Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 09-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
DevilsIsle1690

Garb/ Renfest/ Historical CosPlay

Any one else ever want to dress up like Queen Elizabeth or Ann Booney? Enjoy Rennaisance festival and constructing garb? Have tips for making garb?

I'd love to hear about your ideas and experiances, as well as share some of my own. ^_^
DevilsIsle1690 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Satine

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=43122

Already a thread unless you want to change this to other historical periods/characters which I don't think is represented here yet...

My icon probably says it all, love me some German Renaissance. But I also do Victorian and other periods as well
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
DevilsIsle1690

Well, My main period of interest is Colonial American. It's what I study actually. Say from about 1600 till 1750. (pre-revolutionary war, pre imperial war) And Historical Pirates make me happy ^__^
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Ambient_Blue
Silver-Eyed Witch

Whoo hoo, DevilsIsle1690! I really love garb from a similar period...from about 1750 to 1810. GOOD STUFF. Something about those clothes looks so good on the right men. ;D
Ambient_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Tancos
Who?

I was active in the Society for Creative Anachronism long before I started watching anime. I did some of costuming for myself, mostly 14th- and 15th-century garb, and took lots of pictures of nifty costumes. I've got a gallery here.
Tancos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
z3bra
Something Fierce

I am thinking of attending a Renaissance festival as a jester, but not sure whether it would be appropriate or whether I could do it. I'm not a very good actor, but I do like Renaissance music
z3bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancos
I was active in the Society for Creative Anachronism long before I started watching anime. I did some of costuming for myself, mostly 14th- and 15th-century garb, and took lots of pictures of nifty costumes. I've got a gallery here.
Those are some excellent pictures!

My home barony (Jararvellir in Northshield) is hosting KWCS this year. I'm excited for it.

Berz.

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Tancos
Who?

Thank you.
Tancos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
DevilsIsle1690

So I just finished re-working my Fest corset. And am currently working on a comission for a pirate corset. It shall be edged in a rather niffty leather grommet trim.

z3bra I believe going to fest as a jester would be approriate, but i can't even begin to figure out the construction of such a costume. You say you like the music, have you considered going as a minstral? Could be slighlty less complicated and shinney then a jester costume would be.
Unread 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
z3bra
Something Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsIsle1690
So I just finished re-working my Fest corset. And am currently working on a comission for a pirate corset. It shall be edged in a rather niffty leather grommet trim.

z3bra I believe going to fest as a jester would be approriate, but i can't even begin to figure out the construction of such a costume. You say you like the music, have you considered going as a minstral? Could be slighlty less complicated and shinney then a jester costume would be.
That's an excellent recommendation, especially since I am a musician. Where would I find examples of such a costume?
Unread 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

Nah, a jester costume can be easy to make. It just depends on the time period and social class you want to do. If you're looking for simple and quick I wouldn't do, say, a Renaissance court jester, for example.

Get yourself a black mask and lots of bells and wear diamond shapes. Those are the general identifying marks of the jester dating back to the earlist days of the Harliquin character in Commedia dell'Arte. He was most prevailant in Italy during the Renaissance. Earlier jesters have an even more general look than him.

I've done a little reseach on the topic. Can you tell? ^_^

Berz.

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3bra
I am thinking of attending a Renaissance festival as a jester, but not sure whether it would be appropriate or whether I could do it. I'm not a very good actor, but I do like Renaissance music
Faires are typically pretty lax about costumed guests. A lot of people seem to treat them like cons and, if they're attending in costume, will sometimes do either "renaissance-inspired" costumes, which are basically modern clothes that are flowy or gothy or whatever, or they'll wear Halloween-store medieval costumes, or dress as, like, Xena or Gandalf or something. Since you're a guest there and wearing a costume for fun, you shouldn't get too much flak if your costume isn't period-authentic. It depends on where you are; sometimes the cast likes to rib the guests good-naturedly.

Other guests may think you're a member of the cast and start asking you where the bathrooms or the jousting or whatnot is. Some faires I've been to frequently enough that I know the grounds by heart and I can tell them with a smile on my face, other times I tell them to look at the damn brochure they gave everybody five of when they walked through the gate.

The good thing about period garb is that a lot of it is relatively simple to make, and there are so many styles which are really good for learning on if you're a novice costumer.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

http://www.costumes.org has the best source of information on all things historical and period.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #14
z3bra
Something Fierce

Maybe I was unclear in an earlier post, but the costume attached to my id *is* my jester costume, and whether it is/was appropriate for such festivals/cons. I just pieced it together this summer from scavenged parts (a jester / harlequin suit, a hat, a modified mexican wrestler's mask - that took me the longest time to customize).

My question had more to do with a response to the suggestion about a minstrel costume. I can't sew worth anything so I'd have to obtain a minstrel costume in a similar way.

I'm not really interested in true authenticity, just a general look and feel, something moderately presentable.

Sorry about the unclarity.

Last edited by z3bra : 09-07-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Unread 09-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
DevilsIsle1690

Goodwill or anysuch similar second hand store can be a great place for obtaining items to modify into garb.