Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 08-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
tsumikuroi
Call Me 'Sora'

Dragon Knight Fai (of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)

Thanks to friends of friends who loved my Outo country Fai cosplay (I love them to death because they made me feel so good about cosplaying him and lugging around the giant "Cat's Eye" cafe sign), I've been wrangled into doing group cosplay. One isn't too hard (creating an entire Outo country arc cast) but the other is considerably more difficult because I've been asked to be part of a smaller group based on an artbook picture.

I have until AX 07 to finish this costume as I do not intend on attending any conventions during the school year because of my studies but I'd like to start now and create a very awesome cosplay.

After that very long intro (my apologies), I would like to ask two questions concerning the construction of my costume.

1) I have a pattern that I believe I can adjust but is there any good way to construct a collar that high on a coat without making it obvious that it's sewn on (i.e. by flopping, seam lines)?

2) What is the best way to attach the dragon design on the front of the coat?

Thank you for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsubasadragon.jpg (190.9 KB, 0 views)

Unread 08-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Kat Murz
Last Manitoban Pirate

YAY for Fye cosplay. I just finished doing Spirit town artwork Fye so I feel you pain lol

For the collar, you won't really see any seems lines if sewen on properly especially since it blac, darker fabric masks line better. If you use alot of interfacing to stiffen it up it don't flop as a rule.
(the collar on my Fye cape and coat are about the same hight as the one you'll be making and I never had problems with team flopping or seeing seems.)

For the dragon I would say sew it on, but if you do sew you would see lines because its very hard to hem the design so no stitches are seen. I used fusable webbing on my Fye to avoid this (and because their was sooo much, since its just the dragon you could sew it on with out taking up too much time.)

For using fusable webbing for something like this (incase you havn't) draw out each of the designs by hand on tissue paper. Then pin the pattern to the fabric, rough cut around it and then ironed fusable webbing to the back.

After the webbing was on I cut out the design, the webbing makes it a bit stiffer and easier to cut out the fine details. Then you remove the pattern and pin it were you want it. As you iron it on you have to peel off the backing and be very careful so that you don't wrinkle.

Be sure to use a fabric that isn't stretchy and doesn't really fray if you sew or fuse. Stretchy causes puckering and if the fabric easily frays then either way exposed edges will start too.

Best of luck!! If you have any other question I'm be more then happy to help out ^^ Can't wait to see it!
~ Ai-kon
~ Otakuthon
~ Central Canadian Comic Con

Check me out for tutorials, con reviews and more at:: Nomadic-Goldfish Cosplay on Facebook
Kat Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
tsumikuroi
Call Me 'Sora'

Thank you so much! This info will really help out some of the other members of our group too, especially my Kurogane!
Unread 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
feytaline

Be careful with fusible webbing, though! I've used that several times before, and it can peel off very easily if you're not careful. You may want to add tiny stitches at the corners of the design, where it won't be visible, just to be sure there aren't any major mishaps.

Points to you for doing this design, it's one of my favorites.
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
tsumikuroi
Call Me 'Sora'

One more thing! I have a pattern for a high necked trenchcoat as a base. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different pattern that can be used for his awkward turtleneck coat that-fastens-on-the-side-but-has-a-slit-running-up-the-other-side (As I've begun to dub this project)?