Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Lunaa

Color Contacts

I have brown eyes and I'm planning to get blue color contacts for a future cosplay.

How many of you have done this before? Can you buy them in a single pair?
Lunaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I'm not sure if you can wear blue contacts over brown eyes. Your eyes might be too dark and you might end up with a color darker then you want. Personally, I wouldn't bother with contacts unless the eye color is extremely important to you. It's really expensive to get them, you'll want to get an eye examine beforehand and the contacts will not show up in most pictures anyway.
Unread 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Suzaku7NoMiko

You CAN wear blue contacts with brown eyes, Ive done it before. A good brand to look at is FreshLook. They are made to blend with your eye color to produce a natural looking color change. In photos I have taken, at least with the blue lenses, you were able to see a difference. (Especially if people are so used to you having dark eyes, it really does make a difference.)

Check with your eye doctor (you need to go anyway, to get a prescription and be fitted for contacts.)

And yes you would purchase them in pairs. You can also purchase single lenses online from many places when you need them (if you lost one or ripped one or whatever) but again, you need your eye measurements from the optometrist first.

Visit me (AzureDragon) at:
www.lijedicom / www.newyorkjedi.com

Last edited by Suzaku7NoMiko : 10-10-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Suzaku7NoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Lunaa

Yeah, I wear contact lenses regularly and go to the eye doctor annually. When I visit home this month from college I'm going to schedule an appointment to get my check up and I'll ask about the contacts. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with them and if they worked well.

I've heard both sides of the story when it comes to blue contacts over brown eyes. Some say they work and some say they don't but I guess it depends on the brand.
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Beryl
I did it all for you

Depends on the brand, yeah. As mentioned FreshLook has several kinds designed for use with dark eyes.

If you're lucky, maybe you can get a trial pair before you have to commit to buy a whole set. The FreshLook site is supposed to give you a coupon, but AFAIK, it's still buggy and won't work.

Good luck!

And always remember to follow this handy guide when posting.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
silverangel902
...is a total nerd

I just got a presciption this year due to my now failing eyesight. Hands down Freshlook. I've tried on all of them. My eyes are naturally medium dark brown. You want the colours not blends. I got 3 single pairs for free cause my eye doctor is a cosplay fan and is awesome ^__^. He recommends Freshlooks and disregards the other brands as worthless (he actually said that). Some places will let you buy a pair but usually they sell in 6 pairs or more. Shop around!!! Some places are horribly expensive and some are willing to give you a deal.
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I stand corrected then. I really don't know that much about contacts since I don't bother with them for cosplay. If I wore them regularly myself I might consider it for characters with unusual eye colors or who have two different colored eyes but nothing else. It's just an extranous expense in my book and one that I can't really afford. If your can afford to do it then I say go for it. Personally, though I've never paid that much attention to the color of a person's eyes when they are in a cosplay costume. I'm more interested in whether or not the costume looks good rather than caring if the person's eyes are the right color for the character. Just my opinion though.
Unread 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Lunaa

So Freshlook is the best, huh? I'm going to see if I can get a trial pair, since I only want one. I don't want to spend a fortune on something I'll only use once or twice.

Last edited by Lunaa : 10-13-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Unread 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
raNar
~Split.Image.Cosplay~

Yes, it is VERY possible! I love contacts SO much now! I have dark brown eyes, and I have gotten my eyes as Bright blue as Naruto's eyes!

I've used and tried both Acuvue Color Opaques in Sapphire Blue and Blue Color Max. The both look and photograph WONDERFULLY!

I haven't tried Freshlook because I did the trial pair at the doctor's office, and they just weren't as radiant us the others, because those two brands have worked so well for me. I really do love them.

Check out my gallery, in Naruto, it's a HUGE difference in my eyes. I hope this can help you

Last edited by raNar : 10-21-2006 at 01:33 PM.
raNar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
hitokirihiro

I guess I should try Acuvue Color Opaques cause I'm asian and have dark brown eyes.
I need to make them a nice teal-green to be a super saiyan this summer...
anyone else have any other suggestions?
hitokirihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
redonions

I agree with everyone! The colours from Freshlook are beautiful (I also have brown eyes).
But, actually the Freshlook (Expressions, I think) 14 day contacts are kind of uncomfortable for me. It really depends on the person. The 1 day contacts' colours were alot less vibrant (in fact, I couldnt see a difference =.=), but they felt very comfortable.
As to getting a trial pair.. I guess each optometrist is different. But if they let you take a pair home lol, check carefully - down the bottom half on some lenses it says "Demo" lol! Cool but not something you want showing up in a closeup photo of your eye ;x
redonions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

The only problem with Freshlook colors is they only come in one base curve, and unfortunately it's not one that fits my eyes very well, so they're uncomfortable as hell.

I highly recommend the Acuvue 2 Opaque colors though, I've used them for years and they show up on even really dark eyes.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Ack, double post!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #14
london2191

I'm also looking into this *if parents stop being a pain*, and I plan on getting Fresh Look. I was told by a friend that if you have a certain eye insurance you can get 'im for free. Is this true? o.O

And this is for Yuna so would that you let you get one eye a different color than the other? Or do you have to get one box of one color and another and just mix 'im? *sorry if this makes no sense whatsoever. xDD*
Unread 03-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #15
Suzaku7NoMiko

Im not sure if you can get your lenses for free, perhaps just a better price than what you'd normally pay.
You should be able to order the color lenses individually for the right and left eye.

Visit me (AzureDragon) at:
www.lijedicom / www.newyorkjedi.com
Suzaku7NoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote