Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 08-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal
Ooh I like the Fabricland in Oakville. That's the second closest to me. ^_^ They aways have good borg/funfur/faux fur.
OMG, don't even get me started on how many times that location has saved my butt for hard-to-find fabric o_o I'm making a costume from Gunbuster and I was looking for this strange purple colour fabric in swimsuit material. In the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't find it, and that location was my last ditch effort before looking online... and wouldn't you know it o_o

I nearly kissed the girl that was helping me look for it! And I bought the whole stock they had of it LOL

I think I would seriously cry if that location ever closed!! *knocks on wood*
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #17
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

I used to work at the Fabricland in Surrey, BC for two years. I left for multiple reasons, one being I was offered a new, better paying, job elsewhere and another being that I knew the store would be relocated in the upcoming months. Within weeks of me leaving, several other girls left too.

For now, Fabricland in Surrey is closed. They could not find a new location for it before the lease expired. At the same time, the Lewis Crafts in the same area and the nearby Fabricana closed too. I must say, it's a real pain in the butt these days to get anything for cosplay.

According to all the higher-ups of Fabricland, while general sales were always pretty good (they still had declined in the past few years), the main problem was the average sale. Too many people would come in and only bought a spool of thread, a $2 purchuse, and so our average sales just got slaughtered. General interest in sewing has decreased as well--these days, no one has time to sew and it's too easy to buy cheap clothes in stores.

As a shopper, I loved Fabricland. Once I realized how frequently a fabric went on sale at 50% off, I never again paid more than half price for anything!

Working at Fabricland wasn't great (oh my god, some customers were terrible), but once in a blue moon, I'd get a cosplayer come in and I'd be in heaven! I loved helping cosplayers and I got so many regulars!
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan
I was down on Queen/Main St. a couple days ago and I didn't see too many fabric stores. Maybe I'm just blind, but are there specific stores that sell good stuff on Queen?
Main? That's wayyy east...all the fabric stores are on Queen street W. between Spadina and Bathurst. Some have been moving out to Dufferin as rents on Queen W. are going way up recently. King Fabrics (on Richmond Street just west of Spadina) is also a super fabulous place. And if you go further west on Queen (past Dufferin) there's Designer Fabrics (big orange sign, can't miss it) which has one of the best selections of silk, spandex, pleather and other specialty fabrics in the city.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
Raviekins
Metal ♥ Heart

You could always come to the St. Catherines Fabricland *nudgenudge*. Even though it's VERY out of your way. XD (Is a proud employee) I lurve my discounts and ADORE when cosplayers come in. Everyone I work with knows to reffer them to me. XD

Last edited by Raviekins : 08-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Raviekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #20
Vicky
Now with more bwag

I wish I caught the name of the store on Queen Street that I love... I keep forgetting to write it down to tell other people XD The store is so full of fabric you can hardly move around in it, but it's so awesome! So many different colours of PVC *_* I just wish it was organized better...
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #21
akina_chan666
Professional Daddy's Girl

*sigh* I live in Brampton too... but I don't think I'm going to settle for either Walmart or going so far just to get to another fabricland. I never really liked them to be honest... The stuff at Queen street has more variety and I thinks it way better quality most of the time. I got eight yards of this goreous satiny fabric for only $30 (it was usually like $8 a yard but I bargained). And the old dude working there thought I was pretty *....shudder* so he gave me 2 yards of trim FOR FREE.
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #22
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Wow, nice guy~!! ^_____^
Unread 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #23
LugiaP2K
Shaman King Cosplayer

I went to the Fabricland in the Bramela City Center the week before it closed, and got $70 worth of fabric for my Yoh costume for about $17. So, that was nice ^^. I will probably just end up going to the Fabricland in Shopper's World now for whatever I need (I've been there before). Of course, I always try to buy the stuff that is on sale, so the price doesn't usually bother me. It would be nice if there was another fabric store in Georgetown though; as opposed to going to Brampton everytime.

Anime North 2014 (May 23-25)

Yoh Asakura (Shaman King)
Hao Asakura (Shaman King)
LugiaP2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #24
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

White Rose oh how I miss you. That like a part of my childhood I’ll never get back. T_T

Lewis Crafts was my saviour when White Rose reopened to not being the same place it used to be. It was scary when I came back from school and their was a hole where it use to be. All my feathers where gone for good. Michel’s just doesn’t carry the feathers I want and the ones they have are too highly priced for the value. Even Halloween boas are better made then the ones they sale there.

WallMart isn’t the place for fabric really I can see the quilters liking it but that’s about it. The only thing I bought in the “fabric” department was green and yellow Broadcloth.

I’ve never seen or heard of BouClair's so I’ll just ignore it if I do lol

Admittedly Guelph has an absence amount of second hand /consignment stores there is 5 in our small downtown and 4 more including Value Village around town. Me and my friends usually end up hitting those places first for material. Even for this year I was looking for red and black lace, lo and behold I found this ugly matronly 80’ds cut dress with the most wonderful red flower with black background lace on top. I have yet to find anything like it even on Queen. This same store sold over stock long prom gloves that were $30 for $4. I bought one of every colour lol
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #25
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I was just saying the other day "what am I going to do without my City Centre Fabricland" Shopper's is too far, Walmart is always a gamble (though I do love that 1.99 bin if I happen to find what I'm looking for) and BouClair *shudder* is a horrible place. it's really a last last resort.

RIP City Centre Fabricland!!! Brampton cosplayers will miss you.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #26
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
Main? That's wayyy east...all the fabric stores are on Queen street W. between Spadina and Bathurst. Some have been moving out to Dufferin as rents on Queen W. are going way up recently. King Fabrics (on Richmond Street just west of Spadina) is also a super fabulous place. And if you go further west on Queen (past Dufferin) there's Designer Fabrics (big orange sign, can't miss it) which has one of the best selections of silk, spandex, pleather and other specialty fabrics in the city.
Oh, sorry, I was referring to Brampton's Main/Queen section. ^^; I knew about all the fashion/fabric stores down in the Spadina district, it's just that getting there is a little out of my way, unless I took the subway down from school after classes.
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
gaarasbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
I was just saying the other day "what am I going to do without my City Centre Fabricland" Shopper's is too far, Walmart is always a gamble (though I do love that 1.99 bin if I happen to find what I'm looking for) and BouClair *shudder* is a horrible place. it's really a last last resort.

RIP City Centre Fabricland!!! Brampton cosplayers will miss you.

we have on at shoppers world though :P
gaarasbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
CardMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
I understand that it can be frustrating when you live in a place that has no fabric stores.....but please understand that it isn't the other stores' prices that are wrong, it's WALMART's prices that are wrong. The reason most other stores price their merchandise at a certain rate is so that they can pay their employees a decent wage, so their suppliers can make decent money, etc. The way that Walmart keeps their prices so low is that they pay their employees crap, treat them like crap (they don't allow them to unionize), and get much of their merchandise from places that ALSO pay their employees slave wages. It's like how people complain that handmade goods (like commissioned costumes) cost so much; we're all so used to how ridiculously cheap manufactured goods are that we forget they're only so cheap because the people making them are being paid almost nothing.

Walmart has been systematically killing all the local smaller stores everywhere they go, because the smaller stores cannot match those unrealistically low prices without going out of business. Please, do not support Walmart's evil business practices. Pretty soon there will be only one place to get pretty much everything, and when there's no selection, we all suffer.

I do all my fabric shopping at Fabricland or the myriad fabric stores along Queen West, and don't forget about King Fabrics on Richmond Street; they're not super cheap but every single time I've been desperately looking for a specific fabric and been unable to find it anywhere else, it's always been there. ^_^
I gonna to be honest with you Maral, I don't think that Fabric Land is a lot better that wallmarde(this is not a typo, that the way I call them). The first think they ask you is to sign a something that they will tell you that they never gonna to raise yours salary over the minimum wage... The condition are crappy, not as worse as Wallmarde, but from what I have heard and see it is pretty bad. I mean you can not get much service there they are understaff and they are pretty bad organased. And I don't think fabricland have any ethic from where they go they fabric, so I don't think that the people who are making the fabric are more well treat that the people that do the fabric for wallmarde.

However wallmarde what the better price, so they gonna to buy the cheappest stuff first of all... So that a first reason to no got there. The seconds reason is that they are running on average margin of 4-6% profit wich is less that electronics store wich is quite low by the way(10-30%). The thing is that wallmarde is have a major big bandwith of costumer, with a lot of stock, so people buy one thing, but they finish by selling a bill of 100$ for a costumer that was buying something at 20 buck. That the way they work, and it is bad. For the econnomic, for the job condition, they have the most stupide rules I ever saw. They fired some people that did have to go to the hospital beacause they lock people inside the night, you are sick or have a umergency, you go out, the alarm started and you are fired..... XD
Anyway, do waste yours time this is my first evil store on my ban list, followed by Futureshop and Best Buy( Wich are the same in case you don't know)

As for Fabric land I don't see how they where able to close a store, I mean I know that they are giving 30% of fabric discount on employe but the fact is that they must still do a lot of money even with that discount. Not to mention they 70-80% off on everything in store, wich mean that they are doing some money there too;(So I can imagine the margin are 1000% of profit on they stuff). The store that did closed must have been really not rentable at all to close or having a small population..... I mean the one in Gatineau is alway busy and they have a wallmarde not that far away.(In fact event 2)
CardMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Holy necro-post...

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

I can't stand Wal-Mart. It smells gross. I shop at Lens Mills though...
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote