Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

Question Making a hilt from paperclay...

I already have a wooden sword but the hilt isn't the right shape. I want to use paper clay to make a new hilt but I have no previous experience using paper clay.

Will paper clay simply stick to the wood when it dries? Or do I need to attach it somehow?

What kind of paint should I use?

And lastly do I need to seal it with something like resin, and if so, before of after I paint it?

Note: the sword I am making is the one Zelda carries in the artwork seen in the Twilight Princess.
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Aer
rawr

A lot of times I need to extend hilts so I'll use paperclay. I just made a base out of cardboard or whatever, papier mache it so it has a nice base for the paperclay, then apply the paperclay. Sand, reapply where needed, sand, repeat. Yes it'll stick find to the wood.

I just use those cheap bottles of acrylic craft paint - oh you might want to prime it with something like gesso first (I water it down and just paint on a quick layer). That also picks up any leftover dust which you are guaranteed to get after sanding paperclay and that could potentially mix with the paint and discolor it some. Not a big deal but thats what I do.

Over top it all I just use a spray gloss to give it a finish.
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
a-tastic

better sticking than paperclay (and cheaper): Hearty clay.
in fact, once you smoosh it onto surfaces like wood, it's hard to get it off.
i get mine at Hobby Lobby.

when it's dried, and it dries fast especially if you build up in thin layers (which also makes it quite firm and hard), you can sand it, paint it with whatever you like, and varnish it. once it's varnished it's very sturdy, just avoid temperature extremes.

i like the ease of painting and working on stuff in my bathroom, so i used water-based acrylic paints, and a water-based non-toxic varnish. works like a charm.

if you wanna see the insane stuff you can do with Hearty clay, check out my pics. most of my props and headdresses involve Hearty clay. i heart it.

Last edited by a-tastic : 08-19-2006 at 03:36 PM.
a-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Paperclay sticks VERY well to wood as long as you wet the wood surface a bit first. It's what I usually use for detailing whenever I make wooden props. If it cracks, just moisten the crack and fill it with more Paperclay. Paperclay also carves very nicely if you have wood-carving tools.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

Thank you all so much! This is a big help!
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote