Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 08-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Lightbulb BGC Hardsuit

I am seriously considering contructing Sylia's harsuit from Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. I'm going to use the techniques given by Erin in her fiberglassing thread, but I was just wondering if anyone else has anything to comment about. If any of you have pictures of Sylia (in her hardsuit) in a good frontal view, please send me the link! BGC: Tokyo 2040 pictures are pretty hard to find these days. Also, if you have found any pictures of people in a completed hardsuit (not sure if any exist, but just asking!) please send me the link to those also. I would like to see how someone, if anyone, has made one. Thanks!

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

that...would be Blair's area. is he here?
Blair was the BGC boomer in the AX masquerade.
Unread 08-07-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
ElfEater

Oh you know the guy who made that costume? That costume was -so- awesome! How did he do it?
Unread 08-07-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

When they were announcing the award, they said that he'd used existing pieces of plastic; I was on the aisle and he walked right past me, that's what it looked like, all kinds of bowls and plates and stuff. But I could be wrong.

Check here under stormtrooper, instructions for vacuumforming plastic - http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/

I'm going to be digging around extensively re: armor for two costumes I'm working on, I'll post with whatever I find out. ^^

BTW - regardless of how he did it - he looked freakin' awesome. OO

Last edited by Ayaka : 08-07-2002 at 10:12 PM.
Ayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Wow, someone was a boomer? NEATO! *hehe* I'm such a dork. But yeah, I'll make the actualy suit out of fiberglass 'cause the vacuuforming looks like it would take too long and cost money i dont have *sweatdrop*. I also want it to be really sturdy, and not floppy plastic. Thanks for the idea anyways, Ayaka! Perhaps I'll try vacuuforming at some other point.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Unread 08-08-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
Foxwolfe
To be announced...

What makes you think that vacuuforming leaves the plastic floppy? I have yet to see a stormtrooper with floppy armor heh. Personally Ill be using vacuuforming as opposed to fiberglass for the armor Im doing just because it seems alot simpler in my eyes. Only part that seems like it would take any time would be the making of the molds, although depending on what your doing affects which method might be easier.
Foxwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 03:01 AM   #7
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

I was sitting in the corner nearby where blair was having a friend help him "suit up" He was saying he used a lot of tv dinner trays. that he painted blue He cut the different sized and shape trays out into the shapes he needed and basically there were loops of some sort and he used zipties to attach the pieces together. It looked really cool seeing him put the pieces on little by little. Oh yeah i heard he had a special feature in his body suit he wore underneath the blue plastic. he put a zipper for easy bathroom access now that's a clever idea ^_~ that way he didnt have to struggle to get it off when he had to go.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 02:20 PM   #8
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

Quote:
Only part that seems like it would take any time would be the making of the molds, although depending on what your doing affects which method might be easier.
Actually, it would be easier to do the vaccuforming because all you need to do is make a positive (just pretty much a carving or sculpture of the shape you want.) With fiberglass, you'd have to make the positive, then use it to make a mold to put the fiberglass into.

http://www.bioweapons.com/

This site might have some help.

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #9
Foxwolfe
To be announced...

Well thats good, because like I said, Ill be using vacuuforming as opposed to fiberglassing.
Foxwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 12:36 AM   #10
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Cool!!!! I wanted to do BGC from the OAV.. I wanted to do Nene's and round up four other girls to try and work on it for the future.,... but I had no other way to go about it either.

Unread 08-09-2002, 09:37 AM   #11
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

I think once I get a body cast done of myself it shouldn't be too hard. Make the base pieces out of wire mesh and then do 1 coat of plaster bandanges or paper mache for rigidity (so the wire doesn't flop around), then fiberglass over all that. I think the helmet and the lower leg pieces are going to give me the most trouble - making the shoes into the leg pieces?! I think I'm going to end up cutting apart the shoes I used for my Hikaru outfit (the soles would work perfect for the hardsuit shoes). and then fiberglass over them. Put foam edging on the insides, and viola. Hehe.

{ I N L U M I N O }