Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy / Kingdom Hearts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
TinaYosh

Sora Cosplay

I am very new to cosplaying, and I plan to make Sora from KH2 my first cosplay, haha I know what a great costume for a beginner to start off with, but I feel up to the challenge, I want to make it as perfect as I possibly can XD

I don't know anything about sewing either, which is also quite helpful XD
Does anyone know any good online tutorials on sewing? My mom use to sew but I'm not going to realy on that to help me. Tutorials with pictures would be most helpful, or at least a detailed turtorial.

EDIT: Here's my main reference picture I'm using, but I'm using many others as well http://www.khinsider.com/gallery/data/media/34/010.jpg

Now more questions, yay!

Pants:
What type of fabric/other materials would be best, I'm looking for something that gives it that more bubble effect at the end like in the game, but most cosplays of Sora done I see just appear to look like regular flat all the way down pants, and I really don't want mine to look like that. This is one of the best examples of his pants I've seen, I want something that looks along the lines theirs: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=244511
I've also seen people use jeans to, I hate wearing jeans, I hate wearing denim, its the most unconfortable thing for me to wear. so I won't even consider that o.o
Have any helpful tips on how to do them?
And do you know what place(s) I'd possibly be able to find it besides online?

The Yellow Straps:
What is a good make to make them of? And what do I use to make the silver, whatever you call thems?
And do you know what place(s) I'd possibly be able to find it?

Jacket:
Again what type of fabric would be best? It needs to be thin to semi thin material, because I'm not real comfy in jackets that are more than I'm guessing 1-3cm's

Shoulder things:
What would be a good thing to make them out of, I see most people make them out of some fabric, is it easyer that way or something, because I see it being more in a shiny/silvery not fabricy look, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong?

Shirt:
What type of fabric would be best?

Golves:
Umm where can I find something like those silver things? And than I can't really tell but is the blue on his glove material or some kind of plastic or something else?

Shoes:
I'm not really sure what to ask about the shoes, all I can say is I want them as simler to Sora's shoes as possible.

Kingdom Key Keyblade:
So I'm assuming I'm using a pipe for the base, and then I was thinking about using some type of foam and spray paiting it silver, but then would it match the pipe?
The yellow nof the handle scares me a bit, because I'm not sure about how to shape it, and if I should use plastic or metal, I see metal as being hard to get through, and plastic as looking all scratchy if I knew what to do to cut it.
What materials would be good for the little blue section and the black part of the handle.
And then How do I put this keyblade together, and how do I attach the silver Mickey key chain?
Do you know what I should use and where I'd possibly be able to find it besides online?

Oh man that was long, I'm so sorry, I probly sound like an idiot X_X
I've been thinking about this costume for quite awhile, and I'm just clueless on how to do it and what to use, because I have no experiance, Thanks for any and all help, all help will mean the world to me.

Last edited by TinaYosh : 08-16-2006 at 12:40 AM.

Unread 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
ZoraLink
Howdy!

I won't give you an in-depth tutorial, haha, but I will say do a lot of research. I'm not the most eperienced cosplayer, but I did tons of reaearch. I looked at others cosplays, I looked at prop/weapon construction tutorials, took some sewing lessons, looked up some sewing tips....I'm sure lots of experienced people are more than welcome to help ya out, but trust yourself. Really look at the photos you have and decide what material it looks like, or what the character might feel comfortable in. Sora probably won't be wearing silk ;P

Good for you for wanting to take on such a project. It's daring and you'll learn a lot. Butas I said research. I've seen tips on sora's shoes......they don't look easy XP. Sorry I'm not THAT much, but I'd thought I'd give a few quick tips.

p.s.
remember to bookmark/save the good websites you see, you'll want to see'em again sometime I bet
Unread 08-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
darknessorlight
A world that's not my own

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusTUkO....php%3ft=50530 This website should tell you a little about how to make the kingdom key but it is wood.(sorry)Good Luck though! I will see what else I can find for you.

