see at anime cons wouldn't hold a candle to things at this con.
At the risk of being accused of the dreaded Thread Necromancy , I will say that I have seen several kick-ass costumes at Anime cons that I think would be very well received there. But yes, one probably ought to bring one's more primo stuff. Then again, casual is fine in the halls....

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 03-29-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Something else to remember about Costume Con is that, yes, a great many REALLY GOOD COSTUMERS are there, but you shouldn't feel intimidated. Rather, you should come and learn what you need to learn, and you just might surprise yourself with what you know.

I don't think that folks who go mean for the event to be intimidating. I've been costuming for a very long time, and I do some things very well, but there's a lot I can still learn. Costume Con lets me do both things.

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

It's a common feeling you quickly get over. When we went to our first CC, I saw this photo board of costumes from past years and felt I was WAY out of my league. But you quickly realize:

A. Everybody is glad to see you there.
B. Nobody plays "better costumer than thou"
C. There are varying levels of skill. Not everyone is a Ricky and Karen, Jaqui Ward, Pierre and Sandy, etc. The novices are good, but like has been said, there's some pretty good media/anime stuff that could stand up against just about anything I've see at CC - Master(s) level included

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
Gravely

[quote=Buddycat]

C. Not everyone is a Ricky and Karen, Jaqui Ward, Pierre and Sandy, etc.

which is of course a shame, cause just think of the time and money they'd save in name badges alone.
( thinking of the movie Zulu, where half the regiment is named Jones, so they call them by the last digits of their serial number.)

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

Talking

Besides, showing off your costumes is only half the fun of Costume-Con --
The other half is learning!

It's an entire weekend dedicated to the art and craft of costume, meaning design, patterning, construction and ornamentation techniques, as well as a bit of stagecraft and performance tips to help you cosplay your character more effectively, whether on the stage or on the street.

Oh, and for those of you who know what this means: the Evil Geniuses will be sponsoring the con suite after the Science Fiction and Fantasy masquerade at CC24.
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote