Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Closed Thread
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
GeminiVirus

Angry Rant! >.<

Alright..Went to AWA wonderful..except..why were their so many people doing naruto cosplay!!?? I thought i went to a naruto-con instead of AWA! Come on..is their any original ideas and costumes for cosplay?? Yeah naruto is nice..but isnt their something besides cartoon network for anime?

Unread 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

People cosplay what they like and if they like Naruto then that is what they will cosplay. If you don't like there being so many naruto cosplays then why don't you cosplay from another series to mix it up.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

Seriously, relax. Broadcasted anime is going to get more cosplay than any other. Fact of life.

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
GeminiVirus

I dont dislike it..just i guess people were more original then that ya know? Gahhhh...
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Amechan
Dancing in the Rain

I have to say I was a bit annoyed with the number of naruto cosplayers as well. It was out of hand. I didn't mind people who where original and mixed it up a little, but after a while it was like "come on people! can't we be a little more original?". Do something funny... like Sailor Naruto and Sailor Sasuke.

That's also the reason why I only have two Naruto pictures in my AWA 12 gallery. One is of those really cute Gaara and Kiba kids, and the other is of Anbu characters, which I was pleased because it was a fresh idea.

And if a cosplayer wasn't a naruto character, alot of the time the person was cosplaying as a final fantasy, kingdom hearts, or Full metal Alchemist character. Which also became repetitve.

So yeah. I completely understand where you're coming from.
Nausicaa - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Ayeka - Tenchi Muyo & Bulma - Dragonball
~*Tentative Con List*~
Momocon 2013, Dragon*con 2013 & AWA-con XIX
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Flowery

It's not Cartoon Network's fault. XD Naruto's been the dominant cosplay at conventions since way before it got licensced in America. I have no complaints, honestly... the show is just that good, and the more people that represent, the better!! =p
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
ookami-chan

I don't see how cosplaying as a character you like is "out of hand." I honestly don't pay that much attention to who is wearing what. I don't go to cons to whine about how many Naruto cosplays there are. :/ Honestly--who cares?

Naruto cosplayers share a special bond--which is why most of us love to cosplay Naruto. This is just one example of the wide range of crap that Naruto cosplayers have to deal with. Instead of discouraging us, it only encourages us. Naruto cosplayers have a tendency to band together to proudly display their love of an anime--and so I've always felt more at home with my fellow Narutards than with any other group. My friend and I have cosplayed KH for quite a while, and we're still planning more, but the feeling of pride we get for being KH cosplayers can't compare to the feeling of pride we get cosplaying Naruto.

People cosplay what they want. :/ It isn't fair to yell at them for being unoriginal if they cosplay Naruto. I've cosplayed Naruto, yet I've cosplayed many other things as well--even making up my own cosplay. I cosplay Naruto sometimes because I love the manga, and I love being in a big group with all my friends. Its a lot more fun to share something with a huge group of people--at least, in my opinion (as I am quite the social butterfly).

I don't think people should damper their con experiences over something as petty as what the popular cosplay is. I saw just as many Bleach cosplays as Naruto. I was too wrapped up in enjoying myself to really care.

There will always be Naruto cosplayers. We cosplay because we love the series--we don't care about how many other people cosplay it--we just care about the fun we have when we cosplay it. I don't really like it when other people try to fault cosplayers of popular cosplays for wanting to have fun. >.< Too elitist for my taste.

And AWA is no Otakon. Its not like there are 36k people in one building. Of course there would be a major influx of one or two animes. You'd be surprised by the difference between a big con and a small con. At a big con, you can't tell what the dominant cosplay is because there are so many people cosplaying. At small cons, the number is obviously reduced, so its a lot easier to notice a dominant cosplay.

I know that I'll continue to cosplay Naruto. Its fun for me--and thats why I cosplay it. <3
Seasaltnobody~
Jesse-Chan~
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
TaciturnSiren
Oi, Goku!

I agree. Its all in good fun right?! I mean I went as Sakura. See? *(points to icon)*
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

I'm not complaining about it. hell, I did it a couple of years ago. This is the way I look at it. Cosplayers cosplay to get thie picures taken. Fanboys and Fangirls will mostly only take pictures of their series. To everyone else, we don't care how good the 6th naruto is, we've seen 5 others already that day. We don't take their pictures. Why can't Narutards and other congoers just get along?
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
Ron Daniels

If it makes you feel any better, I went as a Ghostbuster XD
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
ookami-chan

Actually, cosplaying as Naruto characters before, I've gotten just as much pictures. I never really understood that argument because I never noticed getting less pictures.

Getting pictures is a perk, but its not why a lot of people cosplay--and it certainly isn't why I cosplay. I cosplay for fun, and a lot of my fellow Narutard friends cosplay for fun. Even if we didn't get any pictures, we still find ways to have a great con. Meh, but I guess thats just us. In fact, Naruto cosplayers get a lot of attention. They're one big group of silly people, which is why I love to cosplay Naruto.

Narutards and congoers do get along. However, its the congoers that start making fun of Naruto cosplayers, or harassing them for cosplaying Naruto. :/ Everyone needs to just let people do their own thing, yanno?

After all, you're paying for this thing, so you gotta make your money worth it!

(AKA: Yes, we are planning a Naruto take over of the world. Everyone will be required to wear headbands and Naruto masks and engage in random ninja warfare. Surrender peacefully, and we may just make you a jounin.)

>.>

<.<
Seasaltnobody~
Jesse-Chan~
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
london2191

Excuse you. >> Naruto didn't originate on freaking Cartoon Network and you can't blame the freaking fans for liking it or for it being on Cartoon Network.

And where the hell did you get the idea that Naruto isn't 'original'?! Newsflash, NOTHING IS ORIGINAL. Unless it was started back in the 80s, nothing is original at all. Just because loads of people like it compared to some other stuff people don't like as much, it doesn't mean it can't be good.

A lot of people here don't have access to such a great and wide variety of anime/manga so they stick to the stuff they can find. Hell, there are only two cosplay shops in Georgia that I know of. Anime Remix and Fandom.

Georgia is not Texas where they have A-Kon. We don't have Otakon or any of those other conventions that end in Kon. We're not Comic Con either *as much as I'd've loved to go there =3*. This is what you get when you come to Georgia. I couldn't even find a decent Naruto at Dragon*Con.

Naruto is very good for a lot of people who can't afford those big schamncy costumes or they just don't have the creativity, effort, or time to make a key blade or to find wings. You're probably gonna be dead soon because there's a whole shitload of Narutards on this website and considering loads were at AWA, they'll probably come here.

My babbling is done. ^^;;

(Hey, hey! I'm already a jounin! -gets out a headband and looks for potential ninjas-)
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #13
RyeCrimsonMoon
Scooter Dude = Awesome

I never had an issue with them. Were they seriously bothering you, like physically? Its probably much more obvious to someone who might dislike the show to notice 50 billion Narutos running around, but I still don't see the point of ranting about it. AWA 12 I couldn't turn around without seeing a Ed Elric, but did that stop me from enjoying myself and caring? No. ._.;

I'm making a Naruto cosplay, and if people hate me because I love the show/manga/outfit, then bite me :/
Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Robin Sparkles (How I Met Your Mother)
Shinsengumi
Yanki!

Last.FM /\ ECC Family!
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

I only have one thing to say: That Kisame was WIN.

~Ari-chan
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Really. Relax.

I joined the Narutard bandwagon myself this year when I purchased my Ino costume. I did so because Ino is not overly cosplayed and I liked the outfit.

One of the reasons there are so many Naruto cosplayers is because there are so many possible characters to cosplay. (I'm trying to convince my husband to go as Orochimaru and I'll go as Anko.) And it's popular, so I'll eventually find some new buddies.

Also, let's face it: not everyone has the hard drive space and/or broadband connection to access fansubs or the disposable income to buy over-priced DVDs. So their only access to anime is what they see on Cartoon Network.

In fact, when I see the Naruto headbands while out around town, I know I have someone to chat with.

Amusing anecdote: When I judged the M:tG prerelease this weekend, I overheard some emo kids (who weren't playing in the tournament, just hainging out in the store) talking trash about a couple of Narutards (who were). It took all of my power to keep from telling them "you really have no room to talk." It struck me as amusing and sad that one geek group that gets trashed all the time was trashing another geek group. One that was making the store money, at that.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Closed Thread