Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Nan Desu Kan

Unread 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
darth_teca

NDK Costume and Cosplay Contest 2006

First of all, I would like to thank Katie/Lady Neese for all the the hard work and improvements that were made to the competition by her. NDK is a growing con and the cosplay contest is finally beginning to reflect that. Since NDK doesn't have a talk-back session for reviews, this thread is to give both positive and negative things about the contest that can be used by NDK cosplay staff. Again, this is for CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, this is not a rant place. If you really feel the need to have to rant about something, please make a new thread or turn it into something constructive.

So here are my things!

Pros:
-Craftsmanship judging: OMG, IT WAS THERE!! PRAISE THE ANGELS! The fact that there was craftsmanship judging was fantastic and a HUGE step forward. Costumes that the untrained/inexperienced person is not that interesting can still be amazing costumes that DERSERVE recognition. Last year, the Saga Frontier girls would have not been recognized at all for the amazing work that they did. It is a well-known fact that because of the nature of the judging at previous NDK's, mechas and mascot/furry costumes win only because they look better on stage. Recognizing that there is more to it than just that is wonderful.

-Green Room Badges: I thought this was rather brilliant. Not only did it keep random people from being in the Green Room, it was an easy way to determine the order you were in. If you forgot your number, there wasn't any frantic sheet checking, you just simply looked at the badge number given to you.

-Water and Staff: The staff was simply amazing at making sure everyone had water and that the cosplayers were told when was the last five minutes they should probably go to the bathroom. I might suggest having a bullhorn or something so that the poor people didn't have to scream so much, but I always fealt very well taken care of.

-Schedule: The schedule was very clear and that was really nice. Except for Piano Squall running over, it seemed to be well under-way.

-Online Sign-up: Brilliant. I am a BIG fan of this because it makes the sign up process slightly less insane. It also creates a nice balance of people who can register way ahead of time because they are super dedicated and the people who do it on a whim.

-Divisions: Expanding the class divisions was great. It helped split up the people more than before and give a more fair contest. With people moving up the divisions, it makes it so the same people don't keep winning over everyone else.

-More detailed rules: On that note, the rules in general were a vast improvement. They left less room for interpretation and gave a better idea of what was going to happen and how things were decided.

Cons:
-Craftsmanship: It needs to be expanded to all of the divisions. There is a HUGE difference between a beginner who lined their Integra costume and one who tapes together a mascot costume. In the current NDK system, the mascot costume has a better chance of winning, just because it looks better on stage. Craftsmanship needs to be supported at the "bottom of the totem" to help promote the over-all improvement of the entire Colorado cosplay community. An option is to make it optional for the lower levels. It will eat up a lot of time for the craftsmanship judges but it is worth it for giving people the recognition they deserve.

-Definition of Masters Catagory: Masters catagory needs to be like the other catagories and have an award requirment to enter. Previously, NDK did not do this with Masters because Masters was basically like compeating for the "Best of Show" award, so anybody could be in it. However, now that there IS a Best in Show award that everyone is elligible for, Masters needs to become a class where the most experienced go to compeat with each other.

-Cosplayers as Judges: While I think it is great that the guests get to be judges, you would not ask someone who doesn't have experience in baseball to be an umpire. There needs to be cosplayers who are also judges who can look past the fact that a costume is big and be able to spot a well made and detailed costume. While craftsmanship is a step in this direction, costuming and cosplay is also about stage presentation. Experienced cosplayers KNOW how to put on a good skit and how to show off a costume and can appreciate it when it is done particularily well that others might not realize. There needs to be a balance and CO has no shortage of wonderful cosplayers who could be a judge. One option might even to offer the winner of the Masters competition has the option of being a judge at the next NDK.

-Award Distribution: One of the biggest problems with NDK is that two or three people seem to win all of the awards. It is important to support and reward as many people as possible without going over-board. While judge's choice awards are hard to control(although I think it is possible), there shouldn't be groups winning Best in Whatever and Best in Show. Best in Show is the best out of EVERYONE, so ofcourse they are going to be the best in their group.

-Judging System: The olympic style judging system really should be gotten rid of. There are SO many variables in cosplay that change things, not to mention it is completely dependent on what the other entrants have. How can you possibly decide what number to give on one costume until you've seen how good it is compared to the others. Not to mention that the numbers are being given mostly by people who don't know the slightest thing about costuming in general.

Thank you for a great NDK!

Evil is only evil in the eyes and minds of those who don't understand it.

LiveJournal:http://darth-teca.livejournal.com

Last edited by darth_teca : 10-09-2006 at 06:10 PM.
darth_teca is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_teca

-Cosplayers as Judges: While I think it is great that the guests get to be judges, you would not ask someone who doesn't have experience in baseball to be an umpire. There needs to be cosplayers who are also judges who can look past the fact that a costume is big and be able to spot a well made and detailed costume. While craftsmanship is a step in this direction, costuming and cosplay is also about stage presentation. Experienced cosplayers KNOW how to put on a good skit and how to show off a costume and can appreciate it when it is done particularily well that others might not realize. There needs to be a balance and CO has no shortage of wonderful cosplayers who could be a judge. One option might even to offer the winner of the Masters competition has the option of being a judge at the next NDK.

-Award Distribution: One of the biggest problems with NDK is that two or three people seem to win all of the awards. It is important to support and reward as many people as possible without going over-board. While judge's choice awards are hard to control(although I think it is possible), there shouldn't be groups winning Best in Whatever and Best in Show. Best in Show is the best out of EVERYONE, so ofcourse they are going to be the best in their group.
Mind you, I wasn't in the contest this year, but I did watch the results. These two things are indeed what I would suggest you take a look at in the future, and DT did a great job pointing these things out.

As someone who's run cosplay in the past, I am a great believer in sharing the love. By only awarding a few, you run the risk of creating a climate where people feel there is favoritism and ringers, whether these things come into play or not.

NDK does have this problem, based on several side conversations I heard this year that surprised me. Maybe this is something to take a serious look at as you formulate your awards for next year.

IE: winner of last year's masq being next year's judge. We did that at AI, with varying success. It's worked, and it's failed. Still, it is a nice way to reward your winning participants, AND it's a nice way to get them out of the contest next year, so someone else has a chance to win best of show.

I loved the video game award, the JPop award, and the historical award, by the way! Those were nice touches, and unlike judges choice, they represent the choice of a con subgroup, not individuals.

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
lilacwire
Your Little Life Raft

I'm going to add on to Mandi's entry.

I, too, am a big fan of the competition being expanded into a "everyone judged for craftsmanship" type of deal. There was definitely Master's level work in the Intermediate category, and I would have like to seen those cosplayers bumped up.

I'm going to break down my list like darth_teca did, just to help me figure out what I want to say.

Pros -

1. I agree with a lot of darth_teca's comments. Great care of the cosplayers by the staff, green room badges, the start of craftsmanship judging. Bravo! It's very exciting for NDK to introduce craftsmanship especially. We've all been waiting for that. ^^

2. Audience Favorites - it's fun to see the audience get to pick their favorite costumes and skits. It's a strength NDK has and I hope they keep it in addition to any other changes they make. I think it keeps the audience involved and having a good time finding the entry that wowed them the most.

3. Judging half-time. I'm glad NDK was not adverse to us getting up and being able to pace around during half-time. 'nuff said.

4. Diversity of other awards - I love that NDK gives out a traditional kimono award, video game award, and J-rock award. I think it helps the community strive to make unique and excellent costumes. I'm glad this aspect of the masquerade was also kept.

Cons:

1. The greenroom was too small. I know this seems nitpicky, but for cosplayers to be standing for over an hour could truly be a problem for someone with high heels, a hot, or heavy costume. A large green room is truly a blessing. If there's any way to make it bigger for next year, I think everyone would appreciate it.

2. Agreeing with darth_teca here: too many awards for certain individuals. Because the Masters were the only ones competing for craftsmanship, a lot of awards got placed on the same people, including my partner and myself. I would have liked to see this spread out a bit more to recognize more of the Colorado cosplay community for there were some very wonderful costumes that had no recognition. I know that is because NDK is based a lot on presentation, and think it has a lot of room to grow.

3. Skit & Walk-On Diversity. I understand that something like this may be several years down the line, but it would be wonderful if there was no difference between skits and walk-ons. I.E. skits and walk-ons were all judged for craftsmanship and all eligable for craftsmanship awards. Skits would also be eligable for presentation awards given by judges and not just audience favorite. That way all walk-ons could include music if they so wished (which I was not aware that Masters could have) and add more emphasis to their stage presence.

4. Masters. On the NDK website it is mentioned that in-progress photos would be required for masters, and I was under the impression that this contest was also for people who had won a certain number of awards or who had a recognized level of craftsmanship. I was wrong (the NDK site has no mention of needing to have won anything before), and kind of curious why there would be regulations for beginners and intermediate, but no requirements for proof of previous experience/wins for Master. I would hope for a clear division of levels and the allowance for any craftsmanship judges to move people up or down into different categories based on their judgement of the costume level. This would continue to equal out the competition in terms of skill.

Also, I was asked for a reference picture for my costume, but no in-progress shots (I brought them anyway). I think it would help for craftsmanship judging if all entrants knew a year in advance they needed to be documenting their work. That would make craftsmanship judging a lot better for any judge (and entering a commissioned costume harder for a contestant).

5. Microphones on stage. It's hard to hear and keeps someone posed in the middle of the stage rather than using the area to show off their costume. Requiring a cd with the music or words is easy - anyone with a microphone and a computer can mix music, or get help doing it.

6. Limiting the number of entrants in each category. Instead of having only 15 slots for beginners, intermediate, etc., what about opening up the competition to anyone who wanted to enter until all 75 slots were filled? This would mean that people who belonged in masters wouldn't be stuck in intermediate if all masters slots were filled, as I know happened to a few people. Also, this would help the divisions remain equal.

I hope this list doesn't come off as "angry." I have the utmost respect for the work done this year and I know that changes cannot be brought around in one day. The NDK Masquerade staff did SUCH a good job. I want to give kudos to everyone for their hard work. I respect it a lot. As darth_teca said, everything mentioned here are my initial opinionis and critiques from the cosplayer's POV. Maybe at the next con there can be a masquerade round table for more people to give constructive feedback.

Last edited by lilacwire : 10-09-2006 at 05:08 PM.
lilacwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_teca
I couldn't agree more! It was wonderful that two groups kept getting awards, showing that they really did a good job, buuuuuuuuuut...after seeing that only those two groups out of the tons was rather silly.
My partner was a first time cosplayer watcher, and she got very mad that the two groups kept winning. As she said 'Wait, didn't they already win three of those little figure things? There must be a lot of awards...'

And I would like to add in my own two cents if I may- *stands on soapbox* I, and my group, thought that there should have been a second place cosplay skit award and a audience favorite one too. Just having first, and the screwy judge vote was disapointing on our part. Didn't they have a second place last year? On the other hand- It made sence. Why have three awards when there were only three skits? But still...a second place wouldn't have been bad. *gets off soap box*

But still!! We had SUCH a fun time preforming. And to the Bleach group- I'm glad you guys won, I almost pissed myself. XD
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
lilacwire
Your Little Life Raft

Kakashi - the reason there's such a distribution of awards is based on the olympic grading style. Each judge rates the cosplayers as they cross the stage, so if they really like a costume, they give it a high score. Then they also pick it as their judge's choice award. So several awards end up going to the same groups since they made such a good presentation the judges.

As for those of us in masters - we were the only ones eligable for craftsmanship, so the masters/craftsmanship awards were passed around a very narrow group of people. This is why I would like to see craftsmanship for the entire group of entries, as well as the craftsmanship judges in on the skit awards as well. This would help diversify the awards. Then there could be 1st & 2nd Novice, 1st & 2nd Intermediate, 1st & 2nd Masters, etc. Best of show could be the overall best and thus be bumped up from 1st in its class and then move up the 3rd best to become 2nd. I hope that was clear.

Plus, if the judges would discuss their choices and not give judge's choice awards to people who were winning craftsmanship or other major awards, it would help too.

Tell your friend that the cosplayers who won are aware of the "award-heavy wins" and we're hoping to make an impression on the NDK masquerade staff to keep improving the masquerade. I'm so glad there was the start of craftsmanship judging this year and I hope it can be spread to everyone.

Last edited by lilacwire : 10-09-2006 at 05:27 PM.
lilacwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Tenshinoitami1
Insane cosplayer

I'm from Virginia and have gone to many cons on the East Coast and entered in a few different cons' costume contests. When I entered teh contest at NDK I was awestruck at how it was handled. I'll do my best to list the differences.

-Hall costume contests vs walk ons
At the cons I go to they have hall costume contests for firday and saturday so those who wish to NOT go on stage can enter a costume, also if someone wants to enter more than one costume at the con they can. These are pre judged and there is no limit on how many beginners etc slots are avaible, you just enter and get a judging time. At judging you are asked about how you made your costumes etc, adviced to have reference pictures because lets face it, not eveyerone knows EVERY anime or game out there, ESPEICALLY when it comes to jrock. Some cons take a digital picture of your costume for judging references.

-Skits
When I heard there were only 8 skits I was like "WHAAAAAAAAT!?" at my cons we have like 20-30!!! and very few walk ons. We also do not have an audience judging system so we have a lot more awards to give out, however having an aditional audience award would be cool.

-Craftamanship judging
When I found out I was in teh contest (I was on teh wait list) I was told to be in the green room at 5:30, I was like "You don't give judging times? Do I bring my reference pictures?" They said nope, just show up. I was all O__________O because that was so obsecure to me. I entered a jrock costume which of course would be VERY UNKNOWN. Without my reference pictures how do you know I got it right!?!? I had come prepared with all these pictures and ready to explain allllllllll the little details I had in my costume (which I am oh so proud of).

-Divisons
I was going to enter as beginner gecause I thought that's what I was, I thought I didnt have enough awards to be in intermeddite (found out that I do though xD;; ). When it came to my turn to sign up for the contest I was told there were no more beginner slots and asked if I wanted to enter as intermediate. I was very confused that was I allowed to do that since I was under the impression you had to have so many awards to be considered in a certain divison. When I started to ask about having my costume judged they said only masters has craftsmanship and asked if I wanted to be in masters. Again GREAT confusion as I feel I dont belong anywhere near masters!

The contest itself though was SO MUCH FUN! I am soooooooo glad I got a spot in it! I met some really fun people backstage. The constant supply of water was GREAT as I thought I was going to DIE in all that vynil and layers I had on x.x And the supply of straws XD that was wonderful too for those costumes with lots of makeup etc.

I was -VERY- happy that there were special awards for the kimono, video game, and jrock. You have NO IDEA how happy that made me! Usually jrock gets pushed aside in these contest because lets face it, its a subgroup that not everyone is aware of. Anime and game costumes tend to get the awards more because they are more known. If you look at my gallery it may appear I only do jrock (that's not true! go look at my cosplaylab) but I have tons of anime costumes and have entered with those before as well so it was really nice to have that reconition specfically for jrock.

All in all I had a ton of fun and if I make it to NDK again next year I'll definate be entering again!
Tenshinoitami1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

*hugs Tenshi*

Congrats again!!! You really deserved that one (Kaoru would be proud) and, yes, the JRock award made me super happy because it rarely gets recognition. T.T

Though... I have to wonder along with her. Why is craftsmanship limited to Masters catagory? This was my first NDK and I had to be a little more than dissapointed with that little issue. As a person who spent half a year and literally hundreds on my costume (but was in the beginners catagory) I felt a liiittle bit cheated.

My costume was extremely obscure (I love all of you in the entire con who recognized me! Both of you XD) and I honestly felt a little biased against due to this. (Seeing as the two costumes that did win in the catagory were more well known)

Is it just me, or were most of the winning costumes more mainstream and recognizable? (Besides the specials ^.~)

I'm definately not going to let this get me down, when I went on stage the collective "Oooooooooooh" more than made up for it XD (I could've died right there) But I think references are a REALLY good idea. Just to be a little more fair to us super obscure people.

(For any reference, I was the blue multi-layered kimono clad girl. *points to avatar*)

Also, I suggest implementing the AWA awards system. ONE award per costume! PLEASE.

~Ari-chan
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Lady Neese

Thank you to everyone for the feedback and to those who have yet to comment. One of the only ways for me to know how to improve the contest, besides me looking at the behind the scence stuff, is for your feedback. It has been an interesting year, I just took over as the head of cosplay at the end of July/beginning of August, at the same time I was fininshing school and an internship and starting a new job. While I thought I was pretty organized for the contest there are definatly some things I would like to change and your comments help me decide what worked and what needs to be worked on. So once again thank you guys for the constuctive feedback.

Katie
Lady Neese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
darth_teca

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief

Though... I have to wonder along with her. Why is craftsmanship limited to Masters catagory?
Craftsmanship is something new for NDK. The staff for this contest was completely new, so they are trying to introduce things into the contest. While those of us who have been to many contests before, craftsmanship is normal but there are those who have never dealt with that before. I think that the staff was just trying to break in the idea and see how it went. Hopefully now, it can be extended. ^.^

Quote:
Is it just me, or were most of the winning costumes more mainstream and recognizable? (Besides the specials ^.~)
Yeah, that's the problem with having judges who are not cosplayers. If you really don't know much about making costumes or putting on a skit, it is natural to get more excited about costumes that you recognize and know the characters for. So "popular" characters and those that are huge and vissually impressive have an advantage.

Evil is only evil in the eyes and minds of those who don't understand it.

LiveJournal:http://darth-teca.livejournal.com
darth_teca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

This year was far improved from previous years, and I commend the hard work of all the cosplay staff and helpers. You all did a wonderful job, and we love you for it! We enjoyed ourselves so much, and all the cosplayers were just AMAZING!

I sit in the same position as Lilacwire, as my group was the other in the masters category that was honored multiple times. Regarding that, I was one of them who last year suggested that they figure out a system in which they should award only ONE (at the very most, two, mostly regarding the "special" awards) awards per entry. It can be as simple as a pack of sticky notes or a whiteboard and a marker... the judges are intelligent people, they will figure it out. So that's a point to work on. We're still completely honored and grateful for the awards we did win... and being that there were three (and then some) people involved with the whole project... well, maybe it kinda evens out a little? XD

A+
The institution of the levels system.

C-
The application of the levels system. There were a great deal of people that needed to be in different levels, whether because of their skill level, their awards, whatever.

A lot of people have mentioned awards in how people are placed in their levels... I disagree with that. The single award I ever won before this at NDK was an audience choice in '99, and it was for a skit. That did not -technically- qualify us for masters, but taking into consideration what we had planned, mine and their history, and our personal levels, I felt it was more appropriate. There are a great deal of people who have wonderful skills who've never won an award. Let skill level be a bigger part of the equation, not just awards won.

Awards should NEVER push someone out of a higher level if they want to compete there... it should keep those with enough skills in the higher levels, so that they don't have an unfair advantage. If we need to use different words for the levels, so be it, but it should be a matter of keeping it fair for those in the lower levels, above all. I use myself as an example... I don't have any awards that would have kept me out of intermediate - but knowing my own level personally, and the BIG MCLARGEHUGE (uh, the glider) that we were bringing, knowing that it was going to be some serious WOW factor (well, we were hoping, anyway. XD Guess we were right), I opted to compete in masters. To do intermediate, I felt, would have been unfair, not to mention rude, to the other cosplayers in that division, even though by all technical standards/awards I'd won, I didn't have to be there. My skill level, as well as the wow-factor of the glider (the same wow factor that included mascots and robots for so many years) made that, for me, the only way I could fairly compete.

Which takes me to the need for craftsmanship to determine said skill level. I agree strongly that we need craftsmanship judging for all levels. If it's a matter of manpower, there are people who are willing and ready to do it. I like Grandis' idea of letting the previous year's winner judge, I suggested that last year, too. Let there be a celebrity judge, but let there also be a judge who can deal with performance (someone from the industry, perhaps a singer, voice actor, etc), and someone who can deal with construction (preferably a cosplayer, but perhaps even an artist, someone with an understanding of form and composition).

Regarding the skits, NDK usually lets their skits have at least 3-4 minutes (it was 5 minutes in previous years), thus the small number of them. 2-3 minutes would be more appropriate (because God knows we have the shortest bloody attention spans that I've ever encountered... XD), and that would allow for more skits.

Uh, the hotel's sound system sucked. I couldn't understand a damn thing in any of the skits.

I also agree that there should be more awards for the skits, but I think that would hinge on there being more skits, too. XD

phantomtheif, I think if they instituted the craftsmanship into the intermediate and beginners category, you definately would have had a much greater chance. ^^ People missing out on beautiful work like yours, and Paperwings, and a number of other people who were overlooked, is exactly why we want craftsmanship judging in all the levels so much. But there is also the inevitability that more recognizable costumes will get the more attention... that we can blame on human nature, at least. XD

PS: Whatever happened to the hall cosplay? I know a few years ago staff members had little pins to give out to costumes they liked... I think that'd be a great thing to start up again. ^^ I got one of those that year, and it was a real pick me up.
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Wait...wait. Phantomthief, you wern't in the Masters with you SohRyu? Are you kidding me!?
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Nope ^.^ Again, I though it was award based X3

(BTW, were you in the singing-Yuna skit? If so that was HILARIOUS. If I could've rolled, I would've ^.^)

~Ari-chan
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Yup! That was me Thanks!...next year, you better win Masters.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
keikana
moi moi!

I agree with everything Mandi and Christine said. And great job Lady Neese! This year was a big improvement!

Though at one point I was sitting there thinking "how uhh.. do they decide who's in what category?" For example, someone like me who isn't as brilliant a seamstress as others but who isn't really new to cosplay would fit into the 'Beginner' category, right? And to the same degree, someone who has won numerous awards at conventions is automatically elligible for the Masters division, correct? Ultimately this year it was up to the contestants to judge which category they belonged in, and as a result I saw some stuff in beginners that I thought "wow, maybe that belongs elsewhere".

I realize it's probably really hard to ask for a way for the staff to 'sort' the contestants, though, and the fact that the categories are there at all is smashing! X3

I'd also like to comment, since this year I was a spectator and not an entrant, that the voting got a little bit confusing when the little ballot said "Beginner, Intermediate, Master", AND "Cosplay", while we had a second ballot to vote for our favorite skit. we had a lot of people sitting there thinking "huh? Are we voting for the craftsmanship of the people in the skits or what?" I ended up leaving the "Cosplay" line blank on the yellow ballot because I didn't want to skew the results because of any confusion I might have.
-Katsucon - Washington DC Area
-Anime Wasabi - Denver, CO
-Fanime - San Jose, CA
-Otakon - Baltimore, MD (tentative)
-Nan Desu Kan - Denver, CO

-----------------------------------------------------------
+ R e d S n e a k e r n i n j a +

Last edited by keikana : 10-09-2006 at 11:10 PM.
keikana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Daydreamer

I am a very strait forword kind of guy and I don't like to buff things up with words I have to look up on dictionary.com , so my answers are short and to the point, if that upsets anyone, sry.

Pros:
Intro to lvl of costume(costumers)
This was a big one, NDK was on the right track of creating a childrens and masters category, but I am really glad that they came out with the intermediate category. There really did need to be a median there.

Pre-reg cosplay signup
This is a good start to a great idea.

Staff
The staff was very helpful this year

Cons:
It would be nice if there was an anouncement that the judges were back from judging, like maybe someone on the pa or a volunteer walk through the con and yell it, then wait like 5 min.
I like missed the first award I got(Yes I know thats my fault, I'm just saying it would be a good idea)

Staff Confusion
1. It seems to mye like everyone was trying to take control, like one lady told us to go in this line to register, then another lady moved us, then the previous lady moved us back. It didn't seem like the staff was very informed with each other, then in return we were not informed.
2. I was told that they put the Piano Squall line and the cosplay line in the same line. Not very good.
3. We were told to go to the green room at 5:30, so I went early at 5:15 and was screamed at for being early, if you don't want someone in a room, close the door.

Quote:
*hugs Tenshi*

My costume was extremely obscure (I love all of you in the entire con who recognized me! Both of you XD) and I honestly felt a little biased against due to this. (Seeing as the two costumes that did win in the catagory were more well known)

My costume was not well known, cause I made it up. I still won some awards, so I don't belive the well known costumes gave you a boost.

Quote:

Also, I suggest implementing the AWA awards system. ONE award per costume! PLEASE.
Well thats not the point, its a contest, not a feel good about yourself thing you do for four hours.
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote