Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

Unread 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Madourd

Nausicaa!!!!

I am super excited about this costume because Nausicaa was the first anime I ever saw. However, this will be the first costume I am making myself. I also have conflicting interests - I like elements of her outfit from later in the manga (specifically the bandage from Asbel) but otherwise I prefer the early manga/movie version. It's mostly because I get a kick out of the gloves that button onto the sleeve; the fringe on the other costume bothers me (fringe in general bothers me really); and I don't really like the bird design on the chest - I like the bullet sleeves alone (not that they are called that, I really have no idea). Would it be legit to basically do the movie outfit, with the bandage? I have reference images with it that way but I am not sure how accurate they are, because I have not read the whole manga. It's really hard to find in my area.

More questions to come! Especially when I get to making the hood/helmet getup.
Madourd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Kaze No Tani No Nausicaa ^^ I loved the manga, it really kicked ass. You can do her blue outfit from the beginning of the movie if you want with the bandage,nobody is going to kill you for it ^^

In the manga i think she does have a bandage while she has her first outfit.
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
geckochan

Yaaay Nausicaa! I'm about 80% done her pink Pejite dress from the movie ^^
I think just do whatever you want - assorted illustrations have her outfit in a great variety of permutations, with or without the test tube sleeve things, with or without the design, with or without the fringe (I certainly understand you wanting to skip the fringe!) - I think any variation on her blue outfit will still be very recognizable ^_^
geckochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Madourd

Woo! I am considering also doing her blue dress from when she is hearing about the "prophesy" in the movie - I think there is a watercolor of it floating aroundin my room somewhere - because the con I am going to (Anime Boston) is considering having a formal cosplay ball in addition to the usual rave.
Madourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Former cosplay ball WOO ^^ I hope there will be one at Anime North

*ahem* back on topic.

^.^ I prefered the manga to the movie,there were LOADS of stuff missing,but yesh,do wich ever costume you want you I mean,she rips her clothes alot lol ^^
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Hilary
mmm... androgyny

Yeah... Miyazaki is amazing because he clothes his characters. I mean, in Princess Mononoke, we see different phases of Ashitaka's clothes (cape, sleeves, bullet-hole, etc), and in Spirited Away, Chihiro changes up her outfit all the time. If Miyazaki is okay with his characters mixing and matching their attire, I think it would be more than kosher to add an element from a different outfit.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote