Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
liquidlight

Need To Know How To Make An Iron On Patch!!!

Ive got a new hoodie (one of those really cool sapphire lounge ones from kohls) and I want to make it more unique so I decided to put 2 patches on the upper-back of it. One of clouds wing and the other of sephiroths wing. Here is a link to the picture im going to use to make them.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32709813/

But theres a problem. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE A PATCH LET ALON AN IRON ON PATCH. Ive looked everywhere for a tutorial on making patches and I cant find anything IVE TRIED LIKE 12 SEARCH ENGINES!!! and well you get the point. Bottom line I need to know how to make an iron on patch, but it cant be on of those round patches or anything like that each wing has to be in the actual shape of the wings in the pictue for example:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33265002/

So if you know any links to patch making tutorials even if they are'nt iron on PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLZZZZZ POST THEM HERE and if you know how to make iron on patches Plz write a tutorial and post it here PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Also if you know how to fade the color of the wing from black to blue could you post any info on that as well.

Thnx in advance. ^_^

Last edited by liquidlight : 10-04-2006 at 02:09 PM.
liquidlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
kerochan
Poot de bolume up!

Well the only thing that I can think of other than making using iron on transfer paper is maybe painting it. Painting it would be really fast to do but it doen't have the 3-d effect of embriodring it on. http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutori...rinting_tricks
I found this the other day and it seems pretty easy to do.
If you were willing to get an embroidery hoop, some fabric the same color as the sweater,needle and embriodry floss and lots of patience you could make the patch that way. You would have to obviously sketch the design onto fabric or use like some computer software if you dont want to sketch it out. Make sure that the iimage is the size you want and to get a hoop big enough for that image. I would put a double sided iron on fusible interfacing to the back of the patch and the iron it on to the fabric. I've made some "iron patches " this way and they came out pretty well. It just takes lots of time lol!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=714616
Hope that helps! And good luck with your patch!
Unread 10-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
liquidlight

Iron on transfer paper? Oh yeah im using that to put a chibi vincent on one of my black long sleeves, but nah i need to know how to make an Iron on patch in the actual shape of the picture and Im not worried about learning how long it will take or anything like that i just want to know how to do it.
Unread 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Mistress_Aine
|Invisble to the World|

I have used Iron on transfer paper for t-shirts and it works very well. I really like you idea too. ^___^
Mistress_Aine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
RedRoses

If you really want nice patches done, buy an embroidery machine. It's a good investment if you'll make a lot of patches perhaps to sell or give to friends or something. =D

If you are not making a lot of patches... I agree with iron on transfer paper. That or fabric paint.
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
AJREDDSON
Banned

You could try:
Going to a patch-maker shop. Contact local Boy Scouts.
Go to an embroidery shop (often listed under ‘tailors/seamstress”).
Try needle pointing it yourself (will take a LONG, long time).
AJREDDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
liquidlight

I dont know what an embroidery machine is so I'll run a search on it, but I want to know how to make patches not just for this project but for future ones as well and Im an artist so most of the time I cant stand for others to do the work for me cuz even though I designed I wouldnt have the work to show for my labor. Its kind of an artist pride thing I wouldnt blame you if you didnt understand but the point is I need to know how to make hand-made iron on patches.
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
liquidlight

Hmm maybe I should get and embroidery machine. I suppose I could get on off of ebay. Ok then if you know how to make patches with an embroidery machine plz post any info or links here.
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
liquidlight

OK ive made my decision Im just going to put out a request to have the patches made.
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
AJREDDSON
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidlight
...I want to know how to make patches not just for this project but for future ones as well and Im an artist so most of the time I cant stand for others to do the work for me cuz even though I designed I wouldnt have the work to show for my labor. Its kind of an artist pride...
Try needlepoint, then.
AJREDDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
kerochan
Poot de bolume up!

You can do embriodery with a regular sewing machine too..Just play around with the decorative stiches on the sewiing machine. Thats what I did for my last cosplay and it went by even faster than by hand. Hand embriodry is probably your best bet though as I stated above..Good luck on whatever you decide ^_^
Unread 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
ursuss

iron on patches

Just go to my web sight and give me the information about the type of patch you want:

www.patchesbypatches.vpweb.com
ursuss is offline   Reply With Quote