Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Kingdom Hearts

Unread 08-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Darth Maligna
General, Yaoi Task Force

Question KH2 Riku - Help with vests?

Okay, I'm doing my first all-out cosplay for this Halloween and ACen '07, and I'm wanting to go for Riku from the end of KH2. The pants are simple enough, and the shoes shouldn't be hard, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to do his shirt and vest.

I'm a fairly competent seamstress myself, and I've got more than one experienced relative I can rope into helping me, so if anyone can rec a pattern to work from that's great, but it would be even better if someone could point to ready-made garments that I can use as a base (simply because I've got a whole pile of fabric and patterns already piled up on my floor as I type this ).

So, what did those of you who've done this costume start from?
Darth Maligna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Sorry for the length!

THE VEST IS EVIL.

><

I don't know about modding any existing clothing for the vest (although you could DEFINITELY mod something for the shirt, as it's really easy to add a zipper to a shirt if you're careful).

I used a pattern for men's shirts (Simplicity, of course), and I MUST stress to you that if you decide to do the same, MEASURE YOUR SHOULDERS. And then add about an inch of seam allowance (which is what I tend to do). The first time I made the vest, I didn't measure the seam allowance, and it was just absolutely horrible.

As well, you'll need to fold the pattern upwards a bit, as Riku's vest is quite a bit smaller length-wise than the pattern.

And adding some fabric to the armholes is also good, since the pattern for the T-shirt was designed to HANG LOOOOOOOW. ><

As for the collar, you just have to fold the corners in, add a bit of a seam allowance to both ends on both sides (because it separates from the main part at the front), and only cut out one. Speaking of seam allowances for the collar, add the same size of seam allowance to the main part in the same spot as well.

BAH. Also, I recommend that you sew the yellow part and the white part as the same piece. I tried to get the 'reversible' look, and if you don't have any previous experience with it, bad things happen. ><

I'm still in the process of figuring out how to get the yellow part on the collar as one piece (and I honestly don't think it's possible).

Sorry about the rant, but I hope it helped! I'd like to save at least one person from problems that the stupid vest can cause.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
Darth Maligna
General, Yaoi Task Force

Talking

Excellent advice, and thanks for being so specific! Having some pointers on all those little things should make this project much easier. I originally chose this version of Riku because I figured that since I'm a poor college student it would be nice to splurge on something that I could also wear out and about on a normal basis, but I've quickly come to realize that this vest just might end up being the sewing project from hell. (Of course, it'll probably seem like a prance in the meadows compared to the binding practice I'm starting on so that I won't be crossplaying as Alternate Universe C-Cup Implant Riku. I can feel the pain already. )
Darth Maligna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Either way, the vest is definitely a learning experience. I wish you the best of luck with constructing it!
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Shye
ACEN 2006 lover

Kingdom Hearts II: Riku costume (questions)

Hello everyone, I want to make a Riku costume...

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
you know after Sora finds him and he's
wearing his normal clothes and also I want to make a Organization jacket thing. Since I don't know how cold it'll be out. Better to be safe then sorry, right?

Anyways, I need help making it. I don't habe anything yet besides the pictures, but I've been getting some ideas. I just need to know how to make everything so I can get it right. My mom just wants to buy me some jeans and put the pocket things on. Is that okay to do?

Please, I really need help getting this done! I want to be Riku so badly!

Last edited by Michi : 10-04-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Shye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
X affinity
destinys.affinity

Riku is so cool, I'm making him as well! Making such a cosplay can be a little intimidating, and everyone on cosplay is all about helping, but your questions are a little broad. We won't be able to help if you just ask, "How do I make this whole costume?"
A good thing to do would be give us your experience and budget and then tell us how much you can handle. Also, ask some specific questions- exactly what you don't think you could figure out on your own (or with a little research. There are lots and lots of Kingdom Hearts threads on this site ^.^)
To start, if you don't sew, then check goodwill or the Salvation Army for clothes you can use or alter. If you CAN sew, then try searching online, at a sewing store, or at Wal*Mart for patterns you can use. And with the jeans, it's perfectly okay to just sew pockets onto store-bought pants. x3 I wouldn't be suprised if the majority of Riku cosplayers do just that. No one want to sew a whole new pair of jeans when you can simply buy them at the store!

So, if you have anymore specific questions, please put them up (but first, research the forums a little!) We'll be glad to help you out ^.^

Good luck! Can't wait to see this cosplay.
X affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Shye
ACEN 2006 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by X affinity
Riku is so cool, I'm making him as well! Making such a cosplay can be a little intimidating, and everyone on cosplay is all about helping, but your questions are a little broad. We won't be able to help if you just ask, "How do I make this whole costume?"
A good thing to do would be give us your experience and budget and then tell us how much you can handle. Also, ask some specific questions- exactly what you don't think you could figure out on your own (or with a little research. There are lots and lots of Kingdom Hearts threads on this site ^.^)
To start, if you don't sew, then check goodwill or the Salvation Army for clothes you can use or alter. If you CAN sew, then try searching online, at a sewing store, or at Wal*Mart for patterns you can use. And with the jeans, it's perfectly okay to just sew pockets onto store-bought pants. x3 I wouldn't be suprised if the majority of Riku cosplayers do just that. No one want to sew a whole new pair of jeans when you can simply buy them at the store!

So, if you have anymore specific questions, please put them up (but first, research the forums a little!) We'll be glad to help you out ^.^

Good luck! Can't wait to see this cosplay.
Well...you see we're making the top from the start and I need help getting that part down. I mean, do I add some cotten to make it look more like a vest and all?
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

How do you mean, 'add some cotton'? If you can't describe it, could you draw a crude diagram or somesuch?

Most KH2!Riku cosplayers do indeed just sew pockets onto jeans (I think I'm the only one who hasn't done this).
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
X affinity
destinys.affinity

I'm assuming you mean "add cotton" to make the vest "fluffy" (Such technical terms x3) Right, well, what you'll need to do is cut the vest pattern from a top layer of fabric (outside vest fabric) and a lower layer, which is lining (usually fleece is used <3) And then when you sew the lining and the outside layer together, you'll put cotton called batting in between (batting is the cotton you find between layers of a quilt, or a thick blanket. Batting comes in rolls in most fabric stores and Wal*Mart <3)

I hope that answers your question correctly! Batting is like flat cotton. It comes in sheets and that's why it'd be good for making your vest "puff". Please, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask ^.^ <3
X affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
CRUX
for the dance slow.

ello ello fellow Riku cosplayers :] I'm not much of a Riku-in-a-costume myself... but I would like to offer some help if I could.

Batting. Interesting that that would be brought up. dispite the fact that it is a 'flat cotton', it is still pretty poofy. Much too poofy to be used as a vest for Riku. Poofy just like a quilt.

well... there are two differences from these two random pictures I picked out.

the first one; the vest lays more parallel and flat with his body than the second one; haha I'm not sure if there's the wind-blowing effect in the second one, but it certainly seems to poof out much more too me. Batting should go with the second option if you're going for that.

However, for the first one I would use heavy silk nylon, double layered. I haven't used nylon for this sort of thing before, but last time I experimented, it is heavy enough and thich enough to give a poof feel and look if double layered. If you have ever had a nylong jacket, you will notice that sometimes the sleeves are double folded, and when you run your hand over it, there is a heavy, thick feel. :] that would be what I would go for.

.....& yet somehow I get the feeling that people wouldn't even notice or care if you didn't sew the pockets onto the jeans... do you sometimes get that feeling too? For the miniscual details of your costumes... they're usually... ignored o.o
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Shye
ACEN 2006 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by X affinity
I'm assuming you mean "add cotton" to make the vest "fluffy" (Such technical terms x3) Right, well, what you'll need to do is cut the vest pattern from a top layer of fabric (outside vest fabric) and a lower layer, which is lining (usually fleece is used <3) And then when you sew the lining and the outside layer together, you'll put cotton called batting in between (batting is the cotton you find between layers of a quilt, or a thick blanket. Batting comes in rolls in most fabric stores and Wal*Mart <3)

I hope that answers your question correctly! Batting is like flat cotton. It comes in sheets and that's why it'd be good for making your vest "puff". Please, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask ^.^ <3
Yeah....sorry...XD I'm not really good at asking questions. I get worried I'll misspell something and that everyone will hate me for it. Sorry.

I'll talk to my mom and see if that's what she wants to do. Since I'm only 13 she doesn't want me doing this on my own. Not really a good idea anyways. I get mad at it and start breaking things.
I have a bad temper sometimes....
Unread 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Shye
ACEN 2006 lover

I still need some help with.
Unread 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Some help with. . .What? The questions you asked before have been answered.
Unread 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Don't bump your thread, Shye. Just be patient.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #15
Shye
ACEN 2006 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi
Don't bump your thread, Shye. Just be patient.
I'm not bumping it....I really needed help on getting this done.

We got a new wig, but it might not get here on time and we have started on the costume yet.

Will the picture work for the coat? If we add a zipper and fix it up some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61142.jpg (13.4 KB, 0 views)