Last edited by darknessorlight : 08-15-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Unread 08-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
X affinity
destinys.affinity

Firstly, you should put a refrence picture of Sora up here, so people who don't know exactly what he looks like can refer to it. Kay?
Oooh, there sure is a lot to cover from what you've asked 9_9 But at least you actually asked exactly what you wanted. So many people are just like "Umm imma do a sora cosplay kay? tell me how to do it" and we just don't know what to do. I like the list x3;
Okay, Zoralink is right- you're gonna have to do some research yourself. There's a bunch of stuff on the forums, but it's a little scattered so you'll have to dig.
I suggest-
You can get fabric from Wal-Mart, or you probably have a fabric store close by, maybe in a city- a fabric store like Jo-Annes. When choosing fabric, just run through the store and look for what you like. Touch the fabric, look at the fabric, pull the fabric out and twirl it around. You've got to see what you like and what you think it most accuarate. Different people use different fabric, so there's really no perfect one.
Oh gee, I know you said that you don't like jeans- but it looks like Sora wears jeans under his "chaps". The jeans also protect your skin from chaffing if you stuff the pants to make them bulge. If you really can't stand jeans then you could at least buy some blue pants to use ^.^ To make them puff. . you'll need to either alter a loose pants pattern or create your own shape. . What you can do is take a pattern for flared capris and so something like this- http://i7.tinypic.com/24pastg.jpg (Crude drawing x3) add that red part and put an elastic into the bottom hem to hold them to your leg. .and then stuff away
For your jacket- get the same materiel that you use for your pants in order to make it consistant ::nod::
The shoulder things are so blah. I'D love to make mine from plastic or something too, but I don't know yet. .So I'd suggest bra pads. .which you can get from crafts sections (Wal-Mart) craft stores, or Jo-annes + Other sewing stores. Then, you can sew silver fabric over them, or possibley paint them. .
For yellow straps. . I suggest panting belts yellow, or sewing them out of fabric. .For the metal parts you'll probably be able to find something similiar at a hardware store- if not, then you can get D-rings from Wal-Mart which are metal rings shaped like. .Ds!
The gloves- Um. .the blue does sort of look like plastic, but that might be weird to have on your hand and I'm honestly not sure. .I'm sure no one would blame you for using fabric, and if you want the blue parts to be stiff, then use stiff fabric or craft foam
Sora's shoes are a real challenge x3; You're just going to have to be creative with those. .Wait. .actually- I think there's a tutorial in someone's photo gallery! Um. .their name is. .aznbassplayer- http://members.cosplay.com/15991/ . Go check that out- it might be helpful!
I can't tell you much about the kingdom key because I don't like it and I haven't done any real research in making them x3; I am carving the Oathkeeper and Oblivion from wood if it's releavent! (Who isn't? Psht.) Sorry!
Hm, I'm surprised you didn't ask about Sora's hair! Wigs and hair are usually a thing that people really jump on right from the gate. .Well, anyway, I know a lot of this is sort of vague and messy. Sora's my first cosplay as well, and I'm not the most fabulous seamstress, but I know how you feel about wanting to do well and make it very similar! Lemme tell you though that there's going to be lots of trial and error with whatever you attempt, so practice a lot. If you're sewing something, make sure to sew a mock-up with muslin (a cheap fabric) first! Mock-ups SAVE LIVES! Believe me!
Make sure to give yourself plenty of time too! I started my Sora costume a full year before it's going to be premiered ; ) It's actually going well enough that it might be done before this year is over! But still, it depends on how fast a learner you are. Stay dedicated too! If you're really into doing this as well as possible, then it will show and you'll have a fabulous cosplay!
But I've already said too much. <<; I hope this was at all helpful. Good luck! ^.^

Last edited by X affinity : 08-16-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 08-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
TinaYosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessorlight
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusTUkO....php%3ft=50530 This website should tell you a little about how to make the kingdom key but it is wood.(sorry)Good Luck though! I will see what else I can find for you.
I never thought about using wood for the kingdom key (only for the other keyblades), that will probly work

Quote:
Firstly, you should put a refrence picture of Sora up here, so people who don't know exactly what he looks like can refer to it. Kay?
I meant to do that I forgot XD

Quote:
Oooh, there sure is a lot to cover from what you've asked 9_9 But at least you actually asked exactly what you wanted. So many people are just like "Umm imma do a sora cosplay kay? tell me how to do it" and we just don't know what to do. I like the list x3;
Thanks I thought it would be useless doing that so I made a list and tried to be as specific as possible

Quote:
You can get fabric from Wal-Mart, or you probably have a fabric store close by, maybe in a city- a fabric store like Jo-Annes.
Both of those are preatty close by I'll ask my mom to take me XD (although Joanns use to be a 6 minute drive, now since we moved 2 towns away its now a 30minutes drive X_X)

Quote:
What you can do is take a pattern for flared capris and so something like this- http://i7.tinypic.com/24pastg.jpg (Crude drawing x3) add that red part and put an elastic into the bottom hem to hold them to your leg. .and then stuff away
That pattern is helpful, I was confused at first but after reading it 15 times I finally figured outbwhat you meant XD I can be weird sometimes.

Quote:
then use stiff fabric or craft foam
I like the idea with craft foam I think I'll try that out.

Quote:
Um. .their name is. .aznbassplayer- http://members.cosplay.com/15991/ . Go check that out- it might be helpful!
I think that will probly help ^_^ (I'm only looking at the photos for the time being XD)

Quote:
Hm, I'm surprised you didn't ask about Sora's hair! Wigs and hair are usually a thing that people really jump on right from the gate.
I think I know what I'm doing with the wig, I'm probly going to buy one and use the hairspray hairdryer on cool back and fourth method XD
I'm also looking at your tutorial and I think If I have enough time (since I plan on doing the wig last) I might want to do that instead, it looks like it's going to come out much nicer.

Quote:
Lemme tell you though that there's going to be lots of trial and error with whatever you attempt, so practice a lot. If you're sewing something, make sure to sew a mock-up with muslin (a cheap fabric) first! Mock-ups SAVE LIVES! Believe me!
I am definently expecting it, and that mock-up muslim stuff sounds like a good idea XD

Quote:
But still, it depends on how fast a learner you are. Stay dedicated too! If you're really into doing this as well as possible, then it will show and you'll have a fabulous cosplay!
But I've already said too much. <<; I hope this was at all helpful. Good luck! ^.^
It depends on what it is I'm learning, on how fast I learn, hopefully I will do good on this Sora Cosplay, this is going to be the biggest project ever for me, the longest drawling I've ever done took 11hours, and this I'm expecting 60-100 hours probly more XD thank you very much, you have offered a lot of help I'm amazed you pretty much answered everything :hugs:

Last edited by TinaYosh : 08-16-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Unread 08-16-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
X affinity
destinys.affinity

Sorry about that stupid little sketch x3 I could think how to word it so I just tried to draw it xD Sorry that it was so hard to understaaand! Someday I want to post the patterns for all of Sora's clothes for people to use x3; Urgh, my closest Joannes is an hour away- wal-mart is a half hour away. ::d00m:: If you use it, be careful with my tutorial- she's a sweetheart but she can be difficult. Don't forget to practice a little with that thing. Oh, and make all of your spirals and sew them on before styling. It will save you a world of greif ; )
Mock-ups ARE a good idea. I sooo cannot stress this enough. Doooooo iiiiit ::shakes you::
I'm glad I could help ::rubs head:: ^^;
Unread 08-16-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
X affinity
destinys.affinity

Um, sorry. About the aromor pads. .Try this thread about wonderflex. .It's a bit like plastic- only it's moldable.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=60768
Unread 08-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
TinaYosh

I like the idea of the wonderflex, thanks for the link ^_^

Also, I forgot to ask this, how do you get the shape shape his jacket?

I sound so dumb asking all these questions X_X XD
Unread 08-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
totorolover
Sleep is 4 loserS!

Dont feel dumb for asking questions, the more questions the better!
Other people are probably watching this thread with the same questions (like me).

SOMEONE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!!

costume list

chii- clamp no kieske cover
Dream - sandman comics
caption harlock (for husband)
totoro dress (daughter)
Unread 08-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
X affinity
destinys.affinity

The shape of his jacket? Liike, how it flares? Well, when you make the two front panels and the back panel, just draw that curve. .oh cripes, here's another drawing x3. http://i7.tinypic.com/24qv2fa.jpg
The red line should be curved about like that when cutting out the pattern. Look at the two lines in the corner on the bottom left. The one that says yes!! is correct because at the bottom of the line it curves back to being almost vertical. The one on the left just keeps curving into a point which will look awkward when you make it. To make it stay flared like that you'll need to use a semi-stiff fabric, but if you can't find a satisfactory fabric then running a thin wire through the hem might work out- I tested it and it wasn't perfect, but it did work. You just have to be careful of beinding the wire.
I took the wire back out though and realized that the fabric I was using made the coat flare perfectly without any extra help x3; I guess I got lucky there!
That's a very crude drawing so you'll need to tweak it yourself. Remember to practice with a mooooock-uuuup. x3 I'm sorry if it looks confusing. If you have a question about it then just post it here I'm subscribed to this thread <3
Unread 08-17-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
TinaYosh

Quote:
Dont feel dumb for asking questions, the more questions the better!
Other people are probably watching this thread with the same questions (like me).

