Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 03-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
Shaft

Convention Documentary

I am doing a documentary on anime conventions. I am considering filming at acen. If I do I am wondering, perhaps some of you may be interested in being in it? It is for a film festival.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
JyuuSan
How ya'll doing?

That's a great idea for a documentary! I would definitely be interested in something like that!
Unread 03-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

If I really do go, I'm interested. :P

I've been interviewed at a con a few times before, heheh. XD

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
Menchi
Tee hee <3

might be interesting i think...will see. i know was on cincinati public tv once. i am still waitin for that tape X.x but a documentery on cons...sounds fun.
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Shaft, not to rain on your parade, but you cannot just film a documentary at the con without expressed written permission from M.A.P.S. ACen, the hotel and even if they voulinteer, the people themselves.

and I am sad to say that M.A.P.S. is not grating permission for ANYONE except their own videogrophers to tape any con events...
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

*blinks* Yumeko, what if people want to video tape stuff for extra memories aside from just photos?

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Hmm. That's news to me. I've been on three video documentaries already at past ACens (I did provide my e-mail and signature, but that was the extent of a waiver)...plus, of course, friends filming stuff, too.

Besides, I think he's talking about getting cosplayers anyway...not like he'll be stalking down the guests, right? (they're not as visually intersting ^_-)

Anyway, Shaft, should you not be allowed to film in the hotel lobby for whatever reason, gather the people you'd like to appear in your film, and we'll go outside or to one of the suites or something. Or we can go hit the McDonalds. There's other alternatives so your artistic vision doesn't have to get squashed there. ^_-
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

>*blinks* Yumeko, what if people want to video tape stuff for extra memories aside from just photos?

This is perfectly okay Michi

>Hmm. That's news to me. I've been on three video documentaries already at past ACens (I did provide my e-mail and signature, but that was the extent of a waiver)...plus, of course, friends filming stuff, too.

Besides, I think he's talking about getting cosplayers anyway...not like he'll be stalking down the guests, right? (they're not as visually intersting ^_-)

Anyway, Shaft, should you not be allowed to film in the hotel lobby for whatever reason, gather the people you'd like to appear in your film, and we'll go outside or to one of the suites or something. Or we can go hit the McDonalds. There's other alternatives so your artistic vision doesn't have to get squashed there. ^_-

correct Yui...I also know the only other people they do allow to videotape aside from staff videographers is local news (Last year FOX News Chicago interviewed a few pre con people) Again videotaping for personal use is cool.
shaft, if you want to do a documentary style type of deal without MAPS breathing down your neck you're going to have to do it away from the hotel/con site
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

Oh you can also do the filming in your personal suite, just make sure you get like written permission from the people participating...*smacks forehead*
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Okay, that appeases me anyway. It does pretty much makes sense - even though it'd be promotional on some level, it might not be representing the con/hotel as they might want to be. So it's a reasonable policy.

I wish this was downtown now....think of all the people on the street we cosplayers could startle. ^_- Maybe you could plan a photo/film shoot a week later at least for the local people and then you can pick a better location (you know, other than the tiny little spot of grass outside the hotel or the hamster tunnels or the parking garage...)
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:15 PM   #11
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

that's a cool idea Yui!
I'm all for it and I even know a few good spots downtown too
PM me later
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:12 PM   #12
Troppy
That was... objectionable

Well...if you DO get to do this, I'd love to help you in any way possible...I've been to ACen twice before, have been interviewed at the con, this year I'm hosting a panel, I got a 100+ petition for Isaac Sher, I'm a cosplayer, and um... ... okay fine, I'm just an attention whore. But I COULD give SOME useful info anyway... PM me if you need me! ^_^
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #13
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

My tip:

As long you look like a poor @$$ documenter using crappy equipment, and doesn't cause a big crowd. It seems okay...

Cause my AMV friend made an ushicon, AX, and AKon docs, and I think they didn't get in trouble for doing that.

If you want to check out the docs my "friend" made. You can check out this link..

ftp://12.249.92.191/anime_cons/

BEWARE! The files are huge, and the max UL speed is only 30kbps! And you need Divx to view them
SoulCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2003, 12:38 AM   #14
ParnsAngel
Elven Inside

A con documentary would be sweet! I'd love to help out!!

*hops in the same boat of attention-whores as Troppy* Ahoy ^_^;;

I've been in some before but no one ever shows them to me >_<

PM me if ya need me too! ^_^
ParnsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 02:38 AM   #15
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

Im planning on taping a few things for a Hellsing "movie" teaser trailer Im making for sh*ts and giggles.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote