Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Music Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:21 AM   #1
StereoLab
im invisible. hello!

anime con "raves"

i think its funny how once a dj plays a bunch of bad trance music in a small inclosed area with a dance floor, a dance automatically turns into a rave.

Unread 03-11-2003, 12:49 AM   #2
peaseblossom
Admiral Hardass

*lol* Never been to a rave, but I know a few actual "ravers". The con raves sound kinda funny. Like a kindergarten Kool Aid birthday cake rave--which--isn't a rave.
Unread 03-11-2003, 02:20 AM   #3
KANEDA
Civilization Virus

rave died in 1992.
I mean if you wanna know shit about underground electronic music... ASK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and another thing... FUCK TRANCE!!!!

I GOT A BASS DEGREE
IT'S MY PHD
COMPLIMENTS OF HARD BEATS UNIVERSITY
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Flexei
Trioxin Huffer

I am not going to claim to be some sort of "authority" on electronic music or "raves", but I used to go to "raves" now and then back when I was in High School/early college. For a while they were fun. The music wasn't too bad, and there really wasn't an overabundance of drug use or anything.. people were there to have a good time, listen to music, and dance. Then it seemed like more club kid, valley girl, rich bitch types started going to them. The music got worse (just House music ALL the time), and it seemed like people were there only for the drugs (and glowsticks galore for the trippy light trails). That's when I stopped going.
It seems now that the con "raves" are attempting to emulate the crappy "raves" that most people seemed to need drugs to enjoy.. but without the drugs... but they sure do have the glowsticks.
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
IdatenMiki
Dreamer...

*nods at Flexei's post* thats true.... i never really go to school dances anymore (if i do its only to hang out with friends) because they never have good music, all rap and things around that line, stuff you cant dance too. the J-rock/ J-pop rave at Anime North wasnt that bad... only i really wouldnt drink the water.... it didnt look right last year, it looked like someone might've spiked it or something. but anywho
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
KANEDA
Civilization Virus

Quote:
Originally posted by IdatenMiki
*nods at Flexei's post* thats true.... i never really go to school dances anymore (if i do its only to hang out with friends) because they never have good music, all rap and things around that line, stuff you cant dance too. the J-rock/ J-pop rave at Anime North wasnt that bad... only i really wouldnt drink the water.... it didnt look right last year, it looked like someone might've spiked it or something. but anywho

what everyone seems to overlook is that these are NOT raves...
unless they are illegal warehouse parties from the late 80's - early 90's
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Oshidori
Jesus is my homeboy!

raves were still going strong, in this city (and detroit of course), till about '97.

But what Flexei said is true, it pretty much started getting trendy, and it became all about what and how much you 'did' and what you wore. As soon as i started seeing mass produced professional flyers for parties at legitimate venues, i knew it was all over.

I miss the old days though, when you always had to be in the loop to know where everything was. It was always so much fun to find the parties too. ::sigh:: makes me feel old sometimes, especially when you see the new candy ravers walking about thinknig now is the golden age when it's already passed.

I blame MTV's AMP and Jungle for the downfall...grr ::shakes fist::

I wonder how the status of Goa parties are doing, those always surpassed the american parties, IMO

Leela: Bender, maybe you can interface with the Femputer and
reprogram it to let them go?
Bender: Maybe you can interface with my ass... by biting it!
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #8
IdatenMiki
Dreamer...

Quote:
Originally posted by KANEDA
what everyone seems to overlook is that these are NOT raves...
unless they are illegal warehouse parties from the late 80's - early 90's

*sigh* alright alright, yes i know that technically their not raves. they call it that though, so i call it that. yes, i know what a rave is i may be young but i'm not that young.
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
Flexei
Trioxin Huffer

Quote:
I miss the old days though, when you always had to be in the loop to know where everything was. It was always so much fun to find the parties too. ::sigh:: makes me feel old sometimes, especially when you see the new candy ravers walking about thinknig now is the golden age when it's already passed.
Heh.. I remember many times frantically calling trying to find out exactly where the "party" was going to be... one time getting there and finding it was moved some 2 hours away... was all part of the fun.

The last "rave" I remeber being really cool was called Tunnel
Vision in Pittsburgh, and that was 95 i think. It was actually in the Liberty Tunnels that led into Pittsburgh. The promoters apparently wrote the city and told them they were filming a movie and asked if they could have the tunnel shut down one night. Somehow it worked... granted, it wasn't the cleanest venue... but just thinking about how the hell they pulled it off and being in the tunnel was really neat and really weird.
Unread 03-12-2003, 01:08 AM   #10
Oshidori
Jesus is my homeboy!

here we would have the Brooklyn vs detroit parties, under the brooklyn bridge...those were my favorite!

Or one called April Foolz...you had to figure out puzzles to get to that one!! I remember one year when we called the hotline, it made it as if it was a joke and you just got a recording of someone laughing at you and calling you a sucker and the sound of a 'click' as if the thing automatically diconnected. After a few hundred or so tries, we realized the click was just a sound effect, stayed on the line, and then a full 5 minutes later heard another recording, this time only a short clip of that Bel Biv Devoe song 'Poison'. Lucky for us, i remembered somewhere around Cypress Hills Brooklyn that there are 3 streets, Bell St, Beve St, and Devoe Sts (i don't even think Beve even exists anymore) that were tiny streets that were parallel to each other, but across from them merged into one street, since the streets were only no more than half a block long (more like an alley) and created a sort of 3-pronged fork in the road. When we go there, on the abandoned building that was the merging point of the fork there was a peice thrown up by Tischer i think at the time that looked newer than all the other peices, that actually had the directions of the party's actual location *in* the peice (only a few blocks away at an old armory) We didn't get to that party till about 3 am, but it was soo worth it and so much fun just to look for it.

::snif:: aww the good ol' days...

Leela: Bender, maybe you can interface with the Femputer and
reprogram it to let them go?
Bender: Maybe you can interface with my ass... by biting it!
Unread 03-12-2003, 01:15 AM   #11
KANEDA
Civilization Virus

Quote:
Originally posted by Oshidori
raves were still going strong, in this city (and detroit of course), till about '97.

But what Flexei said is true, it pretty much started getting trendy, and it became all about what and how much you 'did' and what you wore. As soon as i started seeing mass produced professional flyers for parties at legitimate venues, i knew it was all over.

I blame MTV's AMP and Jungle for the downfall...grr ::shakes fist::

I wonder how the status of Goa parties are doing, those always surpassed the american parties, IMO

hmmm ...by '97 though that music was pretty dead.
things had evolved wayyyy beyond it.

annnnd...
how can you blame jungle? jungle was totally seperate for the most part. and it has been around since 92 -93 anyways....

plus even if jungle did destroy it.. that's a good thing.
something new has to come along and kill the old.
only when the old has died, the new will have a chance to be born.

Last edited by Maryssa : 03-18-2003 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 03-12-2003, 01:48 AM   #12
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

how dare this "rave" and "electronic" music move from the underground! how DARE it get popular! The second it got semi-popular, and more people knew what it was, it died. Just like real rock-n-roll and real punk and real hard rock. Dead. But i was a part of it all, so that means i'm "hardcore".

^.~ raves always go on in my town, but i hear about them the day after >.<

As for anime "raves" or "dances", at animazement they play crap anime theme remixes and some semi-good ddr music on someone's computer hooked up to speakers. it kind of sucks. If the music *was* techno or trance, then i'd be happy ^_^
Unread 03-12-2003, 02:04 AM   #13
KANEDA
Civilization Virus

you dunno what you're talking about... so. yeah...
Unread 03-12-2003, 02:10 AM   #14
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

who says you do? :P
Music, especially popular music, is all about opinion and what effects you.
Since I probably know a hell of a lot more about Hello! project than you do, does that make me an authority on Japanese music? hell no, i can't even pronounce some of those names ^^
Unread 03-12-2003, 03:05 AM   #15
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

rave n.
3. An all-night dance party, especially one where techno, house, or other electronically synthesized music is played.

...yes? ^_^;

I barely go to anime con dances anyway. @_x Never been my thing, unless I'm in the mood, which was.. once or twice. ^^;

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Closed Thread