Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
baku_neko
go go devil bats!

Crayola Model Magic

For those who have used it: I was wondering just how sturdy does this stuff get after it dries?

I was thinking about using it for a sword hilt and was going to paint it and seal it after it dried.

ANIMEFEST 2009
================
Lambo (15 YR. OLD) - Reborn! - 100%
Kira Yamato - Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - 0%
Setsuna F. Seiei - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - 0%
Cody Hackins - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 0%

member of *SNAP* cosplay
baku_neko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Cypher2b

Not that sturdy. Don't do it. It stays rather soft and light. I was trying a poison elves costume and had made my ears out of it. I figured that they would be light enough to glue to my head. THAT worked, but I brushed the bathroom doorframe, and the ear snapped like pocky.

Don't get me wrong, It is alright for masks and a few other things, but not for a sword hilt.

Last edited by Cypher2b : 08-08-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Cypher2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

It's not horribly sturdy, a good hit would probably snap it . I wouldn't use it as a structural element as it flexes and would crack if you tried to make it bear weight, but its incredibly useful for detail works and things that need a little flex. (Frost's mask - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=798429 and Sailor Moon's brooch and Tiara - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=797973 are both MM because they needed to be lightweight)
Unread 08-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
baku_neko
go go devil bats!

What would you suggest then?

I'm using one of those practice wooden katatas as the base for the katana. I need something I can slide down on the sword.

ANIMEFEST 2009
================
Lambo (15 YR. OLD) - Reborn! - 100%
Kira Yamato - Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - 0%
Setsuna F. Seiei - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - 0%
Cody Hackins - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 0%

member of *SNAP* cosplay
baku_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
LaPetiteSalope
I approve.

I love model magic! I'd seriously die without it.
But I wouldn't suggest it for making a katata cover though....

For something sturdier I'd go for Paperclay. Yeah, it may be a bit pricey (around 5 bucks a bag) but thats your best bet. Its easy to work with and it also air dries. The only con about paperclay is that it cracks easily when it dries.
LaPetiteSalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Dont use it for anything that sticks out. I used it for the pyramids on my armor, and brushing against a wall at times would rip the top off them.

Is that paperclay or celluclay you are talking about for 5 bucks a bag?
Unknowbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Jersey13

The strongest stuff you can get that works like clay and isn't super heavy is Magic-Sculp. It's a bit expensive, but it's VERY strong. If you aren't going to use fiberglass, I would guess that this is the next best thing. I get it from The Compleat Sculptor. The application would still probably need to be fairly thick to retain a lot of durability, though.

I made a sword out of foam covered in something similar. It broke in three different places before I coated it, and broke in only one place after I coated it. The blade was covered pretty thickly, which made it a bit heavier and put stress at the point where the handle was joined to the blade. It snapped right there where the blade met the hilt. I re-attached it with epoxy and it seems to be holding, but it makes me VERY worried about trying to swing it around or if it's abused at all. I'm thinking about ordering some glass fabric and putting a layer on over top. IMHO, it's just not a good sword if it can't take at least a little abuse while swinging it around.

Last edited by Jersey13 : 08-09-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Jersey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Jen-neko
Lord Cynic Almighty

I don't like the consistency of Model Magic. I made my Dragonquest 8 Jessica hairpieces out of it, and actually ripped one of them while trying to put it on over the rubber band x_X.

Paperclay is fairly durable. I've made some smaller props out of it (Utena duelist rings), and they held up to normal wear. And it is indeed $5 for a package of the stuff (I just paid $5.29 for an 8 oz package). I like paperclay because it's sandable (things like sculpey aren't, really), so you can smooth it out even more after it dries. And, if it does crack, you can fill in the cracks with more paperclay. I also like to cover my props in gesso before I paint them; it seems to help.

Last edited by Jen-neko : 08-10-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Jen-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Suzaku7NoMiko

Theres also a modeling clay called Sculpey that you actually put in the oven to bake and harden, which is very strong. You can find it in Michael's crafts store, and im sure other places like that. It comes in lots of colors too.
Suzaku7NoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
LizardMandy

If you're sculpting anything that's going to stick out, don't do it purely out of Model Magic OR Sculpey Clay.

Build a base for it first out of something sturdy, I've used Model Magic over wooden and duralite (dense styrofoam) for sword hilts before and it works fairly well. Just remember not to wrap it too tightly around your base because it contracts as it dries and it'll crack.

Sculpey gets heavy and very brittle in large quantities, you'd have about the same breakage problems with it if you don't have a structural support inside. If you're going sculpey, use tin foil because you can bake that.
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
agent_airline

would Magic-Sculp work for armor?
Unread 07-02-2009, 03:56 AM   #12
Javakat343
Lazy Cosplayer

Like it has been said before:

Model magic is lightweight and great for detail work that:
1. Doesn't need to hold weight (supported by something else)
2. Is not super fragile (no thin spikes that stick out and will get broken off it you hit them)

I wanna be a monster! They get all the attention!

Last edited by Javakat343 : 07-02-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Javakat343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I also like to point out it's not sandable.
Highly recommend Paperclay even if the small bag runs $10 a pop up here. T_T

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 07-02-2009 at 09:10 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
sakuralove

Quote:
Originally Posted by baku_neko View Post
For those who have used it: I was wondering just how sturdy does this stuff get after it dries?

I was thinking about using it for a sword hilt and was going to paint it and seal it after it dried.
its like high thickness foam. think house insulation in a can. still if you coat it enough and the blade isnt to heavy it should be fine.
sakuralove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Nahh, don't use it. Model Magic is better for shaping things that need to be a single piece, for best results things that are like a big blob shape- for example, I used it for armor wrist/neck guard pieces that were very simply shaped. But I wouldn't use it for any kind of detailing, and it's not going to paint and seal well. I love Model Magic to death but it's a fickle medium and doesn't adapt well to things it isn't suited for.

Agreeing with everyone else here- paperclay!
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote