Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Unread 08-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
EXsoldierSNAKE

Membership badges??

I'm a little confused about what these are. Do you have to have one to get into the con? I've never been to one before, so i really dont know.

Also, are there gonna be any Metal Gear Solid cosplayers from here coming to this con? I might be considering going, and it would be fun to meet up there with you guys.

Unread 08-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
hyperperson
Psycho is as Psycho does

You don't have to have one technically to get into the con. You can walk around the artists alley or just around the hotel without one but if you want to get into the dealer's room, panals, video rooms, costume contest, etc. you need one. You can preregister online or you can buy one at the door for a few bucks extra. You can preregister in groups for less too. All the info you need is on their site. ^^
www.awa-con.com
hyperperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
YunaLenne
Next Con : AWA 2011!

This will be my first con too.All they basically are is badges that you wear to show that you have paid the admission fee. (At least that is my guess) So I would think that you would have to wear them the whole time.You can purchase them at the con or online at AWA's website.If you need any help,just pm me & I will tell you how to get the membership online.I just ordered mine a couple of days ago.Hope this helps!Have fun at the con ^_^

AWA 2010:
Kairi ~ Kingdom Hearts 2
YunaLenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
YunaLenne
Next Con : AWA 2011!

Sorry for the double post >.< Stupid computer isn't working right

AWA 2010:
Kairi ~ Kingdom Hearts 2
YunaLenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
Venus Knight
Generic Catboy

I wondered the same thing last year when it was my first time.
The card that is sent to you isn't your real con badge, it's your conformation. You take it to the reg line when you get there and they give you your badge. Oh, and the names are reverse on your badge. It shows your nick-name in big letters and your real name in small letters.
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
EXsoldierSNAKE

Ok thanks, i appreciate the help I'm still not sure if I'm going or not. Since I probably cant go to dragon this year, Id really like to go to this one
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
hyperperson
Psycho is as Psycho does

AWA is quite different from Dragon Con. While Dragon Con is focused majorily on Sci-fi etc. AWA is focused mainly on anime, jrock, jpop, etc. AWA is also much smaller than Dragon Con but in my opinion it's more friendly. ^^
hyperperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #8
Venus Knight
Generic Catboy

EXsoldierSNAKE I almost forgot to mention there were a few solid snake there last year including a snake in the box. Hope you get to come it was great last year.
Unread 08-13-2006, 01:21 AM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Please keep this thread on-topic and discuss what the title of the thread is asking, which is "membership badges." If you wish to make a new thread about Metal Gear Solid cosplayers at AWA, go ahead and do so.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
missXcrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King
Please keep this thread on-topic and discuss what the title of the thread is asking, which is "membership badges." If you wish to make a new thread about Metal Gear Solid cosplayers at AWA, go ahead and do so.
Er..EXsoldierSnake did asked about whether or not there would be any MGS cosplayers attending in the same post.
Soooo..
^^; wouldn't Venus_Knights comment be somewhat relevant?

N'eway, Here's the badge price listing for this year. (Walk-ins)
1 Day ( Friday, Saturday, or Sunday ) - $25
2 Days ( Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday ) - $35
3 Days ( Friday through Sunday )- $45
missXcrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
Amechan
Dancing in the Rain

Basically, the only thing you really need a badge for is the Dealer's room. That's the only place that security really checks to see your Badge. I've had friends who've lost their badges but kept walking around the rest of the day. Generally if you lose your badge, you can ask for a replacement, but the replacement has been dubbed the "Baka Badge" (that's what the badge says). Anywho, AWA may have changed their security policies... but what I said is how's it's been the last 3 years I've been going.
Amechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
Jemmeh
Freak in a Jar

Just a note:
If you're pre-ordering your membership online, and it's been since they had RegOnline, you need to print out your reciept.
They don't send confrimation letters anymore.
You bring the receipt to the con, and there's a line you stand in to get your actual badge that you have to wear around the entire time.

If you're with a group that registered together, the entire group has to be there to get all the badges.

EDIT: The only place you can really go without a badge is the artist's alley...it's hard to get into the cool events without a badge. ><

Upcoming Conventions:
Momocon 2013 <3 -- No cosplay planned yet! o;
Jemmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
Venus Knight
Generic Catboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amechan
...but the replacement has been dubbed the "Baka Badge" (that's what the badge says).
This is the first I've heard of the "baka badge", but think it's a great idea to encourge people to keep track of their badges. lol.
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
sweet_magic
Wind User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmeh
If you're with a group that registered together, the entire group has to be there to get all the badges.
So you must have every member there or you cannot recieve them? o.O; I'm kinda worried about this now since two of the people in my group will be attending Friday-Sunday, whereas the rest of the group will only be going Sat. and Sun.

I'm gonna have to hop onto the AWA forums now.
My Cosplay Media Group
Facebook- Project Kaleidoscope
DeviantArt- Project Kaleidoscope
sweet_magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
JasonMerrill
AWA Event Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amechan
Basically, the only thing you really need a badge for is the Dealer's room. That's the only place that security really checks to see your Badge. I've had friends who've lost their badges but kept walking around the rest of the day. Generally if you lose your badge, you can ask for a replacement, but the replacement has been dubbed the "Baka Badge" (that's what the badge says). Anywho, AWA may have changed their security policies... but what I said is how's it's been the last 3 years I've been going.
We are going to be a lot tougher on those without badges this year. I'd say a good 75% of the trouble we run into comes from what could be politely called "gatecrashers". There are those who will abuse the fact that a lot of the open areas (like Artist's Alley) can be reached without showing a badge. We may have to institute a "badge or Hotel key" policy at night.

That being said... we do allow attendance at the Ball without an AWA badge. You still have to be dressed formally AND have purchased a Ball ticket (available at the door).

And in answer to the previous question: the whole group does not have to be there to get the badges.

Jason Merrill

Special Events Director
Anime Weekend Atlanta, Sept. 22-24 2006
www.awa-con.com
cosplay@awa-con.com
awa@jasonmerrill.com
JasonMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote