Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Disgaea

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #916
Bryguy180

Gah, how did I miss this?
I saw the thread when I did a search for Disgaea to make sure I wasn't duplicate posting, thought posting here would be a necro-post...Well, whatever.

I'm gonna be going to Anime Boston as Mid-Boss =D
Need to look up a wing tutorial or something, though. Was thinking wire frame for wings like that, but that might be a bit heavy.
Bryguy180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #917
Terranell
Princess Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envel View Post

Hum? What? Slow Envel is slow. Are we talking about Disgaea 2 Etna's wrist and ankle things?

On an offnote, I cut out the pices for Flonne's corset yesterday... I was going to bone it today but then I realized I had a paper to write. Woe is me. >_>
=X lul i'm in ur closet wearing ur costumes
(Finish D2 Etna, biznatch!)
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #918
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranell View Post
=X lul i'm in ur closet wearing ur costumes
(Finish D2 Etna, biznatch!)
D:

I PROMISE I WILL TRY! If I get enough done on Rutee and Cless before spring break, I'll see if I can whip up Etna for Animazement, seeing as I have ALL of the supplies ready to go and waiting to kill me in my sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryguy180 View Post
Gah, how did I miss this?
I saw the thread when I did a search for Disgaea to make sure I wasn't duplicate posting, thought posting here would be a necro-post...Well, whatever.

I'm gonna be going to Anime Boston as Mid-Boss =D
Need to look up a wing tutorial or something, though. Was thinking wire frame for wings like that, but that might be a bit heavy.

Wire is usually your best bet for wings. A wire base with spandex/latex/pleather or whatever you want to make your wings out of would work very well, but fitting the harness so that the straps aren't visible will be the hard part.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #919
Bryguy180

Ah, no, fitting the harness won't be a problem. I can't have any straps running across my stomach or chest because of the way Mid-Boss' jacket is, but my shoulders and arms are more than enough~

And I figure I'd make his wings out of the same materials as his jacket, since...Well, it sounds weird, but that's what it looks like they're made of - they're even attached directly to his jacket.
Bryguy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #920
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryguy180 View Post
Ah, no, fitting the harness won't be a problem. I can't have any straps running across my stomach or chest because of the way Mid-Boss' jacket is, but my shoulders and arms are more than enough~

And I figure I'd make his wings out of the same materials as his jacket, since...Well, it sounds weird, but that's what it looks like they're made of - they're even attached directly to his jacket.

We all know that the Disgaea character designers were on crack when they drew all the wings. =P

I actually mentioned the harness because when a friend was working on a Mid Boss the harness worked well until the wings were attached, and the weight of the wings made the harness fit strangely.

Rozalin, anyone? Rozalin be the winner of retarded wings? *Pokes Terranell.*
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #921
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:
We all know that the Disgaea character designers were on crack when they drew all the wings. =P

I actually mentioned the harness because when a friend was working on a Mid Boss the harness worked well until the wings were attached, and the weight of the wings made the harness fit strangely.

Rozalin, anyone? Rozalin be the winner of retarded wings? *Pokes Terranell.*
Oh god. Yes, Rozalin, why must you wear your wings so weird? :<

Speaking of Rozalin. I finally have an excuse to fix her up. Disgaea 2 group for Fanime. Rozalin, Adell, D2 Flonne, and Mid Boss(he's unlockable so he counts!) I have so much to fix on her, but I'll have help. Need to go get some pleather so I can make new wings.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #922
jaiitup
I'm Awesome

its going to be kind of difficult for me this year, I'm going to be doing Almaz from Disgaea 3. I'm currently over seas, so I have to order all my fabric online, which takes two weeks. every time. I'm also going to remake my Adell because my shirt is getting pretty torn up after four conventions. I think I'll use a spandex material this time for the shirt.
jaiitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #923
Terranell
Princess Complex

R-Rozalin wings... *eyetwitch* If I go into detail of how many problems those things gave me I think this post would get a little profane. Needless to say... they're getting remade before I compete the costume.
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #924
Tyblat
5iveYards

I haven't even started on Rozalins wings yet. And we've almost got the dress finished! I want to make them curve properly. Stupid appendages.

Why must Rozalins dress require so much fabric? Those stupid bows and ruffles. I swear, every outfit I make requires ruffles. I'm becoming a master gatherer 8D

And while i'm in the thread, anyone have any suggestions for what different materials I could use to make all of Rozalins jewlery? Or the weird hair thing?
Shutocon- Robin (One Piece)
Acen- Beatrix (FFIX), Zelda (Twilight princess)
ColossalCon- Lulu (FFX)
Otakon- Beatrix (FF IX)/???
Youmacon- ???
Tyblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #925
Terranell
Princess Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyblat View Post
And while i'm in the thread, anyone have any suggestions for what different materials I could use to make all of Rozalins jewlery? Or the weird hair thing?
I used sculpey, resin, and paperclay for various parts of the jewelry. Sculpey kinda sucks... everything else worked out just fine. <3 Resin casting jems is way easier than most people think =)
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #926
Tyblat
5iveYards

Quote:
I used sculpey, resin, and paperclay for various parts of the jewelry. Sculpey kinda sucks... everything else worked out just fine. <3 Resin casting jems is way easier than most people think =)
Foo. That's what I figured. All I have at home now is clay :P Howeverrr I did just get another job, which means money for cosplay supplies! What exactly is....paperclay?

And how did you go about making the necklace? It just looks rather large and detailed. I don't know how to make it so it's not totally stiff or falls apart immediatly.
ColossalCon- Lulu (FFX)
Youmacon- ???
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #927
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
R-Rozalin wings... *eyetwitch* If I go into detail of how many problems those things gave me I think this post would get a little profane. Needless to say... they're getting remade before I compete the costume.
So, uh, remember when I mentioned wanting to make Rozalin? I just had the most genius idea. In the artbook, there are tons of production sketches of Rozalin, some of them waaaaay different from the finished product. I should so make the horrible pink and purple production Rozalin. It would be EPICALLY GAUDY!
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #928
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:
Foo. That's what I figured. All I have at home now is clay :P Howeverrr I did just get another job, which means money for cosplay supplies! What exactly is....paperclay?
Paperclay is a light weight air dry clay you can pick up at micheals. It's very nice since you don't have to bake it and it's not as heavy as sculpey.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #929
Tyblat
5iveYards

Quote:
So, uh, remember when I mentioned wanting to make Rozalin? I just had the most genius idea. In the artbook, there are tons of production sketches of Rozalin, some of them waaaaay different from the finished product. I should so make the horrible pink and purple production Rozalin. It would be EPICALLY GAUDY!
Wait...wait...wait what? I need to see these pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livengood View Post
Paperclay is a light weight air dry clay you can pick up at micheals. It's very nice since you don't have to bake it and it's not as heavy as sculpey.
Ah ha! Sounds good to me. I need to pick up resin anyway as soon as I have the money for it (so many jems to cast!) but i'll check out the paperclay too. Buy something small and see how it works.
ColossalCon- Lulu (FFX)
Youmacon- ???
Unread 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #930
Terranell
Princess Complex

Haha, this thread lives again. You guys see my gun yet? =D I'll post a picture later~

Quote:

And how did you go about making the necklace? It just looks rather large and detailed. I don't know how to make it so it's not totally stiff or falls apart immediatly.
Yes, miss Livengood gave a better description than I could have. XD I used paperclay for the headdress because it's really lightweight and doesn't weigh down the wig too much.

As for the necklace... XD I'm not a good person to ask, I have to confess that it's kind of ghetto. What I did though was make the base pieces out of sculpey... there were three altogether, the center and the two identical side pieces. I glued my resin gems on them and left small holes at the tops of the pieces to attach them to a wire necklace base I bought from a craft store. I had every intention of making molds to resin cast the bases too... it just never happened.

Quote:
OH MY GOD!!! XD That would be so funny!