Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Zell Chan
Hotdog Hunter

Getting Lolita to fit unloli porportions

Hiyas, I've been a long time admirer of Lolita and EGL (exsp them lolis) but I figured I'd always be on the outside looking in, or somehow stealing my of friends while they slept, propping them up and somehow they wake up the next morning in frilly dresses >.>

After looking at pictures of successful lolis around the world, I belived that 1) I'm VERY long waisted, I cant wear any kind of corseting at all without adding 1 inch to the waist and 1-2 inches to the bottom. 2) I have no hips. I never wore anything but an a-line skirt because nothing else poofs. ;-; 3) I have no, no, no bussom at all. This makes corsets look even silier. Or anything where you have to fill out the top, really.

So I was pretty much sure if I did anything in this realm, it'd be Kodonas. I crossplay more than anything else as it is.

But is there any chance I could look good in a poofy baby doll dress? Or should I slip pills into my friend's drinks and doll them up before they come to?
More than Half done: ...
Needs work: ...
Barley Started: Yoko (guren lagann), Cloud Strife (ff7)
Zell Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Dante_realremix
A devil from heaven.

Be creative and look at male lolitas. And Mana cospalyers. Oh what the hell check mine, if you want to be creeped the hell out.

-Original quote

Soon... I will be known as the angel of cruelty and malice...
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11003917

http://www.techwarrior.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=37020245
Dante_realremix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
AZNPRDE420666
hill billy delight

Do yourself a favor and DON'T look at Mana cosplayers. Most of the Mana cosplayers do more of his visual costumes which aren't appropriate for the lolita fashion.

I have no bosom at all (28 inch bust><). I don't think you really need to worry about corsetting (you don't want it to acentuate your bosom anyways. Lolita fashion is about modesty not breasts)

Don't worry about skirts not poofing, thats why petticoats were invented! A simple circle skirt can go from flat to fab with a petticoat. http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/englis...news/index.htm
Scroll down to the bottom and you can see how much a petticoat makes a difference.

Even if you are long waisted, you can still wear lolita clothing. A cute t-shirt with a modest circle skirt, some knee high socks, and cute shoes would be really great for a casual lolita look. (and if it gets cold throw on a cute cardigan!)

I wouldn't start out your wardrobe with frilly dresses. Although beautiful, they can be impractical. Start off with staple lolita wardrobe items such as neutral colored blouses, a cute jumperskirt or two, a few skirts, and some really cute shoes in neutral colors!

http://community.livejournal.com/egl/4019745.html

Good luck on your venture into lolita fashion!
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

I don't think it's any problem to not be 'omg busty' for Lolita. I mean look at all the cute asian lolitas we always see pictures of! No bust! No hips! The point of the fashion is to draw away from the 'sexy' features and make one look cute instead. And let me tell you as an 'omg busty' person myself i find it really hard to down play said features.
I agree that a nice circle skirt and a blouse would be a nice start. And yes petti coats are your friend when you want poof! Even with my hips i can't get a skirt to poof right without a petti!
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Sayaka - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kaidan Alenko - Mass Effect 3
Ashe - LoL
UsagiNoSenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
inertia
are you 'domy?

It sounds to me like you might actually have a pretty good figure for lolita. ^_^ The "problems" you describe are all very common among Japanese women, and lolita styles made by Japanese designers are made with this body type in mind and often work well with it.

If you wear separates like blouses and skirts, you can set the waistline higher or lower as you like. Lolita skirts are meant to be worn with panniers and bloomers anyway, so as long as you're wearing those undergarments it won't matter how narrow your hips are. As for having a small bust, Lolita tops tend to be really good for that because they often have lots of fluffy decorative details on the chest that make it look bigger. Ruffled fronts are great on small busts. If you have even a little bit of a bust, shirring is good also -- on thin girls for whom shirred items are a little loose, the shirring adds bulk which enhances curves. Big ruffled jabots fluff out the chest too, and they look adorable peeping out of the collar of a jacket.

Corsets are unnecessary. They're popular among Western lolitas but Japanese girls don't wear them much. If you check the Gothic & Lolita Bible, there are many pictures of girls wearing lolita without corsets and you should be able to get some good ideas.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Amaya De'Morte
Clearly Miscalculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia
It sounds to me like you might actually have a pretty good figure for lolita. ^_^ The "problems" you describe are all very common among Japanese women, and lolita styles made by Japanese designers are made with this body type in mind and often work well with it.

If you wear separates like blouses and skirts, you can set the waistline higher or lower as you like. Lolita skirts are meant to be worn with panniers and bloomers anyway, so as long as you're wearing those undergarments it won't matter how narrow your hips are. As for having a small bust, Lolita tops tend to be really good for that because they often have lots of fluffy decorative details on the chest that make it look bigger. Ruffled fronts are great on small busts. If you have even a little bit of a bust, shirring is good also -- on thin girls for whom shirred items are a little loose, the shirring adds bulk which enhances curves. Big ruffled jabots fluff out the chest too, and they look adorable peeping out of the collar of a jacket.

Corsets are unnecessary. They're popular among Western lolitas but Japanese girls don't wear them much. If you check the Gothic & Lolita Bible, there are many pictures of girls wearing lolita without corsets and you should be able to get some good ideas.
everyone's right.. and on the corsets.. they're more adult (victorian children did wear corsets, but they were more used to teach posture. Here's a sketch of a young girl in her corset: http://www.victoriana.com/corsets/Images/corsets-2.jpg

as you can see, there's no focus on shape, just posture) And therefore apply more to gothic fashion (not lolita ^^) So you don't need hips, nor a large bust. In fact, if you're built quite nicely for lolita.
Tsubaki (soul Eater)
Rogue (xmen)
Once-ler (The Lorax Movie)

deviantART+facebook

“A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerated the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable”
Amaya De'Morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Kateko
Queen of Froofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell Chan
Hiyas, I've been a long time admirer of Lolita and EGL (exsp them lolis) but I figured I'd always be on the outside looking in, or somehow stealing my of friends while they slept, propping them up and somehow they wake up the next morning in frilly dresses >.>

After looking at pictures of successful lolis around the world, I belived that 1) I'm VERY long waisted, I cant wear any kind of corseting at all without adding 1 inch to the waist and 1-2 inches to the bottom. 2) I have no hips. I never wore anything but an a-line skirt because nothing else poofs. ;-; 3) I have no, no, no bussom at all. This makes corsets look even silier. Or anything where you have to fill out the top, really.

So I was pretty much sure if I did anything in this realm, it'd be Kodonas. I crossplay more than anything else as it is.

But is there any chance I could look good in a poofy baby doll dress? Or should I slip pills into my friend's drinks and doll them up before they come to?
I just have to say...

I would love to wake up one morning in a giant frilly lolita dress... I wish my friends had ideas like that.

(I'm sorry, this is off-topic)
Reita - Zetsu - the GazettE 0% (Planning!)
Kateko is offline   Reply With Quote