Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

Photos and Costume Tutorial

LAST UPDATED: 4/29/08

I thought I'd put this together considering I get PM'd about it every other day and I think Ami Yuy and I are going to go crazy from repeating ourselves, especially since the system is rather complicated. So here you go!

HOW TO UPLOAD REGULAR PHOTOS:

- Go to the photos section of this site by clicking the "photos" button at the top of the forums page.

- Click "upload photos" to add your photo. Please note that photos must be smaller than 640 pixels on the long end and in .JPEG format to be uploaded. Also please note that artwork, official art (even as a part of a CG or as a reference image) or photos of people not in costume (for example, photos of voice actors at a convention) are NOT allowed.

- By default, you have a drop-down menu titled "associations" which allows you to select one of two galleries when uploading: "default" or "non-cosplay". For cosplay images, you can select "default." If you are uploading a non-cosplay image, select "non-cosplay" from the drop-down menu. Although the general policy is to avoid non-costume images, you are allowed to upload FIVE non-cosplay images (and only FIVE) as long as they are put into the non-cosplay gallery. The NO ARTWORK RULE STILL APPLIES, even if it is your own artwork. Example: Pic of you at your prom = good. Pic of a fanart you did of Ed Elric = bad.

- After you have entered all your photo information, click upload, and the photo will appear as a thumbnail on the photos page. Since the system has to generate a thumbnail, it takes a few minutes for the photos page to update. Please be patient and keep hitting refresh.

- If you get an error message when trying to upload that says "File is not a photo!" It means the site doesn't think it is in JPEG format. Check your file extension, or try changing it to .JPG (or vice versa) as sometimes the filter can be touchy.

TO EDIT OR REPLACE PHOTOS:

- Go to the specific photo's page and click the "edit photo" button. Here you can replace the image with a new one without losing comments or views, and edit the photo's title and other information.

TO DELETE PHOTOS:

- Go to the specific photo's page and click the "edit photo" button. Here you can select the option to delete the image.

HOW TO MAKE GALLERY ALBUMS:

If you have a lot of photos, you probably want to organize them into albums. To do this:

- Go to the photos section of this site by clicking the "photos" button at the top of the forums page.

- Click "gallery admin" at the top of the page, and then "add new album." There you can enter its title and info. Below that, there is information regarding photoshoots. Skip that part for now and click "add the album." Your album will now appear on your gallery page, and as an option in that "gallery association" drop-down menu you see when you upload photos, along with "default" and "non-cosplay." To add photos to your album, select it from that drop-down menu when you upload the photos.

- If you want to move photos you've already uploaded into an album, just go to the specific photo's page and click "edit photo." Here the drop-down menu will reappear and you can select the appropriate album.

- Note: at this time, there is NO WAY to select which photo in your album becomes the album thumbnail. It will always be the most recent photo uploaded to the album. This may become an option in the future, but is currently not available.

- There is a glitch which sometimes occurs when you delete a photo which is also an album thumbnail which causes the album thumbnail to turn into a broken link or a black box. To fix this, take the next most recent photo in the album (the one which should have become the thumbnail) and move it into your default gallery, then back into the album it belongs in. That should fix the thumbnail.

HOW TO ADD COSTUMES AND COSTUME PAGE PHOTOS:

STEP ONE: MAKE A COSTUME ENTRY

- Go to the costumes section of this site by clicking the "costumes' button at the top of the forums page.

- Click the "add costumes" button at the top of the page and then "add a new costume." For example: Yuna. Here you can enter all of the costume's information, and upload a "costume icon": a 200x200 photo of YOU in the costume with NO TEXT OR ARTWORK which will represent your costume. Click submit.

- Note: you CANNOT upload photos to the costume page using this interface, so don't try, no matter how much it might appear that way.

STEP TWO: ASSOCIATE PHOTOS WITH YOUR COSTUME

- To get photos of your Yuna costume to appear on your shiny new Yuna costume page, you have to "associate" your photos with your costume. To do this, return to the photos section of the site, and either upload your Yuna photo, or edit one which is already uploaded to your gallery.

- In the drop-down menu under "associations" and titled "costume," select the costume you want to associate the photo with - in this case, "Yuna." Click submit. The photo will now appear on your costume page.

- Repeat this process for all costumes and each photo you would like added.

- Note: Because of this new (and much easier!) association system which associated individual photos rather than albums, your photos do NOT have to be in the same album in order to show up on the same costume.

HOW TO ADD EVENTS TO YOUR COSTUME PAGE:

- To get events you wore your costume to to appear on the costume page, you must first add the event to your planner. For information on how to do that, please refer to the next section.

- Once your event is added, return to the costumes section and click "my costumes." Click the "events" tab underneath the costume listing, then click the little plus sign to the left of the event you would like to add to the costume.

HOW TO ADD EVENTS AND EVENT PAGE PHOTOS:

STEP ONE: ADD AN EVENT TO YOUR CALENDAR

- Go to your user cp by clicking the "account" button at the top of the forums page.

- Click "planner." To add an event, choose the year it took place, and then scroll down until you find the event listing. For example, I attended Anime Boston 2007, so I would click the year 2007, and go down the list until I found Anime Boston. Click the small "plus" sign to the left of the event to add it to your calendar.

STEP TWO: ASSOCIATE PHOTOS WITH YOUR EVENTS

- To get photos you took of Anime Boston 2007 to appear on the Anime Boston 2007 event page, you have to "associate" your photos with the event. To do this, return to the photos section of the site, and either upload your Anime Boston photo, or edit one which is already uploaded to your gallery.

- In the drop-down menu under "associations" and titled "event," select the event you want to associate the photo with - in this case, "Anime Boston 2007." Click submit. The photo will now appear on the event page.

- Repeat this process for all events and each photo you would like added.

TO ADD EVENTS TO COSPLAY.COM'S LISTING

- If you do not see your convention or gathering on the list, go to the planner and click "submit event" to request it be added. Be sure to fill out all the relevant information.

TO EDIT OR DELETE EVENTS:

- Go to the planner, and locate the event you wish to delete. Click the red trash can to remove the event, or the pencil and paper icon to edit the event.

OTHER PHOTO-RELATED DIRECTIONS:

HOW TO UPLOAD AN AVATAR (FORUM ICON):

- Click "account" at the top of the forums page.

- Click "forum avatar" in the column on the left.

- Upload an image no bigger than 150x150. UNLIKE COSTUME ICONS, this icon can have text, or be an image other than you in your costume. It can even be *eek* ARTWORK. This is the only time artwork is okay.

HOW TO UPLOAD A PROFILE ICON:

- This icon is different from your forum avatar, and appears on your profile page and is used when you make comments on other user's photos. To upload, click "account" and then "profile icon."

- Here, you can upload a 200x200 icon. Unlike forum avatars, your profile icon MUST be of YOU, and contain NO TEXT, BORDERS, ARTWORK, or be unrelated to you or cosplay.

HOW TO PLACE AN IMAGE IN YOUR SIGNATURE:

- You can't do it as Admin has disabled it because it is no longer allowed at cosplay.com. It has been disabled for years, and I doubt will ever return. Also be aware that signatures may not be larger than 8 lines of text, INCLUDING SPACES.

HOW TO ATTACH AN IMAGE TO FORUM POSTS:

- When replying to a post, click "go advanced" at the bottom of the thread. This setup will give you an option for uploading an attachment to your post.

HOW SHOWCASE PHOTOS ARE SELECTED:

- Admin and sometimes the moderators choose exceptional cosplay photos to be "showcased" on the front page of the photos section. You cannot nominate photos, nor campaign to have yours chosen. It's more like a pleasant surprise.

Hope that was helpful.

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con

Last edited by *Shiva* : 04-30-2008 at 12:16 AM.
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

THANK YOU!!! I've been tempted to write one up but never got around to it.

*glomps*
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I went ahead and made this a sticky. Yah we do get a lot of posts about this topic.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Eda
*::Rabby On Da Moon::*

Thank you very much! I've just looking for how to do it!
Eda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Proverbman
Proverbial User

Yessss thank you*Shiva*..that was the most difficult interface for upload and associating pictures to a costume. I know the admins could find a much better PhP coding to make the user interface easier and more intellectually plausable. however, I only have one smalll problem left.

Even though I have associated the pics correctly, the number of photos in the "My costume" section says --- as opposed to the actual number of pics in the album. Any suggestions on that?

Currently working on:
Raijin (Kingdom Hearts II) - 60% complete
Kurogane (Tsubasa Chronicles) - 0% (T^T)*sniffle*
Proverbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbman
Even though I have associated the pics correctly, the number of photos in the "My costume" section says --- as opposed to the actual number of pics in the album. Any suggestions on that?
Hmm. . . taking a look at your costume profile and gallery, I see that you have the Auron gallery, but the photos are not appearing on your Auron costume page. I can only assume that means it has not been associated properly. Click "Album Admin" on your gallery page, and click the number button next to your Auron gallery to edit it. Re-check the association drop down menu to make sure it reads Auron, and save your changes.

Also, the big reason this is so complicated is because Admin is still in the process of developing the costume section - as is, it is essentially a beta version, and as such it remains somewhat separate from the gallery section. They are going to be less complex in the future, as I understand it.

Unread 10-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Cell34
{SXE} Project Mayhem

Thanks

Thank you, this was driving me insane. Can't believe there isn't a more user friendly way of doing this *L*.

Except guide though, I appreciate it very much. Thanks again.

Chad
(Boy of Destiny)
Cell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
sarah mudo
proud eurotrash member

I was just wondering how to delete a photo that has been up loaded. I accidently put up doubles. Also I want to re upload my photos under the appropraite costume folder and get rid of them from my un categorized photos
sarah mudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah mudo
I was just wondering how to delete a photo that has been up loaded. I accidently put up doubles. Also I want to re upload my photos under the appropraite costume folder and get rid of them from my un categorized photos
1) Click on the photo.
2) Click on the "Edit" button
3) Make your changes.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
sarah mudo
proud eurotrash member

Thanks, I cant believe i didnt see that, woo long day, take care
sarah mudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
FFrikku
needs a life

n00b question: I try and try and try to upload my pics, but they're always too big. how do i get them smaller?

Nekocon
Feliciano Vargas (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Chibitalia (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive ("Smile" version) (Kuroshitsuji)
Meiko(Vocaloid)
Magnet Meiko (Vocaloid)
FFrikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

It depends on the photo editing program you're using. Tutorials for your program should help you out if you search "resizing" or "pixels."

In general, what you're trying to do is change the number of pixels in your photo - usually when taking it right off a digital cameria, the pixel count is in the thousands. Just redo the numbers so they are 640 pixels or under for height and width.

Unread 11-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Sesshomaru 12
TO NARNIA!! *trip*

Yeah i have a 200X200 photo but it says it must be a jpeg photo for it to work. Can somebody help me on wut to do.

thank you (this has been bothering me for 3 months now)
- Fanime
- Anime Expo
Sesshomaru 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #14
Metanoia

As far as image compression goes jpg is the best for websites. You should get that photo converted into a jpg because the quality of it will probably be better, and then you should have no problems putting it on cosplay.com

Even windows paint will save JPG files if you dont' have another image editor.

AVCon, yay AVCon!
Metanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
yiwa
DOLLISM

I think the uploading process is so user unfriendly....thank you so much
yiwa is offline   Reply With Quote