Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 08-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
thefinal
Sapphira

MegaCon Orlando, FL (Feb 16th-18th)

I was wondering who was intending on going? I think I might make this my first out of state con, but I'd like to know what the attendance is like and if the people are relatively nice ^^;;
thefinal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
reannaremick

Wow, I can't believe it doesn't have it's own thread. Weird. Anywho, I will definitely be going again this year. I went last year and it was a BLAST!
reannaremick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
thefinal
Sapphira

yeah, I know it's a pretty big con...so I was pretty surprised as well to not see it have it's own thread O___O;;

Ummm, so was the hotel host Double Tree last year as well? I wasn't sure how a convention works in an actual convention center ><;; I'm so accustom to seeing cons in a hotel...
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

Megacon is awesome. The anime presence has gotten bigger and bigger every year. Last year we really dominated it. XD I like the mix of sci-fi, it makes for neat variety, and the attendees seem to be less tweeny than some of the other cons I've been to.
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinal
yeah, I know it's a pretty big con...so I was pretty surprised as well to not see it have it's own thread O___O;;

Ummm, so was the hotel host Double Tree last year as well? I wasn't sure how a convention works in an actual convention center ><;; I'm so accustom to seeing cons in a hotel...

Megacon is for the most part, a very large dealer room. It caters to scifi/fantasy, though has a rather good size anime presence. The last two years Jpop house brought bands to play, free with paid attendance to the convention itself.

Anime Sushi holds a huge anime costume contest, and on Friday/Sunday you can find other non-anime related events (last Megacon had Star Wars and Firefly/Buffy events).

The number of people attending rangers around the 25,000 mark, so on Saturday you can expect large crowding. The convention center is rather large, however they do have a tendancy to have the cheerleading convention next door.

As for hotels, the convention center is on International Drive, which has a MASS of hotels, ranging in prices. Your best bet would be the Quality inn next to the con-center. Its decently priced (80$ a night usually), and walking distance to the con (parking is a nightmare). If not, there is a trolly system that takes people up and down the street. Just make sure you're no farther then a mile from the con center, or else you'll have to drive.

The con doesn't stay open very late, since its mostly a dealer room. Thankfully, I-drive has MANY things you can do that are lots of fun for the night.

I hope that helps.

This will actually be the first Megacon I will not be attending in 6 years. I'm opting for Katsucon instead.

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
reannaremick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinal
No, but I did stay there for FXShow and it is a GREAT hotel. It's not terribly far from the convention center, but definitely you'd need a taxi or something to get to the center from there, if you decided to stay there. I had my car, so I just drove.
reannaremick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I'll be going to Katsu next year, I need to get away from Florida for once, haha. Mega isn't one of my favorite cons, I prefer JACON, Metro, and AFO.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
Brio
the fuzzy one

I'm planing on going for at least Saturday, and most likely sunday*to help save up for Metrocon*

I'm gonna try and Have my Kero Beros Finished by then to enter in the costume contest^_^.

And a quick little side note, KeyOfTwilight, myself, and a few other people were thingking of getting a booth/table and spliting the cost between everyone and have a kind of cosplay.com table so people can do art/commissions/props and whatever else we can come up with and be able to have kind of short shifts to work with....I know we have a thread floating around somewhere about it...*will find it later*

~In progress/upcoming Projects~
Liger Zero 95% completed - Metro '10

~Upcoming Cons~
Metrocon
AFO
EXPcon
MFF?
Oyahocon?
FWA?
Anime North?
Brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Tia

If all goes well over christmas break, I will be Shaak Ti. I am definitely going to be at Megacon all weekend again this year. I'm pretty sure I am also doing a table (but in independent press). I'm going to pay for the hotel costs and Stephen (Dark_Tiger) said he would pick up the table. It'll probably be mostly jewelry on my end, and props on his.
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
thefinal
Sapphira

Hmmm, I love sci-fi/fantasy but I've never been to a convention that really "specializes" in it Now this all sounds so much more fun!

lucifer -- thanks for the tip, I'll definately have to see about a hotel closer to the convention center since I will be flying in from Texas and have no method of transportation (except what buses there are and what not) ~,~;; Cheaper is always better since it's just going to be me and my ex

I'm glad it's more of a sci-fi/fantasy merged with anime as well...that makes me happy ^^;; woo!
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
thefinal
Sapphira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki
I'll be going to Katsu next year, I need to get away from Florida for once, haha. Mega isn't one of my favorite cons, I prefer JACON, Metro, and AFO.
How was AFO this year? I was thinking about going to that convention as well next year :/
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

AFO was pretty good, I had lots of fun! It was a lot more crowded than in the past though, I think they should move to a bigger location. Not massively bigger, but the narrow hallways aren't exactly fun to navigate. Though, I do like how everything is easy to locate. And they have enough fun events to keep me occupied througout the weekend.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
SaltySlippers
ultraviolence

Wow Feb. is a really REALLY long time from now. ;-; But it is going to go really fast though. ^_^

I am going for sure. When the winter season hits down in florida is seems that no cons go on from October-february. So I need to get some con in me.

I have NO idea what costume I going to bring. In 4 months I will though. ^_^
SaltySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
JocieNeko

I'm going, not sure who as though. It's awhile away so no worries. I was curious about Mega because it varies a lot. Anime to sci-fi to fantasy, should be interesting.
What kind of panels do they usually have? Like more anime or is it leaning to more sci-fi things?
JocieNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySlippers
I am going for sure. When the winter season hits down in florida is seems that no cons go on from October-february. So I need to get some con in me.
Um, actually that's incorrect. Between October and February you have:

Amano's World* (mid Oct)
Disney's Not-so-Scary-Halloween (all of Oct)
Jaco Halloween Party (end of oct)
Anime South* (end of Nov)
FX-show* (mid January)

* are all conventions, where as the other two are excuses to cosplay in public :3

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote