Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-08-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

The decline in cosplay interest?

I just got back from Otakon and after being to both Anime Boston and Otakon I've noticed the interest in cosplay going down. Not the interest in cosplayING, but in cosplayERS. I remember cosplaying as Baralai from FF10-2 on '04 and being swamped for pictures. Now, even as an undercosplayed Naruto character I got 2 pictures all of Otakon (my friends and I were the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Hokages). I looked around and barely saw cameras flashing, and overheard many people say things like "Oh, I'd get a picture of her if I felt like getting up." I even found myself thinking/saying things along those lines. I've taken less and less pictures every con I've been to, and I see less and less pictures online afterward as well.

Also, I'd never not gotten my picture taken at least once. At Otakon this year I was able to say that about two costumes. I'm not trying to say that if people don't want a picture of me then OMG THERE MUST BE A PROBLEM, don't worry. I'm just using myself as an EXAMPLE!!

Has anyone else seen this? Are you reading this and thinking me to be crazy? Anyone else share the feeling that people are just waiting for the photoshoot?

Anime Next
Catelyn Stark - Game of Thrones
Narcissa Malfoy - Harry Potter

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2
Sonia Nevermind - Dangan Ronpa 2
Miranda Lawson (DLC Armor) - Mass Effect

Dragon*Con
Lady Stoneheart - Game of Thrones
Rogue Champion Hawke - Dragon Age 2

Last edited by MagentaFox : 08-08-2006 at 12:02 PM.
MagentaFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
ArchFaith
Daughter of Alderaan

Hmmm....

I think that perhaps the reason you didn't get your picture taken too much was because Naruto is an extemely popular show...Naruto cosplayers have been at it for like 2 years now, and the show is considered one of the most popular to cosplay from. Maybe you got a lot of pics as Baralai because FFX-2 was new at the time, and Baralai is very detailed in his costume.

Nowadays, only an insane amount of people will take your picture if your costume is intricately detailed, huge, or looks just OHMYGOD magnificent. I think the rest of us just have to rely on the few people who do take our photos. After all, Otakon was a huge con ( I was there!) so it's possible people who would have wanted to take your photo just didn't see you.
Conventions Attended | Shoujocon 2002 | Big Apple Anime Fest 2003 | Anime Next 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013 | I-Con 2005 | Katsucon 2006, 2007 | Otakon 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 | Star Wars Celebration 2007 | New York Anime Fest 2007, 2008 | Wizard World Philadelphia 2008 | New York Comic Con 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 | PAX East 2010, 2011, 2012 | SpringFest 2012 | Castle Point Anime Con 2012 | PAX Prime 2012
This year: AnimeNext 2013 - Otakon 2013 - NYCC 2013
ArchFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #3
Technetium
Radioactively Delicious

Maybe it's just certain regions or conventions? I go to Fanime every year, and there is always a ton of cosplay photography happening. Even the less popular characters and original characters get attention. The fountain outside the convention center is like a paradise for cosplayers and photographers. If you're in costume, you can practically gaurantee you'll get photo requests. If you're a photographer, you'll practically never run out of subjects..
Technetium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Ironekilz

I noticed that too, MagentaFox. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the fanbase is getting younger and might only have watched anime that has been shown on tv or heavily promoted fansubs (ie: Bleach)? The Naruto character you cosplayed, did he/she show up on tv yet, or was it a character that appears later on in the series? I got stopped for very few pictures the entire con myself. My group and I were dressed as Sakura Taisen characters. Of the people who stopped us, it seemed like they were slightly older, maybe in their twenties, so this could support my theory.
Unread 08-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

I think there are other factors to consider as well. I wandered in costume Friday with my friends (who were not in costume) and got a decent amount of photos, with only a quarter of the people knowing who Cutey Honey is (very Old Skool). When we wandered as our Street Fighter group both Saturday and Sunday, we got lots of ops. Especially when we did fight/kick poses. Anything different from the usual group pose got tons of attention (my legs are still feeling it from holding kicks up and stances down deep).
Anyway, I think if you're wandering with a group of similar characters, you tend to get more photo ops than when you're a solo character of a series. I also agree with the earlier comments that you get less photos taken when you're wearing something that's from an extremely popular series that is cosplayed a LOT. It seemed that everywhere I turned there was Naruto, followed closely by Kindom Hearts and Bleach.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

My g/f and I got utterly swamped at Anime Boston, LOL so I don't think the interest is dying down.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

I understand that some people were photgraphed a lot, but the amount of people able to say that, I feel, is declining. I think everyone is just "waiting for the photoshoot." You know what I mean?

Anime Next

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2

Dragon*Con
Unread 08-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I think it has more to do with the location, the type of costume, the size of the convention and to a degree, whether or not you're with a group of people from the same series then a lack of interest in cosplayers or in photography. I'm constantly finding the larger the con the less people take or even ask to take pictures in general. Example, a friend and I wore our Sukisho costumes to two different sized conventions. Sukisho supposedly has a decent sized fanbase though I don't really see it. At Anime Detour we got lots of pics taken and we were the only Sukisho costumes there but at Anime Central (the largest midwest con) I can only think of one person who took pics of the costumes and that was Eurobeat King. I heard a few people say 'oh look Sora and Sunao' but they didn't ask for pics or even stop us.
Unread 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDragon76
I think it has more to do with the location, the type of costume, the size of the convention and to a degree, whether or not you're with a group of people from the same series then a lack of interest in cosplayers or in photography. I'm constantly finding the larger the con the less people take or even ask to take pictures in general. Example, a friend and I wore our Sukisho costumes to two different sized conventions. Sukisho supposedly has a decent sized fanbase though I don't really see it. At Anime Detour we got lots of pics taken and we were the only Sukisho costumes there but at Anime Central (the largest midwest con) I can only think of one person who took pics of the costumes and that was Eurobeat King. I heard a few people say 'oh look Sora and Sunao' but they didn't ask for pics or even stop us.
I agree. In a Raito, L, Misa group at Connecticon I got over 20 pictures of me taken. At Otakon, literally 2.

