Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-10-2003, 06:52 AM   #1
michanchan
U.b.e.r - N.e.u.b

Wings of all Sorts

making own wings with own feathers seems challanging but i gotta find out how cause i'm planning to make the giant wings for Keroberos true costume. There was also Ken Hidaka's wings from Gluhen that i need to figure out, and wanted to make a small pair for squall... should i use foam, poster board or actual feathers and if i do, how'd i do the feathers part without buying the actual wing set?
michanchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
LLC

There are places that sell very large "Angel Wings" (around 60"). However, as might be expected they are expensive.
Your best choice for wings like that is to use artifical feathers that are based on ostrich style. That way they are very long and very fluffy. That cuts down the weight and the amount of attachment to the framework.
Specialy craft stores is the place to take a look for these and if they do not have them in stock can generally order them.

One option we have done is to make a wing (depending on size you want) out of a stiff leather. One can then inscribe or paint on feather impressions (we did a set of "Hawkgirl" wings this way) or you can use the leather sheeting for attachment of feathers.

Either way generally plan on piercing the quills with a sharp needle and then using a good nylon thread (carpet threading works well) to bind the individual feathers on.
LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
michanchan
U.b.e.r - N.e.u.b

for the money thing, i really dun like the designs set on those types of wings... They look too... "Fairy" like to me, i would like some that reveal more then just the arch, i dunno that's how i feel about those.

Leather is a good idea, but too much effort into painting them, i actually started on making it by placing the feathers one by one along side each other after sorting it out, so far it looks like a raven's wing. I might wanna just hotglue everything.

^_^ but thanks for the oppionion
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
katnap007
Looking for Magitek.

Drop by a Victoria Secret store. I've seen some incredible wings there, (displayed in the front windows, not for sale.) It looks like styrofoam or some medium craved in the shape desired, then regular white feathers are glued on in rows of neat patterns.
katnap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #5
Romann
Fantastic Explosion

OOOH! I hate walking in a Victoria's secret store and seeing all those pretty wings!!! I always ask if they're for sale, and of course, they're not. But if you search online and download the VS fashion show from last year (or this year?) they had a special section on how their wings were made... and they are beautiful.
Unread 03-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
aimee
it's a sparkly!

the ones on display in the store however are made differently than the ones used in the show.

I'd use something other than styrofoam (what's used int he store) for wings you intend to wear. use something lighter and more flexible. most of the ones in the show used a fabric or paper base on a wire- wireframe, if I remember right.
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

www.fantasywings.com

Have a looksy over there.
Mei Lan Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #8
Romann
Fantastic Explosion

I was diggin that site, Mei...until I saw the prices. That's enough for materials for 2 or 3 costumes ^ ^: But they look really high quality though...maybe when I'm rich one day....
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #9
michanchan
U.b.e.r - N.e.u.b

now those are some nice wings... Thanks for the sight ^_^ i'll try and see if i can make it since i have something to look at.
Unread 03-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
michanchan
U.b.e.r - N.e.u.b

YAY, i was finally able to create some crappy looking wings that i've been trying to figure out for months...

pictures can be found on my gallery > Goofing Around
Unread 03-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
KittenTheChibi

In order to make my wings for a costume I made... I mounted on Pleather renforced with a metal peice.. But unless you have time to cut and peice the metal I suggest using a sturdy peice of styrofoam.

Good luck hun!!!
Unread 03-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #12
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir Lumine
But if you search online and download the VS fashion show from last year (or this year?) they had a special section on how their wings were made... and they are beautiful.
would you care to tell us how they were made?
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
nyamiko_chan
Pat, pat, *cringe*

ya!! I'm going to make some movable Yue wings hopefully!!

at least light enough to wear and there's the problem.

That leather/pleather idea is good...but a color that's light enough for white feathers for me ^^

I'll keep you posted on any progress ^.~!!
nyamiko_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
hotohori74
Dark is snazzy! KAWAII!

Using pleather sounds like a pretty good, I just might try that.
But my wings aren't... uh, normal. They belong to The Black Waltz 3(FF9). (Sorry, no pics as of late)
They attach to your back, like normal, but they are complete bone until they reach the height of your head, then they span out into large black and dark-teal feathers... I have my work cut out for me. NE1 think I should try out the wire frame, or use some kind of bendable, plastic tubing?

Some of my friends have given me some good ideas, but I saw these postings, so, I decided to run it by u all.
hotohori74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 06:41 AM   #15
KittenTheChibi

Wire may work but you run rish or it folding in on its self try screwing the bone onto sheet metal inforced base that might help...