SOMEONE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!!
Yaya I'm not the only one ^_^
I usually don't ask people questions, because I prefer finding a way myself, I'm afraid to ask questions most the time for some reason. :P
But I'm new to cosplaying and want to have as minimal mess ups as possible XD

Quote:
I'm sorry if it looks confusing. If you have a question about it then just post it here
Nope wasn't confusing, I found it helpful ^_^
This will be the last question for awhile, I'd also like to know about how to do the hood. I don't really know how else to explain what I mean by how to do it XD

Thank you again, I really appreciate you helping me out so much!

I might have to postpone doing it longer than I thought, I thought I was going to be able to start sometime before school starts, but now there's something wrong with my dogs leg (Its not broken just he wines when he has to step up on it, which he does quite a lot) so if its not better by tomarrow the money will have to go to taking him to to vet instead
Unread 08-17-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
X affinity
destinys.affinity

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. ;_; I hope he's okay!
Um, about the hood. .Let's see. .All I did to make mine was trace the outline of a hood on a regular hoodie that I had. I'd draw you another picture. .but. .just. .let's not go there x3; Copying a hoodie is a perfectly respectable way to get the pattern. Just cut two out and sew them together.
Oh, the only thing you need to remember is to measure half way around the collar of your Sora-Jacket and make sure the base of your hoodie pattern is that long so when you sew it on it's the right length.
Make a mock up of the hood though. I had to make three mock-ups because my hood kept turning out too small ><; Just make the two pieces, sew them together and rest it on your head. You don't even need to attach it to anything, just make sure the base is up on your shoulders and try to see if you like how it looks! Good luck!
Unread 08-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
Sorra
reach out to the truth!

Now more questions, yay!

Pants:
I used sweatshirt fleece for my Sora costume and I think it worked very well It was lightweight so it was easy to sew and was very comfortable. For the poofiness I threaded wire through the piping I used to make the white line at the bottom of his pants.

The Yellow Straps:
I just used a dull yellow ribbon that I threaded through the normal square buckles at Joanns which I had spryy painted from gold to silver.

Jacket:
Again I used sweatshirt fleece and it worked well. And look around at fabric stores near you for fabric.

Shoulder things:
Yes they are technically armor so they should be made out of craft foam or something but I cheated and just used felt.
Shirt:
Tshirt material and I used twill for the pocket which I also used for the pouches on his hips.

Golves:
I found some old gloves at my house and glued on all the criss crosses made out of bias tape.

Shoes:
I took some large hiking boots and painted them. I didnt finish them all the way but they looked pretty good.

Kingdom Key Keyblade:
I can't really help you there since I made mine out of wood.

Hope I helped even a small bit.
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Megarush

now the kingdom key I can help ya
the black handle part.I used medical tape and sharpied it but do NOT do that,the black came on my hand.My father had the same type of tape but completely black.The bad new to it is that I didn't find it yet and I don't know where he bought it.
the little blue part.if you do it EXACTLY like in the picture you don't need nothing other than paint,simply because that part is thinner than the rest(if you have the game.take the cover of the manual,you can see it clearly).if you don't want to wast time on it or you forgot to do it(like me) your quite doom to use tape except if you made it of wood
Unread 08-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
TinaYosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by X affinity
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. ;_; I hope he's okay!
Thanks, I think his leg is better now, without having to go to the vets ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by X affinity
Um, about the hood. .Let's see. .All I did to make mine was trace the outline of a hood on a regular hoodie that I had. I'd draw you another picture. .but. .just. .let's not go there x3; Copying a hoodie is a perfectly respectable way to get the pattern. Just cut two out and sew them together.
Oh, the only thing you need to remember is to measure half way around the collar of your Sora-Jacket and make sure the base of your hoodie pattern is that long so when you sew it on it's the right length.
Make a mock up of the hood though. I had to make three mock-ups because my hood kept turning out too small ><; Just make the two pieces, sew them together and rest it on your head. You don't even need to attach it to anything, just make sure the base is up on your shoulders and try to see if you like how it looks! Good luck!
Aww but I like your pictures XD
I'll see if I have any hoods around my house (I don't have any coats with hoods, but I think my mom might)
I will rember to make mock-ups for everything ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorra
Hope I helped even a small bit
Thank you ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitram
except if you made it of wood
Yeah I think I'm probley going to make it out of wood instead, my dad knows how to saw, and so I'll see if he'll saw out my templates, since my wouldn't trust me with a saw XD (we were cutting down trees one day and I kept sawing back and fowarth real raggety and barely got a cemtimeter cut, my mom thought I was gonna hurt her, so she took over, and got much further faster XD)