Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
robfalcon

Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0

i originally posted this thread in the spam section on this site. But as those that have replied to the thread there who have been saying "wrong section" or "try posting it in cosplay photography" i have decided to do that.

Personally i didnt think this subject would come under "photography", as its all about altering a photo with a software programme after you have used the camera to take the pic. I'll let the mods decided which section this thread is most appropriate under.

I recently got a copy of Photoshop elements 4.0 but theres still some things on there i havent yet figured out how to do.

And i have noticed how many members on here have used the programe to enhance their pics of cosplays. I have figured out how to change the colour of things (i.e. change hair colour ect), i have figured out how to lighten or darken skin (but that one has a tendancy to change the colour of everything else in the pic aswell), i have figured out how to darken and lighten the foreground or background in photo's.

But so far i have not yet figured out how to

* Remove a person from the photo, so that you could then place them into another pic so it looks like the person is now in a different location than before (which alot of people on here have done with some of their cosplays)

* Make it so the scenery in a photo is black and white, but the person is still in colour.

* change the eye colour of a person in a pic

Unread 08-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

I dont have elements, but I have photoshop. If the instructions are the same, I could explain these things to you. hmm... Have you done a yahoo search for elements tutorials or something? (I only ask because sometimes the web has some very clear and intelligent tutorials that may be able to explain these steps better than myself?)
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
MoonLover
Drawing Machine

I may be able to help you with some of this.

How the change the eye colour of a person in a pic:
Zoom in on the person's eyes, grab the Lasso tool and select the eyes (You can select more than one thing by pressing down SHIFT) Then go to Enhance, Adjust Colour and Hue/ Saturation. If you play around with the Hue bar, the colour of the selected areas will change

Remove a person from a photo:
This is tricky. What I do is carefully select everything in the background, around the person and delete it so you are left with the person. >_<; Perhaps there are better ways of doing this lol. If you look in my gallery, there's a picture I did with deleting the background and one where I changed the eyes (Kenichi with blue starry bg and Evil eyes)

Make background black and white but the person stays in colour:
Same sort of process as above. Select the background with the lasso tool (or magic wand tool, whichever works best) - Go to Enhance, Adjust colour and Remove Colour. There. The background should be black and white now

Hope this helps. If you want to know more, you're welcome to PM me
MoonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
robfalcon

right i am just having a muck around with this one here.

Right luckily i know how to zoom in on an image. The lasso tool has an icon that looks like a noose dosent it?. I select that icon, but an option then dose not come up saying "select eyes", so i am pressuming you didnt mean that?. It seems as if the lasso tool allows you to free hand draw?. So it looks like that once you have drawn a circular shape with the lasso tool, it kinda puts a mask around the object you traced around?.

Then you click enhance, and then change the Hue ect dont you?.

As for removing a person from a backround, you click the magic selection brush icon dont you?. And then click in the picture hoping it will automaticly put a circuit mask around the entire backround dont you?. But then what do you actually click to make the backround disapear once the mask is on the pic?.
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Captin Kyo
Super Silly Slut

I have elements 3.0 im guessing its not that much different?

To take a person and put them on a different background? thats what your trying to do? You could just hand trace them with the lasso tool and copy and paste over the background?
Unread 08-29-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
MoonLover
Drawing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfalcon
Right luckily i know how to zoom in on an image. The lasso tool has an icon that looks like a noose dosent it?. I select that icon, but an option then dose not come up saying "select eyes", so i am pressuming you didnt mean that?. It seems as if the lasso tool allows you to free hand draw?. So it looks like that once you have drawn a circular shape with the lasso tool, it kinda puts a mask around the object you traced around?.

Then you click enhance, and then change the Hue ect dont you?.
Yeah, the Lasso tool looks like a noose. I meant that you could use the lasso tool to trace around the eyes and it makes a mask on that area. Then you can change the colours by going to the Hue/Saturation menu n_n; It only changes the colour in the area your selected which is within the mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captin Kyo
I have elements 3.0 im guessing its not that much different?

To take a person and put them on a different background? thats what your trying to do? You could just hand trace them with the lasso tool and copy and paste over the background?
I have Adobe Elements 2.0 :P I kinda figured the icons and the Enhance stuff would be in the same place...n_n;;; That's what I was trying to tell robfalcon but... lol you wrote it easier to read x_X Mine's just like a rambling mess you hear from a monkey high on sugar.

Last edited by MoonLover : 08-29-2006 at 03:08 AM.
MoonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
robfalcon

Thanks everyone for you help in this :-)

I have figured out now how to do the tasks in the questions i had previously asked. Theres a few more things i cannot figure out how to do now.

1) Open up a photo, then add another photo ontop of it (so the second photo lays ontop of the first photo).

2) Transparency:

This question goes kind of hand in hand with the first question. I tried entering the word "Transparency" into the keyword search on its help section, still cant find anything :-(.

I wanted to be able to open 1 photo (to be a backround), then open a second photo (of a persons face), have the second pic laying ontop pf the first pic, then have it so the second pic is transparent (meaning you can then see details of the backround through the persons face thats in the foreground)
Unread 10-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
staereo

try the word: opacity

Unread 10-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
robfalcon

^^^ well thanks for clarifying to me that Opacity was the fuction that creates transparacies, but i still dont know how to turn photo's into layers tho. What if i want an actual photo on my hardrive to be a layer? (meaning so i can stack a small photo ontop of a large photo?), i have really tried and experimented and read up on how to do this, but nothing on there is telling me :-(
Unread 10-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
staereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfalcon
^^^ well thanks for clarifying to me that Opacity was the fuction that creates transparacies, but i still dont know how to turn photo's into layers tho. What if i want an actual photo on my hardrive to be a layer? (meaning so i can stack a small photo ontop of a large photo?), i have really tried and experimented and read up on how to do this, but nothing on there is telling me :-(
Oh, my apologies, I mistook your post for saying that you already had layers figured out.

I use photoshop, so I'm not sure if this works the same way in elements.

One way to do it is to open a picture, select what you want with your selection tool. Edit=> copy.
Go to the image you want to add it to, as a layer, and go Edit => Paste As => New Layer.

Then you can move it where you want and modify its opacity with layer properties under 'layer' menu.

If this is confusing, just let me know.

Sorry about the misunderstanding earlier, I thought you were just looking for a different search word for the help function. I hope this is better.
Unread 10-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
robfalcon

cheers for your help, i have finally figured out how to add photo's ontop of other photo's, but im affraid how you explained how to do it was not the way. I clicked on the "how to" section and followed what it said about "how to add an image ontop of another image", and even then it was all that clear in its explanatory :-/
Unread 10-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
staereo

Yeah.. I wasn't sure how close elements was to photoshop.. but I tried...