Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Miss Diko

Costumes vs. Weight

I mean this in a normal, down to earth girl's point of view.

I don't want anyone to get offended, I'm not pointing anyone out.

I was thinking about making a sailor saturn outfit this year, but unfortunately I have a very blocky appearance due to the weight gain after several months. Since Sailor Saturn is very slender and fraile in appearance, it just wouldn't work to be her with my thick thighs and wide hips.

I was just wondering if any other cosplayers out there take this into consideration when or before making a costume.

For instance, if you are a size 16-18, would you even *think* about making a Lum costume or Naga (from slayers)?

Or what if you are overly slender? Would you make a costume of Wakka or Barrett from FF if you are short and extremely skinny?

By now everyone reading this is probably thinking, "I'm a size ____ and I'm gonna go as whoever the HELL I want!!" Understood, I just simply wanted to know if anyone personally took their weight into consideration when they think of a character to cosplay as.

One of the prettiest Princess Serenities I've seen cosplay looked around a size 18-20. But she made it work with her weight. she didn't try to make it tight and brought the materials in in all the right places.

Any feedback or comments about this is appreciated as well as enlightening.

Last edited by Miss Diko : 10-08-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Miss Diko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Lady_Sodina
Lady Sodina

Not always. Well, actually, I've never really taken my weight into consideration before deciding on a costume. I mean, I cosplayed Feena from Grandia (basically, fairly skimpy costume) before because I wanted to, and I'm not exactly a stick here ^^" Recently, however, I've made a goal to lose a bunch of weight, and then there's another kind of skimpy costume I want to pull off as sort of a reward for getting back into shape XD Lolz. But yeah, no... I dunno, I really don't let weight affect me too much. Same with height (I'm REALLY short. I'm 5'1" and pretty much done growing... well, there's a small chance I might still grow, but yeah).

Also, would love to see these pictures of the really well done Princess Serenities. I LOVE looking at random peoples costumes, especially if they're well done *^^*
Lady_Sodina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
Cherazor
I is a gud righter

Well, seeing as I'm a Sailor Saturn cosplayer myself I'm simply going to say "Go For It"! I'm definitely not your ideal Saturn since I'm a bit chubby, but I'm doing it anyway. Don't let that stop you! I actually found that if you sew the skirt right, it actually hides your stomach a bit.
Cherazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
CherryBomb
Here to devour your moon

I actually do take my weight into consideration. I'm not fat, but I am a bit curvy and stocky I guess. I would make a terrible chi for example. I know my problem areas and I try to avoid costumes that may make things look worse. If I do something, I will alter it if it needs to be. Im usually cosplaying with my skinny friend, so I usually do the curvy characters.

BTW I don't know if this counts as costume critique..I could be wrong..

Last edited by CherryBomb : 10-09-2006 at 03:55 AM.
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Yeah, this isn't exactly what Costume Critique is for. It's meant for getting opinions on costumes you've completed, not for asking about different sorts of costumes.

We've had threads like this before, but for now I'll just send this to General Cosplay Chat.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Masquerade judges only care about TWO things. The costume, and stage pressence. Size? Never an issue.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
GiaKohana
Lady of the Western Lands

I don't take my weight into consideration when choosing a character to cosplay...I do take it into consideration when I'm constructing the costume --I always try to make the costume work in my size -- if the costume fits your body, no matter what the size, the size won't matter.
GiaKohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #8
Rukia_Kurosaki

I think about my size or try to at least. I know I'm not the thinnest person out there and far from it, which is why I'm trying to loose weight for cosplay issues and to make me feel better. But yeah, I know I think about my size but seeing as hardly any anime characters are larger than a stick, I just find costumes that don't show much or are pants instead of a skirt.
Rukia_Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
BlueMew

I'm making a Sailor Venus, and well, I'm not the most stereotypical girl to put on a Sailor Scout.

Sure, my pants might be a size 6, but my shirt is a 12 thanks to being, well, "blessed" with a D cup. Thing is, I'm making sure that the upper body part of the costume isn't so friggin' tight as to emphasize the fact that I'm disproportionate. Not making the sleeves so tiny, not making the torso so tight.

With my case, I'm also half tempted to just bind slightly. I bind for my crossplays, so it wouldn't be that much different.

Good luck.

Dragon*Con 2009
CEDF Commander- Star Wars: Outbound Flight
Narcissa Malfoy- Harry Potter
Imperial Admiral- Star Wars
Generic Slytherin Student- Harry Potter
Archbishop Enrico Maxwell- Hellsing
BlueMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I know I'm too short and scrawny to play big buff male characters, but I really couldn't care less. I like big buff male characters.
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #11
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru
*I've said it before, I'll say it again, Masquerade judges only care about TWO things. The costume, and stage pressence. Size? Never an issue.*
Any judge worth their salt, anyway. ^^

A costume Masquerade should never be the equivalent of a "beauty pageant"; there are already enough of those in this world. In judging costuming, one should be judging things people MAKE and how they present them, not who they are; physically or even personality-wise.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
Any judge worth their salt, anyway. ^^

A costume Masquerade should never be the equivalent of a "beauty pageant"; there are already enough of those in this world. In judging costuming, one should be judging things people MAKE and how they present them, not who they are; physically or even personality-wise.
Okay, I need to disagree a little bit with the judging side comments. Your physical appearance is a big part of how you present your character. The costume should fit well and look good on you as well. It should be tailored to your shape and I think it should flatter you as much as possible.
For example, I saw two Sailor scouts waaaaaay back in a skit that were definitely size 20+ and the skirts didn't even cover their backsides or wear tights to smooth out their legs. Sorry, but that's VERY unflattering. Then there's been some gorgeous costumes I've seen on larger cosplayers and they were just stunning. They looked GOOD, even though they portrayed some waifish character.
I've also seen costumes on small, thin cosplayers that bagged and sagged when they should have been fitted. Well-mades costumes, but they just didn't wear right on the person. And that's very important when presenting a costume.
Whether you're big, small, in between, make sure the costume looks good on you! Make the costume fit your shape! If it means altering a design for modesty or size, I'd say go for it and just discuss that with the judges.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

In my opinion, weight should be taken into account when making decisions on costumes, but it should not be the ultimate deciding factor in all cases.

Taking from your example, characters like Naga and Lum would be a challenge for even the most supermodel-esque of cosplayers to pull off. So, those characters are *probably* not a good choice for one who is body conscious.

However, something like a Sailor Scout costume COULD be done well, even if you are a little conscious about certain areas of your body. In my opinion, as long as a costume is constructed WELL, using high quality materials, and altered/tailored to fit your unique body shape, it has the potential to look amazing.

My advice to you is to invest in good quality support garments (a bodyshaper and good tights-- I have bought both, and find them to be absolute LIFESAVERS when it comes to fixing minor figure flaws.) It is surprising how many cosplayers neglect the proper undergarments when they can do so much for both plus-sized and thinner cosplayers alike.

Also, do not be afraid to alter a costume design slightly if it flatters your figure more. Humans are NOT built like anime characters, and we need to account for that in our cosplay. When I cosplayed Subaru from .hack, I purposly cut the waistline on the skirt higher so I was exposing less of my stomach (bare midriffs make me nervous at my age, but I liked the rest of the character design a lot.) Perhaps you could make the skirt on her fuku a little longer or something if it would make you feel more comfortable wearing the costume.

So, in the end, don't let it get you down completely if you really like the character and want to cosplay her. Just figure out ways you can work around the things that make you uncomfortable, and (like they say on Project Runway) "Make It Work."

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
Trajedy
DOOMBITCH

>.>;

I freak out about how well I look for a costume all the time, and I'm pretty tiny. 5'4" and about 120 pounds. I guess I just have that whole 'Holy crap, I'm not a stick so this is gonna look like crap on me' syndrome... Last year at Katsucon I was at my 'heaviest' at about 125 pounds, so I planned only costumes that would cover my tummy... a far cry from the Rikku I did a year earlier. n_n;

All I can really say is that you have to do what makes you comfortable. Regardless of how many people say 'size doesn't matter, go for it!' If -you- don't feel like you would be happy with the end result, don't do it. You'll only have wasted time, money and energy on making a costume that you're not as happy with as you could be. Just don't get down on yourself for it. You can still make a wonderful costume, just perhaps find someone you're more comfortable with cosplaying?
Trajedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

Yeah I am a size 16 (well 9-10-11 in adult sizes) and I do pick costumes that aren't nearly so raunchy because I'm careful about it. If I were to pick something that shows skin, such as let's say "Devil Hunter Yohko" I'd do it anyway and I don't care what other people think. I AM careful about how I lay it out so it looks good on me, and if nothing works--use a CORSET. Although they don't work that much because the boning is going to fit to your body's curves anyway so I don't know what really will work. That's how I erm, take weight into consideration.

I also cosplay a lot of Final Fantasy. Now those girls there show a lot of skin...so I either go with it, which is the usual case, and then there's the not-so-really-often-used adjustments I use, such as the Dion Rogers Rinoa or Battle Quistis Trepe (even though she only has a small amount of skin). In those cases, I wear a similar-colored shirt to go with the costumes...especially a black tube top with the Dion Rogers Rinoa. With Warrior Rikku...haha...it's funny because it's the LOVE HANDLES that stick out of the costume, regardless so it's like hey, whatever! Just go with what works, that's my opinion.
♥◌°

Last edited by Chibi Plush Toy : 10-09-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Chibi Plush Toy is offline   Reply With Quote