Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 08-12-2002, 12:14 AM   #1
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Hair straightening...

Okay... i have fairly curly hair. Not too curly. But enough that I cannot keep it straight for long periods of time.

Does anybody have any idea of a shampoo/conditioner or spray or SOMETHING that will straighten my hair out all through?
I got two costumes, Oshi and Kaze (FFU) that need straight hair...
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2002, 01:16 AM   #2
Celine
Remember me?

I have curly hair and people have always suggested blowdrying it, but that makes my hair frizz out like you have NO idea. Here's what I do, but I straighten my hair often, so this might be too much of an investment for just a costume. I use an ironing gel (Paul Mitchell makes the best- it's called Straight Works) and then go through my hair in sections with a hair iron. This works *really* well on all lengths of hair (though it gets kinda tedious on longer hair) and is completely frizz-free!

Another product which greatly reduces curls (though doesn't eliminate it completely) is Frizz-Ease Wind Down. My super curly hair has only the slighest waves after I use this, so it might completely straighten less curly hair.

You could, if it's just for a costume, go to a salon and ask them to iron it for you. Then if you just shower with a shower cap during the con, you will be good to go all weekend.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

When it comes to straightening hair, I have tried it all! My hair is long and kinda fluffy with the ends being curly and I hate it! So, if you really want to straighten your hair (even just for a short period of time) this is what I suggest.

First of all, go invest in a decent straightening iron. The best one I have found for the money is the one made by Vidal Sassoon (it is black, with gold heating plates and runs about 17 dollars at Target or Walmart). Second, go get yourself a can of good medium hold hair spray in an arasol can (my suggestion, the Aussie line of products if you don't mind smelling a bit like thyme). Third, get some non-frizzing styling lotion.

Now you are ready to begin! Note, you do not want to do this with "clean" hair. Wash your hair the night or afternoon the day before you plan on doing this. It works better. Work the styling lotion through your hair so that it looks a bit slick and smooth while the iron is heating up. I would say wait 20 minutes before actually useing the iron. Before you use the iron on a section of hair, dounce it (mainly the ends) with the hair spray. When you use the iron, go slow, and watch for little smoke curls to come off the iron. If no little smoke curls come off, then there is not enough hair spray! Continue to do this for your whole head of hair.

Once you are done, put just a bit more hair spray in the ends and viola! You have straight hair that will last you atleast 6-8 hours no problem!

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

My hair does it's own thing parts of it are straight parts are curly and parts are wavy. I hate it cause it never can agree on one thing! If you har is sorta wavy blow drying might be the thing to fix it. Depending on how long your hair is. For mine to get straightened by blowdrying I flip my hair over and bend over and brush the underneath part down over my head and continue to brush it all til it's not tangly then i start blowdrying it using the same method. Then when it's all dry just flip your hair back over to it's normal position and stand up and just run a brush through it and it should be pretty straight. You can add some hairspray if you think it might defy you and go back to wavy. It probably wont work for curly curly hair but yeah straightening irons work wonders. I use the Steam styles or something like that from con-air. I'd get one that has a water reservoir because the heat is damaging to your hair and having the steam helps put in some moisture to your hair plus adds shine.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
venus2869
ConMom & Miracle Worker

Hair Help!

That Vidal Sasoon iron rocks! If you need to straighten your hair more, there is a better version at Sally's. It's made by Wigco and it costs about $40. They also have wig caps there.

My daugther and I have long, very curly hair and I have a tried system that works great:

1. shampoo hair with Frizz-Ease shampoo

2. rinse and dry and use the following:

Frizz-Ease hair serum(try to find the extra strenth ver.)
Frizz-ease Wind down cream (Extra strenght ver. too)

3. If you blow dry, try to find a thing called "blow dryer pik" It's a little comb attachment to a hand-held dryer that helps straighten hair a bit, but will have it fluffy.

4. After drying, part the hair in sections and use:
Pomade(Try Citri-Sheen wax or if you have a beauty supply in your area, ask for Marcel wax) These both will help with the heat of the iron making the hair straight and VERYVERY flat.

Don't use to much though, go through your hair, layer by layer. It's very heavy(hey, it's wax), so it may be limpy.

The best hair spray is a African-American product called "HOT HOT CURLING SPRAY". Its made by Luster's and is available at most beauty supplies, and some drug store chains. But if you have a Afro-american beauty supply store in your area, they will have it.

If not, try to use a spritz like Aussie Spritz/scrunchy spray. Or good old fashioned Aqua-Net.
Unread 08-12-2002, 04:54 PM   #6
KuroBara
dog of the military

Die Frizz!

Just adding on to everyone's suggestios: a straightening iron is the best way to go. If you don't want to invest in one, ask around to see if your female friends can loan you one. I reccomend Hot Tools. They're really expensive, but they're high quality and durable.

As for products, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners work well in conjunction with styling products. The Zero Frizz line is pretty good, I use their pomade to straighten or curl.

Water is your worst enemy! Be extremely careful at Otakons, keep an umbrella handy!
Unread 08-12-2002, 10:10 PM   #7
Quies
Insanity's Realm

my friend is always bugging me to let her strainten me hair, but i think it looked horrible that one time i tried.
i have the type of that that will get wavey and if it's long enough it will curl right up into locks. (points to her aviatar)
from those i know that did straiten their hair they all use an straitening iron on it after it's wet and hair spray as they go to keep it that way.
Unread 08-12-2002, 11:13 PM   #8
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

With this topic... I can have...
THE STRAIGHTEST HAIR IN THE
ENTIRE UNIVERSE!

Hehehhe... Well, thanks alot, all of you! This is more than enough ideas to get the job done! But, if anybody else has other ideas, keep on posting for other users to see.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote