Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
vaaccess

Blue Man Group Makeup

I've never really done anything like this before, so please be kind.

I want to dress up as one of the Blue Man Group members for several parties that I am going to...My question is...How do I do it? I really haven't found any good information online, but did see this on their website:

How long does it take a Blue Man to prepare before the show? What is the make-up the Blue Men put on their faces?
It takes a Blue Man approximately one hour to get in costume for the show. The Blue Men wear grease paint on their heads. It never dries. This effect allows the Blue Men to maintain that wet gooey look throughout the show.
Spirit Halloween (probably the worst place to buy this stuff) has some...But, I went to a local store and it looked like crap and I'm not sure I'd know how to apply it right even if I did try it:
http://www.spirithalloween.com/index...-3c5e2241f545/

Anyway...Any thoughts on how I'd paint my entire head blue as well as what to do with my hands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
vaaccess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Keep in mind, if you do use exactly what the Blue Man Group uses, anything your head touches will be stained blue. Anything. Other people's costumes, prop. Not saying you shouldn't, but if you do use the same stuff, be very careful at a crowded convention- if someone's pure white wings brush your head, not only will they have a blue stripe on their wing, but you'll end up with your paint job messed up!

I know, because after a Blue Man Group show, I had them "autograph" my alligator purse- one of the guys touched his head, then clamped two fingers on the alligator's tongue. The finger marks are still there, bright as the day they were put on.

I don't know if it would wash out, I didn't try, but it's worth a warning anyway! Good luck with this, I think it's awesome you're doing this!

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
vaaccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitores_Mendez
Greasepaint is pretty easy to apply, sponge it on. Before you purchase it from whatever site you'd get it from look around for applicator sponges, they should have them, not to be confused with a stipple sponge.

Baldcap application should be a no brainer as it just goes right on over their ears. Those things come with instructions, just skip the part with the ear allowance.

As for your hands you should get gloves. They don't paint their hands at all, ever. As you said they do use greasepaint, and yeah it never really sets so using it on your hands would be a disaster waiting to happen. Everything you touched for the remainder of the time in costume would get blue marks all over it.
I believe you can actually get rubber [latex] gloves in that color, though I imagine they get theirs special made. Check medical supply stores [online].
Ok...So...Where should I buy this Grease Paint and how much should I buy? I shave my head so I won't be needing a baldcap. I never thought about my ears...How do I do that? Also, what's the best way to remove the Grease Paint once it is on? BTW, the stuff I saw at Spirit Halloween didn't have hardly any information on it AND every blue container was a different blue, which really sucked because I was guessing I'd need more than half of an ounce...

As for my hands...Ok...I was thinking that in some pictures it did look like they had gloves on. I'll search around for blue latex gloves...But, in lieu of that if I had surgical gloves how would I go about painting them so they'd be the same color and be shiny like my head???

Thanks!
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
vaaccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-holla-J
Keep in mind, if you do use exactly what the Blue Man Group uses, anything your head touches will be stained blue. Anything. Other people's costumes, prop. Not saying you shouldn't, but if you do use the same stuff, be very careful at a crowded convention- if someone's pure white wings brush your head, not only will they have a blue stripe on their wing, but you'll end up with your paint job messed up!

I know, because after a Blue Man Group show, I had them "autograph" my alligator purse- one of the guys touched his head, then clamped two fingers on the alligator's tongue. The finger marks are still there, bright as the day they were put on.

I don't know if it would wash out, I didn't try, but it's worth a warning anyway! Good luck with this, I think it's awesome you're doing this!
Yeah...I was wondering about transfering paint if I bumped into something. I'll have to remember to not touch my head nor lean up against a wall at any of the parties. BTW...Let's say I do...What miracle cleaner should I bring with me to quickly clean up the mess???
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
vaaccess

BTW...If anyone has any suggestions for making a PVC instrument, please let me know. I'm googleing now and will hopefully find some useful instructions for something fairly compact and portable.
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
verdatum
Extremely registered user

You are in super double plus luck my friend!
Mehron is the official makeup supplier for the Blue Man Group, and they sell the exact stuff they use as a kit. I believe it's called "Blue Guy Kit", Greasepaint & Baldcap. If you just need the makeup, I can probably find the exact shade with a bit of research. During performances, they do wear blue gloves, though I think I've seen them use makeup for some photoshoots and such.

However, D-holla is quite right, unpowdered greasepaint comes off with a single touch, and makes a very nasty mess. Not to mention that greasepaint in that thickness would probably be pretty icky to wear. If you do go this route, soap and water will remove it from your face, but you'll have to cross your fingers on any fabric you get it on.

I myself did Blue Man Group last halloween actually. I used PAX which I powdered and then coated with a thin layer of glycerin for sheen. I was in a hurry, so I didn't take the time to match the color perfectly, but it would be a pretty easy color to make by just buying one or two of the right colors at your local craft store. I did my hands as well, but I'd strongly suggest using gloves if possible. Even PAX, one of the strongest makeups in use doesn't hold to the bottom of the hand too well. Although I regret applying the makeup in a friend's bathroom (you should put down newspaper and wear an apron, and get a good friend to do much of the application, and keep lots and lots of paper towels handy), I was quite pleased with the effect I got. (curse you runon sentences).
verdatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
verdatum

http://www.clownantics.com/mueffects.shtml
that site has two options for kits. mehron and cinema secrets. (the latter isn't a bad company, but the former is on a more professional scale). as well as a pretty decent looking pair of blue nylon gloves.

further reading hints that the true blue color is custom made by mehron for the troupe, and isn't sold to the public. I wouldn't worry though.
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
vaaccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum
You are in super double plus luck my friend!
Mehron is the official makeup supplier for the Blue Man Group, and they sell the exact stuff they use as a kit. I believe it's called "Blue Guy Kit", Greasepaint & Baldcap. If you just need the makeup, I can probably find the exact shade with a bit of research. During performances, they do wear blue gloves, though I think I've seen them use makeup for some photoshoots and such.

However, D-holla is quite right, unpowdered greasepaint comes off with a single touch, and makes a very nasty mess. Not to mention that greasepaint in that thickness would probably be pretty icky to wear. If you do go this route, soap and water will remove it from your face, but you'll have to cross your fingers on any fabric you get it on.

I myself did Blue Man Group last halloween actually. I used PAX which I powdered and then coated with a thin layer of glycerin for sheen. I was in a hurry, so I didn't take the time to match the color perfectly, but it would be a pretty easy color to make by just buying one or two of the right colors at your local craft store. I did my hands as well, but I'd strongly suggest using gloves if possible. Even PAX, one of the strongest makeups in use doesn't hold to the bottom of the hand too well. Although I regret applying the makeup in a friend's bathroom (you should put down newspaper and wear an apron, and get a good friend to do much of the application, and keep lots and lots of paper towels handy), I was quite pleased with the effect I got. (curse you runon sentences).
Excellent information! I just e-mailed the company asking what items I'd order individually to do the BMG costume since I don't need the bald cap and the accessories related to it. I'd also like to get extra paint, etc, since I'd like to do this for more than one party and don't want to worry about running out.

The Mehron kit includes powder...Should I use powder or not??? I'm not sure I understand the benefits/drawbacks and if I need to use powder, is it pretty simple or is there some technique I should be concerned about?
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
verdatum

try an experiment. put a couple drops of water on a clean surface. then shake a mess of All purpose flour on the water and wait a moment. Blow away all the excess. You'll be left with a glob of flour and water that is much harder to remove than either product on it's own. The principle is basically the same. The powder forms an interlocking matrix that shields the greasepaint from the world and vise versa.

Applying powder is not hard to do at all. You dump a whole mess of powder onto the puff, and press it into the makeup. continue until you look seriously white. Then briskly brush off the excess powder. any remaining whitespots can be illiminated by briefly blotting with a wet towel.

Applying powder will illiminate most of the shine the BMG has. That can be brought back to some extent using glycerine (local drugstore). but it still won't look the same, and the glycerine will reduce the setting power of the powder. Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to use greasepaint without powder. waaay too much of a mess potential.

Oh yeah, apply powder in a well ventilated room, breathe as little as comfortably possible while powdering, and move to a different part of the room, or another room when finished. Talcum powder is sorta bad to inhale, but not terribly dangerous.
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Suzaku7NoMiko

I remember getting one of my programs autographed by the BMG....they did thumbprints and kiss prints on the cover, and i remember it took forever to actually dry....im guessing it had to be over a month, i had to keep the program stored somewhere that nothing else would touch or smudge it!

PS their show rocks, ive seen 'em 3 times here in NY!

Visit me (AzureDragon) at:
www.lijedicom / www.newyorkjedi.com
Suzaku7NoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
vaaccess

So...The Mehron kit has a bald cap, spirit gum, etc that I don't need. Plus, I'd like to have enough stuff to do it twice (or more), not just once. Does this look like everything I need? Is there something I have too much of or something I'm missing? I wasn't sure if I needed the Powder, honestly. I was going to apply the barrier spray around my neck area to prevent it from rubbing off on my shirt...Do I need the powder and spray for that? I'm not planning on putting any powder/spray on my face/head...Knowing that it will smear if I'm not careful...

This is all from http://www.clownantics.com/
K1000 Mehron Powder Compress, Peach $1.90 ea. 2 = $3.80
K1005 Latex Wedge Sponge, 6-pack $1.80 ea. 1 = $1.80
K1007 Cotton Swab Applicator, 10-pack $1.00 ea. 1 = $1.00
K1207 Mehron Makeup Remover Cream, 4 oz. $5.00 ea. 1 = $5.00
K1214 Mehron Barrier Spray, 2 oz. $6.00 ea. 1 = $6.00
M6110 Mehron Foundation Grease, 1.25 oz. - Blue $7.50 ea. 2 = $15.00
M6255 Mehron UltraFine Setting Powder, 0.6 oz - Neutral $3.75 ea. 1 = $3.75

Total Cost = $46 shipped
Unread 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
verdatum

It's up to you if you want to risk it. just make sure no one/nothing rubs against your face, or <badpun>you blue it</badpun>

You don't really need to get the sponges from them. Any store that sells cosmetics sells them. 1.25 oz will be enough grease for two to three applications, maybe even more. depending on how thick you want to cake it on.
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #15
vaaccess

I wanted to thank everyone for their generous help. My stuff arrives today, can't wait to give it a whirl!

I do have another question, however...What do I do with my ears??? I didn't get a bald cap since I shave my head...Now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. How do I put the grease on my ears so it doesn't look stupid when the blue doesn't go all the way in???