Anime Next

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2

Dragon*Con
Unread 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
feytaline

I actually feel that there were less COSPLAYERS at Otakon this year than in previous--at least in amazing costumes. I didn't take very many pictures this year because frankly, a lot of the costumes just didn't grab my eye--many were poorly made with obvious stitching, no hems, no wigs, etc. I'm sure there were reasons for this--I'm not the type to turn my nose up at someone starting to cosplay for the first time, or too poor to afford anything better--but it's not exactly what I want a picture of, either.

Seriously, though, you shouldn't count the number of pictures taken of you as an obscure character, even at Otakon as "OMG cosplay is declining!" At Katsucon, I had 0 pictures taken of me as three different characters on all three days. (Of course, due to Katsucon's OMG NO PHOTOS policy, that might not have been a good example.) However, I come onto this forum, I go to other con's forums, and cosplay is still alive and thriving.

So think about what you might have been doing to miss photographers. Were you hanging out in the fountain room with the great lighting, where all the photographers mob? Were you taking pictures yourself, or having people take pictures of you? I find that if you strike a pose and one camera snaps, if the character is popular enough, lots of other snaps follow! Also, if someone in cosplay takes my picture, I automatically ask for thiers.

Another reason why I didn't take too many pictures is because, sadly, my shyness is returning. I get nervous asking people nowadays, and I really can't tell you why. I think that other people suffer from this--I heard some people saying things about cosplayers like "well, I don't want to bother her" or "He looks so comfy, I'll come back later." So I'd advise you to be up and available, even if it is more comfortable to sit, if you're really looking for photos.

And also, because I'm sure someone else is going to put it, do you cosplay only for photos? That's not a very good reason. You should do it because you enjoy it first and foremost, even though it's okay to love getting your picture taken. If you're really concerned that there aren't that many photographers, why not arrange for a private photoshoot? There are several websites that do them for free, and you'll find the quality of photos can be much better. Also, when someone with a fancy camera is taking pictures of you, many other people jump in on the fun (this could be the pose thing I mentioned earlier.)

Hope that helps a bit.
Unread 08-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
ZiplocNinja
kimo

I got quite a few pictures at my first con, AnimeNorth, but I think it was just basically people going 'OMG LOOK A CUTE LITTLE COSPLAYER!!! ^_^'
Not that I'm very little T_T... *insulted*

But. Everything seems normal to me.
ZiplocNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Um... I was only using myself as an example. I stated other things. I noticed less pictures in galleries and heard people saying things like "I just don't feel like getting up." Please take those into consideration before you semi-call me conceited.

Anime Next

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2

Dragon*Con
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
ilikeyaoi
+SORGASM+

I don't think it's declining at all, I was at Anime Boston and I had plenty of pictures taken (Except for one costume, but that was a very little known one). I think people are more likely to flock towards something shiny and new that just came out, too. For example: Kingdom Hearts.

I wore my Sora (Original game) to Anime Next this year and there were a ton of other KH-er's. I could barely get through the convention due to pictures, and God forbid one person wanted a picture, then everyone else did. I do agree with Feytaline; one camera snaps and so do the rest.

But does anyone notice the sudden decrease in politeness? It seems that less photographers ASK for pictures, and more people step in the middle of photos. Maybe it's just me.
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
Arlette
Let it Go

Otakon is a strange animal. While there are thousands of people and you'd think more pictures would be taken, sometimes it's an inconvenience to do so because of the mobs of people. With my first costume on Friday I never got asked for pictures and luckily I had my husband take a couple for me on our camera, because I was hot and wanted to change soon. But if I had found my other friends who were cosplaying from the series and who went to the photoshoot, it would have been a different story. You may have a point in that many people probably wait for the big photoshoots, because when big groups are together people flock to them. Even when I was with my smaller .hack//GU group going around the BCC looking for places to take photos, people were stopping us. I guess it's more noticeable when a bunch of brightly colored people are doing poses together or something. XD My husband, best friend and I got a decent amount of pics even in our BLEACH costumes, which is getting overcosplayed now. I'd like to think it was because we chose versions of the characters that were slightly more unique, and because we did a good job on the costumes.

So, really, there are a lot of factors at work, especially at Otakon. But I don't think cosplayers are dying out. ^_^ And there will always be photographers like Eurobeat, Lionel, and Kevin Lillard busy snapping away.

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Plushkittie

This year's Otakon was my first, but I'd have to agree with feytaline and MagentaFox, I didn't see as many cosplays as I'd have hoped for such a big convention. Most people were dressed in black Hot Topic-esque outfits, with kitty ears or something. Compared to Animazement this year, there was a lot less cosplay at Otakon in comparison to the amount of people.

But I will also say that the bigger/flashier the cosplay or cosplay group is, (obviously) the more attention you will get.
Plushkittie is offline   Reply With Quote