Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Shaving your legs; Pain, or pleasure^^

Ok, yesterday was the first time I've tried shaving my legs ever! It was just a practice shave, so I would know how it would feel before I do it to the convention. You know, just in case I messed up. At first, it felt really good. Everything my leg touched felt all crazy and smooth! Then, this morning when I woke up, the upper part of my legs stung in certain spots (not all over) and the area around where the hair grows was (and still is) irritated and red. Ouchies! I think the problem may have been in my method of shaving.
1. I did it in the shower
2. I used the same razor I use on my face
3. I used the same shaving cream I use on my face

I just need to know what I can do, so the next time I do it, my legs will feel AND look nice (none of this red crap^^)
Any suggestions?
Setsuna22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
TsubasaNoKami
Aishiteru!! ^^

You shouldnt do it in the shower...and they have special razors for girls...you can use any shaving cream, but you can use shampoo or some silky stuff...o.o;

TsubasaNoKami = wannabe cosplayer that can't teleport to cons.
TsubasaNoKami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

The only difference between razors for guys and girls is the grip - since women hold them differently. So there's nothing wrong with the razor or shaving cream you used, and I've never had any trouble doing it in the shower. It sounds like you're just not used to the different angle (in which case one of the "women's" razors might make it easier for you) and you ended up pressing too hard and giving yourself razor burn. Go slowly and try to make sure you aren't scraping up your skin. It may also help to use a moisturizing lotion afterwards, and to try to shave in the direction of the hair growth (so, down instead of up) to minimize irritation of the hair follicles.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Thanks! That helps a lot! The only other problem I have is it takes me a very VERY long time. It took me an hour and a half to do both legs! about 45 mins per leg. This doesn't seem normal to me.... Seeing as how girls do it all the time, I'm sure it doesn't take them that long!^^* How long does it usually take you? Or Anyone for that matter?
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
ducky_feet
Oro?

It usually doesn't take THAT long, but I guess it all comes with experience? I don't really know, I go for the wax.
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

Quote:
Originally posted by Setsuna22
Thanks! That helps a lot! The only other problem I have is it takes me a very VERY long time. It took me an hour and a half to do both legs! about 45 mins per leg. This doesn't seem normal to me.... Seeing as how girls do it all the time, I'm sure it doesn't take them that long!^^* How long does it usually take you? Or Anyone for that matter?
The length of time it takes to shave legs varies. I only shave when I have to. So if I don't plan on going anywhere in shorts or a skirt, I don't bother shaving. But when I do, I find the quickest way to do it is on the edge of a tub and using Keri cream (that stuff rules). It usually takes 10-20 minutes. But in the shower or in the tub, it can take half an hour to do (especially when you usually have to wear glasses ><). You get used to shaving after a while and it takes less time with each time you do it. (How much of your leg you have matters too, if you do the whole leg, it'll obviously take much longer than if you just did below your knees).
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
Bombay-kitty

oy, it takes me like five minutes tops! But that could be because I'm used to it...well, hope with all the advice you're getting, and considering how much razor burn hurts, I hope both your costume and the convention go over well. And the more you shave the less it will hurt and the easier it will become.
Bombay-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

::Votes for waxing::

But goddamn 45mins per leg? I mean, I can shave your whole body in 10 mins.... ::wink wink:: j/k
Keurblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:46 PM   #9
Kellie
» galactic space pirate

I use an electric razor. *___* They're dreamy. No pulling, no nicking, smooth and close shave. Takes me five minutes if that to save both legs. Although I have yummy pear shaving cream that I use every so often.
Why don't me make it rain like we used to
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Hehehe! I think the only reason it took so long, was because I (and guys in general) Have hairier legs than girls. Plus, The costume I'm doing is MAD HATTER from AS, and the outfit is thigh highs, a garter belt, and mini skirt! The thigh highs should cover up my lower, and some of my upper leg, but I need to go all the way up to the bikini line 0.o! Just in case I bend over, or something, and the skirt rides up a bit. Also, what shaving products are the best? like what brand of shaving cream, and brand of razors would you suggest? This advice rocks, btw^^
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #11
Kellie
» galactic space pirate

The best shaving cream that I've known is Skintimate. I THINK that's what its called.

Razor wise, I would go for Schick? ^^; I think that's it.
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 07:57 PM   #12
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

"female" shaving cream smells nicer (fruitier) and ish slightly more nourishing ^_^

Razor? just stay away from the triple blades. Use a double blade, it works better.
Keurblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
Sana-chan
I know, right?

When I shave I use the yellow bottled Skintimates. It says it's specifically for bikini line and underarms, but it works juss fine for legs too lol. Haven't had a cut since I started using that stuff ^_^.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #14
RichAyanami
&amp;quot;I am not your puppet..&amp;quot;

Wow... this IS good advice... last time I just shaved with an electric... It did the job XD

...although a few days afterwards, even with the electric my skin got a little irritated and red, not massively but just at the hairs. Whatever though, I'll try some of this stuff next time ^^
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #15
ReiChan
Death Incarnate

I use Gillette stuff...the Venus razor and their shave gel. 45 minutes is a long time to be shaving! But we girls can do it quickly because we shave regularly. So when we shave we're only removing 1/4 inch of growth or less (usually way less). I generally don't get razor burn, but it's more likely to happen when you shave on dry skin. You could even try soaking in the tub and then shaving. Also, try putting lotion on afterwards.
ReiChan is offline   Reply With Quote