Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Unread 09-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
Utai Mitsumo
Light to the Dark :: Krad

Lightbulb What'd You Think of the Contest?

Out of everyone that showed up to the contest, I want to know what you guys think of everyones costumes?

First I want to make it clear that this is not a thread to make people think that some of the cosplayers were cheated out of an award (my bf and I were the Krad and Dark...didn't win anything...don't care). This is not a sob story thread. Since we missed most of the contest anyway (we were in a corner in the back trying to relieve the pain in our backs from the wings all day), I want to know thoughts from everyone else!

Be nice if anything...we don't want this thread to get locked now, do we?

Anime Weekend Atlanta '12:
Seth Nightlord (Trinity Blood), Elevator Guy (Gangnam Style)
Utai Mitsumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
DizzyFan
NEO JAPANESQUE

Ari-chan got youth first place! YAAAAAAAAY!
DizzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Yoshiii
Navy Mannnnnnn

I'm upset only because I came early afternoon, and it was already too late for me to enter the contest.

That makes me mad, after all the time and money spent on my costume.

That, and I'm sure I would have won SOMETHING.

:/

....Can you guess what my AnimeUSA 2007 costume was? ^.^;;

And yes, my Jin tattoo is real.
Yoshiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
DizzyFan
NEO JAPANESQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiii
I'm upset only because I came early afternoon, and it was already too late for me to enter the contest.

That makes me mad, after all the time and money spent on my costume.

That, and I'm sure I would have won SOMETHING.

:/
Oh, you definitely would have won something. : D
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
Dragontrap

I just believe that some people who received awards actually didn't do that good of a job to deserve them (The most accurate is one of them. The costume was not near as accurate as some others I saw while I was in the contest).

And no, this is not saying I should have won anything for Manga Envy cosplay, I entered last minute for the fun of it ^^.
Dragontrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Venus Knight
Generic Catboy

Scream if you see a technical difficulty!
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
Amechan
Dancing in the Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus Knight
ahhhhhhh!
Amechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
DizzyFan
NEO JAPANESQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus Knight
And there sure were alot of them. xD
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Yoshiii
Navy Mannnnnnn

ahhhhhhhhh?

lol

....Can you guess what my AnimeUSA 2007 costume was? ^.^;;

And yes, my Jin tattoo is real.
Yoshiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 01:14 AM   #10
Katie
Co-founder of CBS Cosplay

Bust.
Unread 09-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

I have to agree with the bit about not agreeing with the Judges. I'm a little less than impressed with best of show. I guess that's just because I saw it up close though. I'm not really all that sure what their criteria was, but I saw alot of costumes that I felt were much better. I wasn't even in the show so don't think it's that I was saying I was doing better or anything.
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
Garnet216
Shinra Groupie

I know a looooot of people were really frustrated with the (lack of?) organization with the pre-judging. I ended up leaving around 12:30 because I had been sitting around since 9 am and I was afraid I was going to end up missing the entire day! I worked very hard on my costume (I was the Cloud with the gigantic Buster sword) and while I would have liked to have gone on stage with it, I also wanted a chance to - well, let's be honest, we're all cosplayers here - show it off at the actual con! From talking to others, I hear it started to pick up after that, but after we were told we could be there as late as 4:00, I was like 'nuh uuuuh.'

If anyone from the staff reads this - maybe staggering the scheduled meet times would work better next year. For instance, since they pulled all the youth out first, then the large and bulky costumes, maybe have the youth and anyone in a sizeable "I might pass out" costume arrive earliest, then the people in 'regular' costumes arrive at a later time. I've not done con staff before, so it may be that I just don't know how it works and that this simply is the best way. Who knows? But that's just my suggestion. It was pretty frustrating for those of us who arrived early to get just pushed back like that, since the whole point in arriving early was to get out of there early and go on with the rest of the con day.

In any case, I got to see some absolutely beautiful costumes while I *was* in the prejudging. Congrats on a job well done, everyone.
Costumes In Progress/Planning:
-- World of Warcraft - Night Elf Druid -- Autumn Fairy -- Twi'lek Bounty Hunter
Garnet216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

I did not attend the Masqurade or costume contest if you wish to call it either. I know folks how had bared out the long line ( which is allways that bad each year for Prejudgeing ) which say it is the worst part. Basically AWA has likely the worst organisation for a Costume Contest of Any Convention I had atteneded. I saw the Prejudgeing for AX as I was an Award winner from one of thier smaller contests in 2004 and the contestents at AX were only held for Prejudgeing at most 2 hours and that was later in the afternoon when most of the panels were over with and the Dealers room was closed. Frankly I do not understand why AWA takes so long. I hear that last year and this year if you were in prejudgeing and the Contest you basically wrote off the entire day Saturday. I do not wrote this is be mean or rude, but rather in the hopes that things can change for the better.

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Ragresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Dragontrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet216
I know a looooot of people were really frustrated with the (lack of?) organization with the pre-judging. I ended up leaving around 12:30 because I had been sitting around since 9 am and I was afraid I was going to end up missing the entire day! I worked very hard on my costume (I was the Cloud with the gigantic Buster sword) and while I would have liked to have gone on stage with it, I also wanted a chance to - well, let's be honest, we're all cosplayers here - show it off at the actual con! From talking to others, I hear it started to pick up after that, but after we were told we could be there as late as 4:00, I was like 'nuh uuuuh.'

If anyone from the staff reads this - maybe staggering the scheduled meet times would work better next year. For instance, since they pulled all the youth out first, then the large and bulky costumes, maybe have the youth and anyone in a sizeable "I might pass out" costume arrive earliest, then the people in 'regular' costumes arrive at a later time. I've not done con staff before, so it may be that I just don't know how it works and that this simply is the best way. Who knows? But that's just my suggestion. It was pretty frustrating for those of us who arrived early to get just pushed back like that, since the whole point in arriving early was to get out of there early and go on with the rest of the con day.

In any case, I got to see some absolutely beautiful costumes while I *was* in the prejudging. Congrats on a job well done, everyone.
I agree with that. I ended up having to waste a good bit of my Saturday just for prejudging.... And they could have ran things much smoother instead of a huge gaggle like they had going on. I even missed one of the photoshoots I wanted to do because of prejudging
Dragontrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
RanChan03
Cosplayer in Memfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontrap
I agree with that. I ended up having to waste a good bit of my Saturday just for prejudging.... And they could have ran things much smoother instead of a huge gaggle like they had going on. I even missed one of the photoshoots I wanted to do because of prejudging
Yea i too wasted a NIIICE bit of time on sat, i could've gone and done my ichigo cosplay for the bleach photoshoot.

Stupid me during the cosplay, i proposed to the MC, i wanted to shout to the crowd *wishes i had a mic during my miroku cosplay*

I don't know why they banned the skits, the cosplay took as long as the other cons i have been to with skits and walk ons.

Lies could be good...If they are put to good use
RanChan03 is offline   Reply With Quote