Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
LauraC
Dangerous Beauty

Fredrick's corsets are fairly decent =) But for me at least, they dont give much support

Yeah quality corsets cost an arm and a leg O_o;;; My leather corset cost me $325 XD and that was on sale >_< I wish I coulda found a cheaper one at the time.

IkariyaLauraC
FOREVER
LauraC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #17
jessio

I have one from Timeless Trends. I was surprised; I figured since they were selling them at a con that they'd be just the decorative kind. But they very much reduced my waist.
I'm not sure how well they hold up in the long run because no one at my house will tie it for me
jessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #18
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

Hopefully this isn't a bad word to mention, but if you're on a budget Hot Topic has been getting some pretty, corset styled tops that run around $42-$50 when they first come in, in sizes XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL (XXL is like a junior's 15/16, don't know why they just don't start at like 3 or 5 and go by numbers). If you wait often they go to clearance 50% and every so often they have a week where clearance is 50% off. They zip on and off, but then have some lacing you can tighten up usually too. And if they'll fit my fat caboose and work, they'll be a good starter for anyone. Some of them have matching little skirts, too. You can check their website for more details.

I found some nice long skirts to wear with mine in Wal-mart - they all discount differently, I've seen the same things in three stores at full price, and marked down at three different prices, but I was able to get 5 different long skirts at $3 each by shopping around a little. One is all lace, one is just lace at the bottom, another has some lace panels around it, a couple others were crinkle-knit in three tiers with a little band of mesh at each tier (that one comes in about 5 colors).

Target has been getting some very gothic looking things now and then, too, I have about 4 skirts from there as well.

I saw a really cute corset on a girl who said she got it at Victoria's Secret, so I looked.. the things they have are more expensive, and looked to me to be made mostly for show - IE to fit your existing figure. Our Fredericks closed, so I don't know what they've had lately. Deb gets some corset-like tops now and then, I saw a few the last time I was in there - usually not that expensive, either.

And there is always eBay -
Unread 12-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #19
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

hmm i been wanting to make this chi outfit but i notice she wearing a corset so i guess ill have to learn how to make one. ^^::
tho it my frist time actually making this sort of stuff so i thank the person who provided the corset websites.
Fire Emblem Fates-Felicia & Jakob )
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #20
Satine

gah! Plastic is not crap! I really wish this myth would stop being perpetuated. It's how people use it that's crap.

Victorian bodices used whalebone- baleen with is super flexible and molds to your body. What they didn't do was wear their bodices with no corset, that would buckle the boning in no time. And the corsets were also boned with the same stuff but much more heavily, often with a steel busk which helps support the baleen. The baleen lets you get the super curvy hourglass shape while the steels help with vertical support at the front (and modernly at least at the back.. I really recommend it by the lacing at the back.)

When you compare how corests were made "then" and how people make them now you can see why people resort to heavy steels (which also will eventually bend to shape if not used properly.) They simply are not used in enough quantities to mimic how a similar material was used when corsets were built to last as long as possible with every day wear. Even then apparently women were taking their bones out and flipping them due ot buckling.

Plastics can be straightened, it requires care. I've used a cool iron and the bone between two layers of cotton. But I suspect boiling water would be better. Apparently boiling water is good for straigntening baleen as well.

*edited to add* Yes there are certain styles that need steel, my Catwoman corset for one, but they tend to be of a later style developed when steels became common.

http://www.marquise.de/en/themes/howto/fischbein.shtml
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #21
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for: Satine makes a great point about plastics, but much of what you find in the "lower-end" plastic-busked corsets is really flimsy and not worth your money.

Also keep in mind the "corsets" you find in Target, Hot Topic, or other mass-marketers are NOT designed for shaping. In fact, they're really more just shirts with lacing. You're not going to get significant support or achieve an hourglass shape. Even the Victoria's Secret and Fredrick's ones won't give as much support as the more expensive ones, although they are more definitively corsets.

Has anyone given any discussion over the different types of corsets? I'm not an expert by any means, but there are differences in the periods and styles that are worn. Which would people consider most appropriate for EGA styles (since they aren't, by and large, considered appropriate for classic lolita)?

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
Metanoia

Satine, thanks for that information. I always get told off by the lady that does my eyelets for using rigaline (sp?) boning instead of steal stuff, but because I'm a beginner with no instructions I'm probably not doing it right with that stuff either. The small waist cincher corsets that I made did the job though. I've seen historical corsets done with plastic zip ties (that might have even been you). Its very interesting to see the different types and how they're made.

I've seen two types of corsets used for Lolita costumes. The one that I made for my Wa-Lolita was just a waist cincher, only about 15-20cm tall and really only designed to hold the tummy flat. The second type I've seen was an over the bust corset, but only down to about waist height. I think the main aim is to still allow the skirt maximum "poomf" and a lot of Lolita skirts or dresses seem to be worn from the waist rather than the hips. I don't know if that corset was really to hold much in and up, or if it was more just for the appearance of having a "corset". I think probably the later.

Hopefully I'll be successful in making a real corset soon. I'd like a proper overbust corset that actually fits me and holds me in, but I can't afford over $500 for it myself, so its making it I guess.

AVCon, yay AVCon!
Metanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #23
Zevaluz

Some of these stores may not still be around - but here is a list of corset manufacturers and mini reviews from the alt.gothic.fashion FAQ:

http://www.ravenmoon.us/agf/gothfash2.06.html

If I was ever going to get one, I'd get one from Gallery Serpentine probably (their website is very educational, you may want to check it out), especially since they build them from your measurements - but they're not cheap and not in the Midwest. Maybe some of the links in the FAQ above will be, though. =)
Unread 12-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #24
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

Speaking as one who was wearing a hot topic corset up until about ten minutes ago, I must say these thigns absolutely SUCK.

I'm kind of a bigger girl, so as such I have this kind of indentation about where my waist is. Now, this corset curved me, but in that one place. It looked like I weighed about ten pounds more than I actually did!

Now, I Get my Bodices/corsets from Rennisance festivals, and as expensive as they may be, they look beautiful and are really comfy... once you get past the not-breathing part, lol.

I'd go to scottsdragon.com (if the link dosen't work, lemme know). Thats where I get mine.

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2015:
Lady Loki
Rose Red
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #25
Ororo Howlett
When in doubt, FRAG OUT!

Although they aren't cheap, Versatile Fashions seems like a good place to buy steel boned corsets. They have a big selection of styles and fabrics to choose from. I'm thinking of buying a few from them for future projects.
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #26
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

for egl style, victorian corsets (late 19th century to early 20th) would be most appropriate as the egl style borrows heavily from this period. the shapes changed rapidly during the 19th century, but basically, victorian corsets would be long (i.e., covering the hips and stomach completely and either just pushing up the bust or covering it; padding was also used), have an hour-glass silhouette, with either a heavily-curved or straight front busk, and laced in the back.

steel boning became common at some point in the late 19th century, and i wouldn't use anything else today (except for bodices worn over corsets, maybe, as satine pointed out).
i use rigilŤne for light bodices ONLY now, and to stiffen/stabilize other parts of a costume that are not under stress, or else they will bend / kink quickly. even when worn over a corset! i recommend not using rigilŤne or light plastic boning for any garment extending over the waist and hips (i.e., not ending at the waist) because it won't stand the curves & movement ^^.

IMHO, not-so-elegant, playful lolitas could also use shorter corsets (mid-19th century or 1950's style^^) and corset-style bodices, or dresses with light boning in the top to add subtle shape.

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 12-13-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #27
abcynthia

if you dont mind waiting a little longer on a corset there is a great site that has a lot of corsets.

www.x-tra.de (you can choose english at the beginning)

If you want a cheap corset and buy those 15 euro things: those are corsellets, those dont support, or trim your waste.

I have allot of corsets from x-tra and they are really good and long lasting, even after 4 years they still look like new (and then you can say they aint that exspensive)
abcynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #28
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Heh heh, I kind of figured that, say, an Elizabethan style would not be appropriate. They're beautiful (although they tend to make me look like a cone), but probably not a good choice for the lolita or EGA styles. Thanks for your sage advice, Kukkii-san!

I got my nicest corset from Xcentricities. Sorry, I'm too lazy to bring a link up now. I can vouch for their quality and beauty, and I can vouch for the fact that they will literally make people stop in their tracks and stare at you, slack-jawed, when you put one on.

Mine happens to be a Victorian style, but it's blue and gold-- not very good colors for an EGA. One of these days I may get around to getting another one, since they're so lovely. My fiance-- my boyfriend then-- happened to pay for mine because basically once he saw me in it he said I needed to own it. I'm fond of waist cinchers but they probably work better for girls who can get away without a bra. I can't, and that can lead to some discomfort.

Where was I going with this? I don't know.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #29
Metanoia

Quote:
I'm fond of waist cinchers but they probably work better for girls who can get away without a bra. I can't, and that can lead to some discomfort.
Neither can I. I'm wearing a bra as well with my Wa-Loli and my Cancan Dress (both of which had waist cinchers, same pattern even). Actually you can see my bra in some of the photos of the cancan dress... thats my fiance's fault... he literally undid buttons of my shirt himself before letting me out of the house... I thought, fair enough, if you say so...

AVCon, yay AVCon!
Metanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #30
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Your wa-loli is so beautiful, Metanoia. My wa-loli shows my bra in some photos, actually... Of course, if I had made it better, that wouldn't have been such a problem. Then again, any kimono-style outfit is going to show boobage on me, because I'm just not built right without a substantial amount of padding underneath.

But yes, waist cinchers + bra = boo.

--PD