Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-22-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Butterfly wings....

I've been trying to make a pair of Butterfly wings out of cardboard covered with fabric, but in all reality, they are ugly as sin and I hate them ><! I was wondering if anyone had any creative/simple ways to construct butterfly wings w/o cardboard. My spending limit is 45$ and I'm just afraid if I try something too ambitious, I will ruin them (again) and end up wasting a good amount of money. Any suggestions?
Setsuna22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
Kurumi

..LOL !!! wow yeah sure Yukino! (Setsuna22) Making wings can be easy...you just got to think about the structure of butterfly wings....what you do...is take pretty see-through material...like the shiny pretty stuff on dresses sometimes...well yeah find material like that...and then you get clothes hangers (the wire ones) and cut them so they are straitened out..shape it so that the wires look like butterfly wings....then you loop the edges of the material around the wire and sew it together...tightly....that should work ifuokthi.i've ever done it b4 but it sounds like it might work...just a suggestion ya?....well if you don't want to use hangers...use something else that you can move and shape to the desired size and shape!!! Goodluck...!! *thumbs up*

~*rumi
Kurumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

If you don't feel like sewing, sometimes dying pantyhose a pretty color and stretching it over clotheshangers or wires works too - although the sewing does look much better.

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Actually clotheshanger wire is really bad for that kind of thing. It's cheap, of course, but it's very weak wire so if you bend it too much it'll break. Also, it's difficult to use for big wings because when you unwind it there's still the twisty bit which you can't really use for much (and it's REALLY hard to straighten that part).

So what I'd recommend is just pick up a coil of wire at the hardware store. Get it in a similar thickness to clotheshanger wire--too thin and it won't hold its shape, too thick and you can't bend it). That way you can use as much wire as you want without having to worry about straightening or breaking.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
yayahan
YayaHan.com

I have always thought that butterfly wings look very beautiful when constructed out of pantyhose material. In some fabric stores you can actually find that fabric type in bolts. The great part about using pantyhose material over wire is that you don't have to sew or glue a thing, just tie them securely at the base of each wig and then decorate to the fullest. ^_^ Good luck.
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #6
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Setsuna22, if you need a certain design of butterfly wings, go ahead and take the given advice -- but if you need generic ones, you can find a BIG pair of pink & purple, gold glitter covered wings at general party stores. ^_^; Like Party City.. http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers...ostumeid=11261 this girl is wearing them, actually.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 07:14 PM   #7
Shin
Porcelain Doll

If I were to get wings cheap, I would either find me a rave store, or a hot topic, or a holloween store and look for some cheap wings there. Or I would just take some wire and sew two pieces of pretty fabric together, and fit it over your modeled wire wings. You could then figure a way to attach elastic to the wire so you could wear the wings.

Planned Conventions: San Fransisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 05:37 AM   #8
Pink Bunnie
Beware of the Bagels

Wow Yaya thats a wonderful idea!! You just halved the sewing time on one of mah costumes thankie muchles!!

Oh and if you do what Shin said and use elastic get the clear elastic so its harder to see!! Or strips of clear plastic you can get in the upholstry section of JoAnnes could work too ^.^
Pink Bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 08:29 AM   #9
yayahan
YayaHan.com

Nyoooo glad I could help *beams*! Be sure to show pics when the costume is done! All of your work is so gorgeous, I am anxious to see more ^_-.
And yes, great idea on the clear straps, Frederick's and Victoria's sell clear bra straps that can be turned into wing straps with some creativity!
Unread 04-01-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
COD

IF you want to find some really nice ones, I suggest that you go to a "HOT TOPIC" they have the best stuff for costume add ons there. I saw there, least where i live that they had some nice wings, that could be seen as a butterfky. Also, you ever want to find any fake vamp teeth that look realy, go there, you'll find it.
COD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

yeah, I like Hot Topic. The people there are really nice, even though they look scary *-*
Setsuna22 is offline   Reply With Quote