Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Yaoi-Con

Unread 08-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Wind
... im geting there

is Yaoi con worth going to?

Hi, I never been to yaoi con but I am thinking about going. I only been to Fanime and Anime Overdose so my knowledge on Cons are a bit limited.

Just wondering is Yaoi con big? and how does it compare to the other Cons.

Thanks
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

read Karisu-sama's FAQ thread on Yaoicon:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=19577

I personally enjoy going each year, as it gets better every single time. It also isn't too large and hectic and gives me a chance to cosplay more of my costumes, which I normally don't get to do at other larger cons.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Wind
... im geting there

yea, I already saw that that thread. It starts out good but then goes in to GG yaoi stuff..... LOL, the reason I would be going is for "straight men B" but I was hoping Yaoi Con would be bigger than AOD. One day at AOD was a bit of a tease.
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

YaoiCon is fairly small by most standards. I actually found it to be a bit of a letdown, after coming across the country for it, but I may give it another chance in the future in case it was just an off year or I didn't know who to talk to to find out where the "fun" was going on.

It wasn't worth the over $400 I spent just to get there, that was for sure. And I'm a yaoi fangirl to the max - I don't know how much a straight guy without much interest in yaoi will enjoy it. It's very niche-specific.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Wind
... im geting there

ah i see.... hmm. thanks for the info
Unread 08-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Leishu

While Yaoi-con is fairly small, it's also significantly larger than AOD. The dealers' room is of similar size (with some of the same dealers, even) but the Swap Meet and art auctions are of far superior quality (especially since the latter is nonexistant at AOD).

Bottom-Line: If you go, go for the con and the people. I seriously wouldn't reccomend going if you don't like Yaoi, though, as there's a lot of it there.

The TransFlexual

How flexy are you?

http://www.quizilla.com/users/Draigo...20are%20you%3F
Leishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Northern
Master in the field

Im giving Yaoi-con a shot this year for the cosplay and the fact it is all aboard yaoi, comeon, what could be better then that? Though if you want to go to a con that will overdose your senses and blow your mind...go to Otakon next year. I was there the entire time and still didnt see everything, there was just too much to do.

I think with Yaoi con you have to just goin in on the fun, generally speaking, I find cosplayers very friendly people who are always willing to let a new person into their circle o friends. The biggest advice I can give you for a larger convention actually comes from my grandfather. "you have a mouth and a voice, use it." Basically he means, when in doubt, ask somebody where to go, or if you can join in. Its the best way. ^.^

Hope to see you all there, and hey...Ill be cosplaying as Youji from Weib Kreuz, Count D from petshop of horrors and Krad from DNAngel (possibly...depending on if the wings make it on the plane or not). If you see me around, ide be happy to hang out. ^.^

Cheers,
Northern

Anime North 2012
Friday: Toothless Hoodie
Saturday: Millitary Lolita
Sunday: Soubi- Loveless

youji_kudou_@hotmail.com
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
videogamefanboy
The one and only

Yaoi con is a lot of fun and yes I am straight. I have been going for the past 2 years and am going again this year. The enviroment is great and some of the best parties I have been to are at yaoi con. However there is as Leishu said a lot of yaoi at the con. I highly recomend yaoi con it is my favorite.
Unread 08-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
Jujubeans
Constantly tired.

All of my friends including my hubby are all straight. They are also confortable enough with their sexuality that they can just treat YC as any normal convention. :] Leishu is one of the straightest guys you'll meet in a frilly pink dress and vgfb is cool enough to let guys rub up his leg for nickels. Just go for the experience.
Unread 08-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
blackfruitbat
Must've been my evil twin

I went for the first time last year, and in my opinion it was definitely worth it. It was nicely sized: not too big and not too small. In fact, I think it was the most comfortably sized con I have been to yet (the only lines I had to wait on were for seating in the main event room, which didn't take too long). Plus, the events (masquerade, auction, etc.) were really fun to watch. And as other's have mentioned, you sure don't have to go only because you like yaoi, but it is everywhere. XD
blackfruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
Leishu

"One of the straightest guys you'll meet in a frilly pink dress."

Wow... I.... errr...

o_O

What exactly does that mean? Lol.

Ah, well. I'll take it as a compliment ^_^

The TransFlexual

How flexy are you?

http://www.quizilla.com/users/Draigo...20are%20you%3F
Leishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Last year was my first year as well (Leishu, I swear you look familiar. Might've taken the tram together or something) and the only other conventions I've ever been to are Comic Con and Anime Expo. Hello, over 41,000 people. Nice to meet you all.
But Y-con I thoroughly enjoyed regardless. Despite the obvious bias of Yaoi, the people were some of the most fantastic sort I have ever met, and it was just excess fun everywhere. Though if you're insecure, as has been mentioned, might want to stay with the more genre-unspecific conventions. We are not subtle people :>
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #13
Mr. Wendell
THWAP!!!

I go for the Long Island Iced Teas.
Emcee, Japan Center Anime Fair '11-'12
Emcee, Northern California Cosplay Picnic '08, '10
Host with the Most, The Mr. Wendell Show, Tales of Anime '07
Emcee, Japan Town Anime Faire '05-'07
Host with the Most, The RECCA Show with Mr. Wendell, RECCA Con '05
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)
Mr. Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote