Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Exclamation VERY IMPORTANT: Read if you plan to use Audio in Costume Contests

Edited!

Thankfully, as you'll see below in later posts, this crisis has been averted. Hooray to whoever in D*C's staff calmed the wrath that could have been ASCAP.

The following is left only as posterity now. Let us go back to getting those last minute things done on our costumes!

-------

Gah! PLEASE CROSSPOST THIS TO EVERY DAWN CONTEST FORUM THERE IS. Thanks!

I apologize in advance, I know that this is gonna be bad news for many of you women entering the contest this year. Let me just say in advance, I think it's BS.

Dragon*Con is growing. It is leaving the realm of undergound geekness & kicking things up to a whole new level. This means more attention from the maintream media. Which is good in most ways, & not so much, in others.

The con has attracted the attention of the ASCAP , the American Society of Composers, Atuhors & Publishers. & what ASCAP told the con is, I hope all the people in all the shows you put on GOT THE PERMISSION OF all the musicians, for the music they will be using in thier performances.

So, to be clear, unelss you are pals with & have a written note from, whoever wrote/owns the music you are planning to use, you can't use it. The con will be fined.

Anyone with an audio component to their entry for the Dawn Look-a-Like show, please be aware of this situation.

But don't despair. I happen to know a couple of musicians, & there are many great bands performing at the actual con. I am sure Voltaire, the Crüxshadows, Abney Park, Heather Alexander, Brobdingnagian Bards, Daikaiju, Ego Likeness, Emerald Rose, Godhead, The Last Dance, Last Picture Show, MaudlinAsh, or Throwing Toasters would be honored to be part of anyone's contest moment. I'm not too familiar with many of these acts, but the Crüxshadows have some lovely, dance-able stuff. All these bands/musicians are listed on the D*con website under guests.

I am very aghast at this. This is part of growth, but it sucks. I'm also sorry about the short notice. I only just heard about this myself. It's totally inasne the amount of fees they wanna slap the con with.

Don't let it happen! We'll have to play by the rules.

I'll throw up a note on lj looking for musicians, too.

-- Ms. Eva

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com

Last edited by Dany : 08-25-2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: RESOLVED! HOORAY!
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

... Well, that totally ruins my plans for the music I wanted to use at the masquerade. DAMMIT.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Invader
... Well, that totally ruins my plans for the music I wanted to use at the masquerade. DAMMIT.
It may or may not. It depends on how stringent the MD will be about it. As I mentioned, it's best to get in touch with the director and find out where your stuff stands, and in the meantime, hunt up someone to give you permission to use it. There's still a week before the convention starts, and a quick email shot to the right person could work in your favor.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Unread 08-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I cannot beLIEVE that a con the size of Dragon*Con either didn't know about this requirement (venue paying an ASCAP fee for all music played there) or didn't bother. This is insane.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
I cannot beLIEVE that a con the size of Dragon*Con either didn't know about this requirement (venue paying an ASCAP fee for all music played there) or didn't bother. This is insane.
Yeah, it's stinky. What's funny, however, is that the song I wanted to use for the Dawn contest doesn't show up in either ASCAP or BMI's lists. Of course, it's from an obscure side project of this guy in Germany released in '99. *chuckle*

I did try to email the guy, however, just to see if he replies. If he does, great. If not, I have two different backup possibilities..one that we've already inquired about. *watches email intently*

2013 Events:

Unread 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
joeranger
Joe Ranger

Prepare for vent: This is going to far. This perpetuates the image of record companies as money grubbing behemouths which makes people feel justified in buying/sharing pirated music. Yes it is stealing and no I don't do it, but it gives those who do a "Robin Hood" like stature.
In fairness, Cons in the past have turned a blind eye to those on the convention floor SELLING pirated media. However, that was shut down last year by some high profile raids.
The next logical step is to fine anyone wearing a costume which infringes on any copyrited material. Where does it end? Imagine everyone wearing only Officially licensed costumes bought at your local dept store.
End vent.
joeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Manda
Ghandi has ADD

Question -

If your song doesn't appear on either of the lists on BMI or ASCAP, can you use it? I was going to use a piece from Cirque Du Soleil and it (the specific Cirque show) doesn't show up on their lists.
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda
If your song doesn't appear on either of the lists on BMI or ASCAP, can you use it? I was going to use a piece from Cirque Du Soleil and it (the specific Cirque show) doesn't show up on their lists.
This is something I am trying to figure out myself. While it may not be listed in ASCAP or BMI, it could be listed in a foreign copyright thing that ASCAP has access to, and thus can slap fines for.

I'm asking as many people as I know who can elaborate. That possible loophole could save some people. However, if D*C chooses to be juggernauts about it, you'll want to scare together a backup and permissions to use it. I would even go as far as to print out said permissions and bring them to the convention, so that if ASCAP tries to nail us somehow, you can present that and head them off at the pass.

2013 Events:

Unread 08-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
I agree. I am completely *DISGUSTED* at the con for this. I didn't have any plans for using any music for anything but I know countless people that have their presentations based around songs.

Way to completely ruin most of the interesting parts of the contests.

Selling some of my Satine from Moulin Rouge costumes & more on Etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/crimsonvision
crimsonvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

SWEET! This just came across from the Head of Security:

Just so there is no more confusion this is the offical word on Music and the con and the issue with ASCAP.

"We have resolved our differences with ASCAP. Recorded music will now
be allowed in all areas except the exhibit halls. Live music must be
owned by the performing artist or the artist must have written
permission from the owner."

Sincerely,
Pat Henry
Chairman

Unread 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

PHWEW!!!!

Relief...I don't know who did what, but I am thankful

2013 Events:

Unread 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
crimsonvision
The Red Rose of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany
PHWEW!!!!

Relief...I don't know who did what, but I am thankful
Yeah, I know alot of people are going to be happy. You should go post to Linsner.com

Unread 08-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Oh, fabulous . That definately eases tensions a bit.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonvision
Yeah, I know alot of people are going to be happy. You should go post to Linsner.com
Already did And with that, the dust settles....well, I hope!!!!

2013 Events: