Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 01-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #46
Kiko
Btssb addict

Umm i don't now if this helps but hot topic even though it's not loli alot has corsets on the clearnce rack espicaly now cause they are getting rid of all last years stuff.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #47
SpazzShadow
Need a hug? <3

I made my corset for my Death cosplay. It's not a firm corset but it is one. They are really simple to make and boning and fabric is much cheaper than buying a 50$ corset (most of the time). Mine only cost me 10 to 20 dollars to make and I had alot of exctra fabric, boning, and time believe it or not. I finished 3 days ahead of schedual which gave me time to model it before taking it to the con.
SpazzShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #48
seventynine
in disguise!

I wouldn't wear lingerie corsets (Fredrick's, VS, etc.) as outerwear, personally. Since they're usually made of very shiny satin, it's very hard to make them look like anything but, well, lingerie. :\ It looks a lot nicer to wear the shaper under a closely fitted blouse.

There are a few places to get affordable steel-boned corsets with busks. All of these are made in matte fabrics, brocade, or leather; which look quite good worn on the outside. None of these brands will hold up to hard wear or more than moderately tight lacing, though.

Gallery Serpentine has overbusts from about 145 USD. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've heard very good things. Their quality seems to run about the same as Azac Designs--flexible steel boning and stitching that can't stand undue stress.

Azac Designs on eBay has really lovely, uniquely shaped corsets running about 100-200 USD. Be careful, though. The corset I bought from her through eBay turned out to be 2" too big, even though the correct size label was sewn into it.

Alter Ego Erotics on eBay has shockingly nice genuine leather corsets from 89 USD. Nothing seems to be priced over $179; nearly everything is $99.99. The leather is wonderfully soft and supple, but there is rarely any lining in the corset. They tend to run long, though, so be careful if you have a short torso.

I don't know anything about Heavy Red. Last I saw, they were only selling lingerie-type corslettes, but I haven't been to their site in a very long time.
seventynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #49
Shatteredshards
hey, sugah

I'm going to say this as someone who corsets, not just as someone who wears them for costumes or as someone who thinks of them as a fashion clothing item:

If you want good quality, you're paying for it.

Frederick's, VS, and Heavy Red aren't worth it as far as corsets go. The first two make lingerie, cheaply-boned, off-the-rack tops, and last I heard Heavy Red has issues with sizing and quality.

I'm going to offend some people by saying this, but I don't believe in plastic boning. If you're only going to wear the corset for cosplay, yes, it should work for you. But if you're like me, currently cinching 4 inches and aiming for another 2-3, it most likely won't serve you as a true corset.

Also, people need to consider that these companies charge so much because it's how they make their living. Most of you have other jobs and don't need to make corsets to feed yourselves/pay rent/etc etc. And most of these companies, the reputable ones at least (*coughVScough*), make everything in-house instead of outsourcing to Bangladesh and paying the workers $3/day.
Shatteredshards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #50
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Wise words from Shattershards. Good corsets are expensive, but they're expensive for a reason.

On the subject of Frederick's, Hot Topic, etc., those corsets are fine and dandy, in my opinion, for occasional wear. Just don't expect a great deal of strength/support. And don't expect them to be durable.

I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a good corset that won't break the bank have a go at making one. I recently made an underbust corset and it was really quite easy. The hardest part was the boning. I wound up using plastic boning in mine because I needed to finish it rather quickly, and it was the only kind I could find in any of the area stores. But there are several websites that sell good steel boning and other corset-making supplies. Can't think of any of them off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could relocate them, if anyone is interested.
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #51
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatteredshards View Post
make everything in-house instead of outsourcing to Bangladesh and paying the workers $3/day.
Bangladeshi workers make that much? ... somehow, I doubt it.... :/

Xcentricities corsets (http://www.xcentricities.com/) by Ynhared are not cheap, but the quality is amazing. I have one off-the-rack and one custom corset by her - steel-boned, and still going after years of wear.

She also makes men's corsets (similar to 17th cen. military corset in shape, I believe.)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #52
SkippingSith
FOR GONDOR!

If you're just aiming for a basic fashion corset, Simplicity and Vogue make wonderfully easy patterns. You'd need to modify them for front busk closures, but they're not difficult and you only need about yard of your fashion fabric (and a yard of interlining and lining). Boning and your busk are going to be the most expensive parts of a corset, unless you're using some crazy priced fabric.
This is a fantastic site for ordering steel boning and the like. I've spoken to the person who runs it, and they ship Priority mail (usually next day). http://farthingalesla.com/

You ARE paying for quality. If you want a slightly less expensive boning option, try wide industrial grade plastic cable ties. You will need to replace them every so often, but it took an entire season of the Renaissance festival (tightlacing, mind you), plus Anime USA, to buckle the double layered ones in my Rosa corset.

http://costuming.org/waisteddotcom/waisteddotcom.htm has instructions on how to draft your own underbust, as well. Just a few options for those looking to make them instead of buy them.
SkippingSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #53
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I'm with Karisu-Sama-- my Xcentricities corset was a custom made for someone else, never picked up, that happened to fit me nicely. It cost over $300, but is mind-blowing. Seriously, no exaggeration, it stops strangers in their tracks. If you aren't up for making your own corset then I would give my wholehearted recommendation of them. Their salespeople are also very nice and will give you lots of instruction on how to properly lace and tie a corset.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #54
RikoBurandetsu
Account Retired

I have two corsets from Fredericks', and I agree with most that is said (except about them being crap, because I happen to like them). They are definitely not made for actual waist-cinching, and are quite shiny, so they wouldn't be much good as outerwear. A few of them are okay-looking, but the ones I have are definitely for under the clothing. I'm already very skinny, so I don't need the cinching quality of a steel-boned corset--I just use it for a little shaping. If that's all you want, then they're really not that bad. If you want something with more cinch to it, or that looks better as outerwear, then don't bother.

There's my two cents. ^ ^

Kumoricon 2010
Hime - Kaibutsu Oujo [10%]
Kanzaki Hitomi - Vision of Escaflowne [100%]
RikoBurandetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #55
Cinnamon_Spider
Little Miss Orange

I agree with the person who mentioned Timeless Trends it's not custome, but its good quality for 100$ It's what I used for my Jessica cosplay.
Cinnamon_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #56
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Just a note-- even if you're skinny, you may sometimes desire the cinching of a high-quality corset. They're not just to make your waist look trimmer, but can provide the exaggerated hourglass shape popular in Victorian fashion.

In the context of EGA fashion, though, and even EGL, I guess that's not as necessary as it would be for something like historical costuming. It does look completely awesome, though.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #57
RikoBurandetsu
Account Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Just a note-- even if you're skinny, you may sometimes desire the cinching of a high-quality corset. They're not just to make your waist look trimmer, but can provide the exaggerated hourglass shape popular in Victorian fashion.

In the context of EGA fashion, though, and even EGL, I guess that's not as necessary as it would be for something like historical costuming. It does look completely awesome, though.

--PD
Good point, penny_dreadful! I'm looking into finding a really good one for just that purpose, since I'm also into period clothing as well as cosplay and Lolita fashion. I need something that will bring more emphasis to my hips and give me that hourglass shape. My boyish figure doesn't do me very well with period Victorian. ><

Kumoricon 2010
Hime - Kaibutsu Oujo [10%]
Kanzaki Hitomi - Vision of Escaflowne [100%]
RikoBurandetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #58
gothic-cameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Blue View Post
I know you're predominately looking for overbust corsets, but this site has really nice underbust ones. The silk ones run for $99 and under. It's a guy that makes them. I've tried one of his corsets on before and they're really nice.

http://www.timeless-trends.com/
I have a corset from them, t's really nice, and holds up well. It's not uncomfortable at all ad it actually keeps my hip from poppig out of place. Everyone loves it and it looks really nice, it brings my waist in a few inches, evenwhen it's not at it's tightest.
gothic-cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #59
amoreilbello

In Need of Corset

I need a cheap, cloth, corest that will change my shape over time. I want an overbust one.

I, too, only have about $100 to spend.
amoreilbello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #60
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

By a corset that changes your shape over time, I suppose you mean a custom-made (by an expert!) corset that is intended for tight-lacing / "training" or for medical purposes. A corset like that would (and should) cost you far more than a hundred bucks.

I'm not sure if that's really what you mean though. If you want a corset that will enhance your figure and reduce your waist by a few inches (this is what is referred to as a "(real) corset" in this thread, as opposed to corsages and lingerie stuff), you might actually find one for USD 100 on one of the sites listed here, or on the Spam Board.

A corset like that is somewhat adjustable, so you can lace it more tightly according to how comfortable you want to be^^ But it's not going to (and not supposed to) be laced tighter over time. If you really want to do that (referred to as "training" among corset enthusiasts / fetishists), you'll need to see an expert and have one custom-made for you. Otherwise, it can result in serious health problems. Plus, you'll have to wear the corset almost constantly, I think, and you will have to buy a new corset from time to time because it has to be fit to your new figure (as the proportions will change, not your overall 'slimness'.)

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 06-13-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote