Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Parrotfish100
BELIEVE IT!

Covering eyebrows?

I'm working on a Gaara (Naruto) costume, and the problem is he doesn't have eyebrows... How would I cover mine without shaving them off? I only want to look like a freak when I wear the costume
Uzumaki Naruto?
-Sac-Anime July-
??????
-Anime Expo, '07-
Kyuubi Naruto?
Tamaki (Ouran High)?
Kite (.hack//)?
Parrotfish100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=85280
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=89870

I will be shaving my eyebrows off for a future costume (extra points for dedication, right? ), because by the sounds of it, it will be easier to draw them back on than to hide them.

Last edited by Melanie : 09-10-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Parrotfish100
BELIEVE IT!

Ah, thanks a bunch! And yes, you win a bunch of dedication points XD
Uzumaki Naruto?
-Sac-Anime July-
??????
-Anime Expo, '07-
Kyuubi Naruto?
Tamaki (Ouran High)?
Kite (.hack//)?
Unread 09-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
retroggirl
recovering feather addict

oh my god, for the love of all that is holy DO NOT under any circumstance shave off your eyebrows. There is a very simple way of re-designing your brows: find any professional make-up school, aesthetics school, or costume house and ask for eyebrow sealer. You cover your eyebrows with this stuff, use concealer to even out the color and you should end up with a perfectly smooth surface on which to draw new eyebrows or not, as your cosplay demands. Shaving off eyebrows ends up in a mess as they gow back in. Often, the hairs grow back in odd directions or thicker in portions of the brow where that had not been the case before. Oh, depending on the brand of sealer you buy, you may need remover as well, which should also be sold in the same store, hopefully!
Unread 09-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I must agree. The effect you get from this product, also called "eyebrow plastic" can easily be made indistinguishable from shaved eyebrows, and it does look rediculous growing back.
verdatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
silverangel902
...is a total nerd

Taken from Kevyn Aucoin's book 'Making Faces' which is pretty much the Make-up Bible:

Step One: Draw over brow with sealing wax
Step Two: Paint over waxed brow with eyebrow sealer
Step Three: Let Dry
Step Four: Cover with foundation same colour as skintone
Step Five: Apply loose powder to set

All fancy materials found at www.cosplaysupplies.com in the kryolan makeup section: EYEBROW PLASTIC $9 CAD/$6 USD, WAX SEALOR $8 CAD/$5.30 USD, WAX REMOVER $11 CAD.

Foundation and powder can be from here or drug store.
Unread 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Parrotfish100
BELIEVE IT!

I found some eyebrow plastic at a costume shop for $8... it was a stick of wax So do I just push it on my eyebrow and drag it across, form it, or what?
Uzumaki Naruto?
-Sac-Anime July-
??????
-Anime Expo, '07-
Kyuubi Naruto?
Tamaki (Ouran High)?
Kite (.hack//)?
Unread 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
StarDustShadow
Touch fuzzy get dizzy

Ahhhhhhh the art of covering your eyebrows for Gaara cosplay, a true pain in the ass, but totally worth it =D Here's personally what i do :

-- Take a small bit of wax from the stick with one of those little putty knives
-- Rub the wax in a ball shape between your fingers and get it nice and warm and putty-like
-- Start from the inside of your eyebrow (near the bridges of your nose) and using the little putty knife tool (your finger can be used as well, but i find i can't get it as smooth when i do) spread the wax across to the other side of your eyebrow
-- For some reason, i find in rather hot weather the wax tends to crack and really look...not so nice X.x So i paint a few layers of liquid latex over the wax (i don't have wax sealant, though i hear it works just as well)
-- Apply a foundation that, for the love of god, matches your skin tone (or else it won't look right)
-- dust a few layers of a powder that matches your skin tone as well overtop the foundation when dry
-- Makeup sealant overtop of that (Ben Nye makes fabulous stuff)

Ta-da! =D

I have to admit, it takes a lot of practice to get it so the wax is evenly applied and smooth, it at least for me personally, tends to result in a lot of swearing from the bathroom in the morning before getting into costume XD I've covered my eyebrows for Gaara now maybe 9 or 10 times and i still haven't perfected it, but i've definitely improved. Keep at it if you don't get it on the first try, when done properly, it makes a world of difference =D Good luck!

**Taking wig commissions! =D PM for details <3**
StarDustShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
TagaSeguchi
King of DBZ Castle

Yay someone else asked before me!!!! I was wondering the same thing since my Mana outfit last year didnt look right and this year I want to have Rhinestone eyebrows for the dance at the con. would SpiritGum work over the layer of wax and latex to addher the rhinestones in place?
Triss Merigold from The Witcher
TagaSeguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
verdatum

if the latex extends firmly past the wax and onto your skin, that should work just great. Depending on the weight of the rhinestones. with small plastic ones you should have absolutely no difficulties.

Also, you'd want to try and get flesh colored liquid latex. You don't want to put makeup on the latex, or the gum won't stick well. If you can't find any latex that matches your skintone, you can color it yourself with very small amounts of liquitex acrylic paint, but this takes a fair bit of practice and you gotta buy a couple different colors to match your skintone.
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Parrotfish100
BELIEVE IT!

This brings me to my second question... changing skintone. I noticed that Gaara is a bit... pale I always turn out reddish-looking in my photos. How would I change my skin to look paler? Including my arms?

Hah! I won't have to worry about my ever-present eye-circles!!!
Uzumaki Naruto?
-Sac-Anime July-
??????
-Anime Expo, '07-
Kyuubi Naruto?
Tamaki (Ouran High)?
Kite (.hack//)?

Last edited by Parrotfish100 : 09-29-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
TagaSeguchi
King of DBZ Castle

For that I would get some theatre Pancake makeup in a shade lighter then your own skin. just make sure to blend Gaara is not a clown! Theatre makeup is the best no matter how much you sweat that stuff aint going anywhere
Triss Merigold from The Witcher
TagaSeguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroggirl
Shaving off eyebrows ends up in a mess as they gow back in. Often, the hairs grow back in odd directions or thicker in portions of the brow where that had not been the case before.
Okay... this scares me.

This wax stuff -
How long does it stay on for?
Is it sweat-resistant?
Will it crack or peel if I pull a lot of facial expressions?
Are there noticable lumps where it is applied?

Sorry for all the questions!
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
verdatum

If you do the effect properly, and cover it with liquid latex, and don't touch it (that's the hard part), it could very easily last 12 hours.

In combination with liquid latex, all the wax does is prevents the latex from seeping into your hair, making it difficult to remove. You don't have to worry about cracking or anything, because the wax can do whatever it likes, the latex will stretch to accomidate it.

Yes, there will be a noticable eyebrow bump, but actually, it's noticable when you shave or pluck your eyebrows too. If you want to take the time to sculpt out the wax, you can reduce the appearance, but that takes a bit more time/talent/practice, and really not nessisary.

The wax will melt a bit as you go through the day, and it will begin to feel a bit sweaty, but this does not effect the appearance of the effect in the slightest. Just resist the temptation to play with it.

and It should go without saying, any time you do special FX makeup, you should bring a mini makeup kit for the odd emergency touchup.
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Melanie

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply! I'll pick up some of this stuff, and have a play with it!

But if all else fails, I think I might just wax my eyebrows off (don't worry, I've been waxing them into shape for over 10 years, and they grow back just as obnoxious as ever within 2 weeks X_x)